1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME 887 vs 888 Input Requested

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by IrishRed, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    IrishRed

IrishRed [OP] Appalachian Ridgerunner

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR DCSB 4x4 MGM Prem&Tech Auto
    Eibach Suspension, JBA UCA’s, 16” SCS Ray 10s, BFG KO2s, ECGS Bushing, Pro Skid Plate, Fumoto Valve, Pro Grille, Opt7 Tailgate Light Bar, AVS Window In-Channel Vents, Roknlokz XL Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Bed Mat, Tailgate & Glovebox Letter Inserts, TRD Grille Badge, Exhaust Tip, Toyota Hitch Plug.
    Howdy, folks. I’ve read through numerous threads and I have a few more questions before I pull the trigger & order my lift.

I thought I was definitely going with 887s, but I’m now considering the 888s. Headstrong states they provide 1/2” more lift than the 887s, but does that extra 1/2” come at a cost of potential issues like a stiffer ride, less travel, & extra needed parts? If not, I may as well go a bit bigger, right?

I’m tempted to go with the 888s, but I’m still reluctant because I’m not planning on running any additional frontend weight and I want to avoid a harsh ride. I’ve also seen reports of guys getting more lift height than the 2.5” Headstrong advertises. I don’t want to significantly go over 2.5” of lift.

I’m not sure if this helps you provide any advice, but I’m planning on running 265-75-16 Falken Wildpeaks on my 16” SCS Ray 10s and want to keep my factory mudguards. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    t0nyvalenzuela likes this.
  2. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    heybronicetacoma

heybronicetacoma Meat Popsicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Claro
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 DCSB MT OR SSM
    Mods? Yes.
    Can't speak to the 887, but i have the 888 with 5100s and it is a bit stiff, not gonna lie. 265/75/16 KM3 LTs.

I do plan to put weight up front though..

3. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    bhayes423

bhayes423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    What are you planning on doing to the rear?

4. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:55 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    IrishRed[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Suspension, JBA UCA’s, 16” SCS Ray 10s, BFG KO2s, ECGS Bushing, Pro Skid Plate, Fumoto Valve, Pro Grille, Opt7 Tailgate Light Bar, AVS Window In-Channel Vents, Roknlokz XL Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Bed Mat, Tailgate & Glovebox Letter Inserts, TRD Grille Badge, Exhaust Tip, Toyota Hitch Plug.
    HS 3 Leaf AAL

6. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    TacoTime850

TacoTime850 Always Maybe Sometimes Never

Member:
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4
    2.5” lift, Fox 2.5 ext tvl adjustable w/ DSC, SPC adjustable UCAs, Icon RXT leaf pack, Superbump stops, 17x9 Fuel Podium Bronze wheels, 285/70/17 Cooper STT Pro
    I had 887s for a while. I got just over 2” with them. I also have no added weight except for some side steps. I felt like they rode ok. Not very stiff.

IrishRed[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    CaptainBart45

CaptainBart45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Work in progress...
    I have the 887's with the 5100's set at zero. For the price I would do it again for sure.

IMG_7403.jpg

8. Apr 2, 2020 at 10:40 PM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Dr. Emmett Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    590 spring rate is one of the softest you'll get so people who say OME coils are stiff are smoking some good dope that I would appreciate being offered. That being said my 888s sagged like every sexual inuendo known to man. I have spacers to get my ride height back to 2.5" up front. I would suggest staying away from OME coils. go with eibach or dobinsons.

lee1092, ScootARoot, Malvolio and 2 others like this.
  9. Apr 3, 2020 at 1:48 AM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD DCLB Sport 4x4 Silver Sky
    Bilsteins 5100s on the top setting, 4runner Gray TRD Pro Sema wheels, 285/70/17 Toyo AT3s, Sumo Bump stops, TRD exhaust, ECGS Clamshell bushing, 1/4 shim for the lean and one inch rear block, OEM Pro grill and garnish OEM TRD Skid plate, TRD CAI, Demon Brackets, Rigid Industries Pro fog lights, OEM Trail Rails sidebars, Diode Dynamics LED SL1 high and low beam lights, OEM Roof racks, Clazzio leather heated seats, Remote Start, TRD Pro shift knob, tinted windows, Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the headunit and sub and amp combo, OEM Puddle lights, OEM tailgate lock, OEM bed mat, LED interior lights, OEM blackout kit for letters, JLT catch can, upgraded 27F toyota True Start battery, Vleds led tail light kit with Pro tail lights, OEM Rave4 side mirrors with convex spotters,just to name a few mods.
    Maybe Headstrong doesn't know everything. My friend is on his 2nd set of OME and they sagged too. Now he is back on the org. springs and his truck rides better to him. Also if you use another coil with the 5100s you loose the Bilstein lifetime warranty.

71tattooguy likes this.
  10. Apr 3, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, for this. I wish more posted pics had somebody standing beside their truck. Makes it easier to get a feel for how big the lift is. How long have you been running the 887’s? Have you experienced any of the excessive settling or sag that others keep mentioning? I spoke to Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road a few weeks ago about this & she indicated that the sagging issue was typically on trucks running additional weight up front. Maybe she’ll chime in on this. Like you guys, I don’t want to go to the trouble of lifting my truck only to have it significantly settle over time.

CaptainBart45[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 3, 2020 at 4:31 AM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, for sharing. I had my heart set on OME, but I’m going to give a closer look to the Eibach setup. You’d definitely recommend it?

Does Toytec sell this kit? I’d like to talk more to someone about it. Maybe the Eibach rep will see this and contact me. Are people liking the ride of this kit?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Apr 3, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    bhayes423

bhayes423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    The rep is pretty active in this thread....

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/eibach-pro-lift-kit.545060/page-100#post-23069474

Apparently the 2.0 coilovers are a week out. I know you can get the Eibach kit assembled at Wheelers Off Road.

13. Apr 3, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    to edit thread title, should be a "thread tools" link at the top right somewhere that will allow you to make edits to title. :thumbsup:

14. Apr 3, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! Fixed it!

JimboAnz[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 3, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
  16. Apr 3, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    IrishRed

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Is anyone using the 886 coils with no additional weight up front? I’m wondering if that would be too stiff. I mean the stock coil is rated @ 700 lbs and the 886 are @ 660 lbs. I’d think the 886 paired with the OME NitroCharger Softride might be a possible solution to the sagging issue. Any thoughts on that?

17. Apr 3, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Dr. Emmett Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    At this point I have no experience other than reviews of those other brand coils. All I know is my coils and lots of other folks have been having the same issues with the OME coils sagging not too long after install.

I'm considering moving to adjustable 2.5 non resis coilovers at some point this year but we will see

18. Apr 3, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    71tattooguy

71tattooguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    Petaluma , Ca (707)
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OFF- ROAD
    Kings 2.5” front and rears from Accutune / ICON RXT LEAF PACK black badges doors and tailgate / method 315 / 255/85/16 Yokohama G003 / magnaflow exhaust , axle dump / meso int delete kit / meso led map lights / dome lights / wheelers front super bumps / accutune Flip kit with spacer and new bumps / Cali raised fog light pods / Cali raised ditch lights / RCI FULL SKIDS / SLIDERS / RCI rear bumper / rigid backup lights / tuned on 4.88’s
    DF368F9B-F5BA-4950-8929-B99E1552A1EA.jpg
    Just for reference I did 5100’s set at 1.5” front 4th setting , rear I have 1.5” wheelers aal. Ride is great. 265/75/16 yokohama X-AT. No sagging on stock coils. Not sure if your dead set on 2” of lift up front. You could do Bilstein 6112? You will get 2”. Good luck with your build. Post pics when done

Shades_Of_Red, IrishRed[OP] and VaToy like this.
  19. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    we also carry the Eibach kits. We haven't had the chance to add them to our site yet but we do have several varieties in stock at the moment as well :)

20. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Specifically, as far as the OME coils go, they do wear in however some of it, I personally feel, is not really being portrayed properly. I have had a handful of clients say that they netted no lift from the 888's on a stock truck. When asked to supply photos I could tell that they did net a decent amount of lift. Some of it has been narrowed down to these few things:

The client didn't realize that they had some sort of lift spacer installed from the factory/dealership. This means that their trucks were already lifted and thus this will influence the height they will see when switching suspension. This will be regardless of running an OME set up or any other one available.

There were not proper before and after lift measurements taken or none at all. I have had people not take before measurement and then take only take measurements right after the lift is installed. As time progresses the suspension will settle in. This is natural and too be expected with pretty much all suspension lifts. When it settles in people feel as if the suspension sagged, which it did, however without proper before measurement they do not know how much lift they truly gained and therefore the after settled measurements could align with the average height specifications we provide. In many cases I have seen photos and can tell by the angle of the arms that many did achieve a good amount of lift height.

I have people who hear that they are guaranteed clear a certain tire with a certain lift. If they do not clear then they feel as if there is something wrong with the lift. There is much more to wheel and tire fitment then just lift height. There are countless threads on here where some people have cleared and others rub. There are many factors at play (backspacing, overall tire diameter, footprint of wheel/tire combination, etc) so tire clearance should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lastly the coils can be confusing in general. ARB says that the 888's will provide 2" with an ARB bumper which can weigh in around 145 lbs +/-. We have found that clients can see a decent amount of sagging with that amount of weight. Since that is the case we spec out the 888's on a stock weight truck and say that they will provide around 2.5" of lift +/-. Because of how ARB designates this coil some people think they will be better at supporting load and not really sag down. This isn't necessarily the case. The 888's are the same spring rate as the 887's but they are 5mm taller. It all boils down to mean that after the weight is added you will net more lift then if you were to go with its 887 counter part but the weight will still affect the lift achieved. How much is hard to say and can come down to how much weight is being added, where it is being added to and even the mfg tolerances of the springs themselves.

I hope that this helps to clarify some of the "sagging" issue and not add to the confusion.

bodean, Thunder Fist, xerogs1 and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top