1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Any idea how much it all weighs? The Dakars can take a lot of weight so I think you'll be fine unless some of it ridiculously heavy. OZ-T has a cap and quite a bit of weight in his bed all the time and I've never heard him complain about sagging.

2. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Should be fine, I would say anything 500# > I'd go with the all-pro expos. They would be a bit stiff I think with your setup though... 5100's will be fine with the Dakars although they say the Nitrocharger's are better. :notsure:

3. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    You won't get 4" of lift from the Dakars unless you get the AAL that OME sells as well. I got about 2.5" over my brand new stock 4 leaf pack. 2.5-3" is about the norm.

Here's a thread with some rear measurements for you:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/173193-2nd-gen-ome-dakar-hub-fender-measurements.html

I would recommend extended brake lines for the rears. If you get to really flexing you'll be hitting the limits of the stock lines.

4. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Lwb053

Lwb053 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Regular Cab
    mattmxracer

I have the Dakars (5 springs and 2 overloads) with the OME rear shocks. My buddy and I went (about 320 pounds worth of us) out and stood on the tailgate yesterday, and the rear of the truck didn't even know we were there. Not very scientific, I know, but those are some solid springs.

bjboucher

In looking at the specs, I'm starting to think I might prefer the 885s instead of the 884s. Looks like only 10mm difference unloaded, yes? My goal is a level truck and good ride quality. I wouldn't think that those would be too stiff or stick the nose in the air, would they?

Spring name/Spring rate (N/mm)/Bar dia/Coil length (mm)

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]OME 884 / [/FONT]103 / 17 / 385
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]OME 885 / [/FONT]103 / 17 / 395

I'm finding lots of folks with DC and AC trucks, so there seems to be plenty of "real data" on what adds how much height for them, but not too much on the RC trucks. As I said earlier, this is the Regular cab, 4 cylinder, 2WD, no trail armor up front....

YOTA LOVER

I'd rather not remove any of the rear springs. I tow a very heavy trailer (technically, probably too heavy) with the little beast from time to time, and I like having all of that meat back there to handle the weight.

5. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    lightinglark956

lightinglark956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    k&n cai ,flowmaster series 40 single in dual out with custom dual exhaust out the back with 4 in ss cans ,backflip vp tonneau Blackhorse stainless bulbar ,35% tint front and rear,rainguards ,glovebox console organizer,ome 887's ,Dakar rear leaf package ,ome nitro charger schocks ,lr uca's ,diaz devil horn emblem,goodrich ext brake lines
    cheap top plate spacers !!!!! 3 in header collecter flanges ! come in 3/16 5/16 or 3/8 thickness just open up the bolt holes out to the edge with a hack saw !!!! my exhaust shop gave me an old flange to see if I could make it work

6. Nov 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    The Dakars are certainly the right leaf pack for exactly that reason. Just wanted to let you know it was an option, as they do come with two overloads. You'll exceed the max tongue weight way before you stress the Dakars.

7. Nov 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Lwb053

Lwb053 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Regular Cab

From the looks of the Dakars, I'll rip the frame in half before I'll stress them.

:D

8. Nov 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    I installed Dakars a week ago along w king shocks and front coil-overs.
    I'm have some serious taco lean right now.... I wheeled the very next day after the install but it's not my dd so I don't think they have quite settled completely. ... I plan on waiting a little bit longer before I adjust the front coil-overs....
    I'm sitting at 25'' R Right and 24" R LEFT..... how much would leveling the front right to left help leveling the rear right to left?

9. Nov 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    tacosunday

tacosunday GoldMember

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 OR DCSB
    In my experience, adjusting the front driver coilover will help level out the weight of the battery, steering column and driver. But until you get rid of the gas tank and center a fuel cell the left rear wheel well will always lean more than the right.

10. Nov 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    right! but leveling the front should still help the rear out a little bit wouldn't it? I hope it does… i have 1in different in the rear L to R :mad:

11. Nov 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Did your Dakars have a "+" or "-" on them ?

12. Nov 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    my came in with so many UPS labels on that side of the springs, that im not sure if I was looking at the right thing…. but there were what look like yellow "-" next to yellow arrows…. were those it?
    I understand that either above, on, or below spec…. but not sure i understant what it really means beyond that….

13. Nov 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    are they both " - " ?

14. Nov 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    elclem21

elclem21 Quebeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Clément
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD DCLB
    OME 885x front, TC UCAs, OME Dakars rear, 4.30 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac (rear diff), HomerTaco Raptor Style satoshi grill
    I received my set of Dakars yesterday. I was also looking at this, found the arrow, but no + or -, all I can see next to the arrow is a 0, on both of them. Anything to be concerned about?

15. Nov 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    yes

16. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    No, but if you had a mixed set the + goes on the driver's side. That's all.

17. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    No , 0 means they are in spec

18. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mine too

I asked because if you had a mixed set , putting the taller one on the driver's side helps with taco lean but sounds like you will have to do your adjustment up front unless you want to go to a non tapered axle shim

19. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    yeah, fingers crossed… I'm going to drive a little longer to let them settle a little more!

20. Nov 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , that's a good idea

To Top