1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop n lock on a 3rd gen with JBL

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FirstTacoma!!, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Apr 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer
    No, professionals that know what they are doing will use a crimped connection like the factory, not solder.
    While solder is 100x better than the original block shown, it does come with some big drawbacks in automotive applications. I'm personally in 2 minds if it's actually better than the Posi taps shown on the 2nd post, but I still use solder over posi-taps, as I'm old school.

2. Apr 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    hotrod 15

hotrod 15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma trd pro
    Use posi taps....trust me

3. Apr 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    erminman

erminman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Offroad
    3 days old
    I just ordered my POP AND LOCK, but am also wanting to convert my Leer topper. HAs anyone done this at the same time? Same process?

4. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Smiling Tacoma Owner Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue Tacoma Limited 4 door
    side rails,
    My tail gate does not have a drain plug in the middle only a small weep hole, which the two wire connectors do not fit through. And where did most people place the bigger connectors for the short and long harness so that they can be unplugged for tail gate removal???

ToyoTacoholic likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    side rails,
    Also, wonder why they use the term left frame rail and lower left firewall grommet when passenger side would be clearer? Maybe just me. Seems screwed up to me.

6. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    hotrod 15

hotrod 15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma trd pro
    IMG_0455.jpg
    I placed my connector right by the same connector for the backup camera

FirstTacoma!![OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    side rails,
    I did too. I removed the clip that holds the wire harness that goes through the bottom of the tail gate. Took a round file and made a filed out section the size of the shielded Pop n Lock harness that goes in the tailgate. I stuck the plug end through the hole used for lowering the spare tire and wire tied it out of the way. I got a reply to my earlier post about where to place the plug that goes up to the front door, wire tied it next to the back up camera connector that has to be undone to remove the tail gate.

8. Apr 9, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    bsacamano

bsacamano Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport DCLB V6 4x4
    I have nothing to add other than I have the JBL and just followed the instructions and this video and no issues at all. Didn't need to buy any other clips or anything.

https://youtu.be/z0TDgh0ug9k

9. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    side rails,
    The Pop n Lock instuctions indicate Blue PnL wire splices to blue/silver streak wire, and Green PnL splices to White/silver streak wire. My harness does not have any streaks on the White plug shown at the top of the block, and only one post here states to splice into the wires from the black connector at the bottom of the block, Green to green, and Blue to red. So, which is it on a '17 Limited 4 Dr??? Hate to start tapping into wires and somehow blow fuses. Seems like PnL should know frankly, and write clearer directions, ie, run the long PnL lead from the back of the truck along the Left frame rail, actually means the Right frame rail from the front of the truck. Have written many many procedures and none written as PnL writes would ever be acceptable. And, I have installed many many accessories on cars, trucks, motorcycles without any problem, so I do know what I am doing given decent directions.

10. Apr 9, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    Lvgmman

Lvgmman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4
    I think a lot of the confusion comes from people tapping driver or passenger side and not stating which side they are tapping. I ordered the PnL kit over a much cheaper DIY actuator just because i prefer the mounting bracket over drilling my own into the tailgate. That being said my PnL kit is the 8535 and it's for the Tundra not the Tacoma ( i believe everyone's is) since i don't believe they have a different kit for the 3rd gen. All the same the kit itself is the same it's just the wiring that varies. If i remember right they say to go up the driver side through the firewall and most people here say to go up the passenger side through the grommet under the seat. that or through the firewall on the passenger side. Either way someone was nice enough to make a video and post it to Amazon (where the kit is $88 shipped or less) https://youtu.be/KyzdTEV_sBI he went through the firewall which i won't be doing but the wiring is with the passenger doors vs the driver door which is what i do want.

top plug closest to the passenger outside

PnL Truck
    blue to green
    green to red

Then this guy did it exactly backwards of that and it works as well he did:

PnL Truck
    Green to green
    Blue to red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZOQpLNq68

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    LA_Stu likes this.
  11. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    side rails,
    Yes, but how hard would it be to have one page for Tundra, and make reference to a second page for Tacoma where the model specifics differ? Not too me thinkst. Oh well, just trying to make it easier for the next chump I guess, but I got it done, and it works so I'll go quietly now.
    Thanks for your reply by the way.

12. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    Lvgmman

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    i agree, i think we are using up the shelf stock and going forward that is the case. Someone here on TW posted the official PnL instructions for our trucks but if i recall correctly they are going to the driver door power in those instructions.

13. Apr 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    RIDERED67

RIDERED67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD QUICKSAND, DCLB, TECH
  14. Apr 9, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    side rails,

15. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Lvgmman

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    See this is one of those times when there is more than one way to skin a cat, I'm guessing this wiring is taping the passenger rear door and the ones I am referencing is the passenger front or vice versa

T6A1C9O likes this.
  16. Apr 9, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    easbaysav

easbaysav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road AC Cement

There is a kit for the 3rd gen Tacoma and it has the same P/N as the kit for the Tundra. A member on here posted a PDF of the 3rd gen instructions a while back and just like the Tundra instructions, it states to wire it from the driver's side. I had already installed mine before the PDF was posted, and I used the first YouTube video you posted.

The P&L instructions say that if it doesn't work properly after installation, to swap the wires around at the actuator. My first actuator didn't have enough throw so it didn't unlock my tailgate because it didn't push the lever all the way to unlock. I contacted P&L and they sent me a new actuator with a return shipping label for the bad actuator. First actuator I had was burgundy, while the replacement actuator was black. When I installed the replacement actuator, it didn't work properly so I flipped the wires at the actuator around and it worked fine after that.

A lot of members were using that first video for reference around the time I installed mine and some said the wiring was wrong while others were saying it was right. I experienced both, so it depends on the wiring on the actuator in relation to the harness. As long as you're tapping into the correct wires on the truck, it doesn't matter for the P&L wiring harness because all you have to do is swap the wires around at the actuator.

airborndad likes this.
  17. Apr 10, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    Rus$

Rus$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB AT TRD Off Road
    Love having mine. One of the best accessories I've bought

18. May 31, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    Funnyguy713

Funnyguy713 I can't get Jiggy with this Shi@t

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sr5 4x4
    Spark plugs, weathertech, k&n filter
    So basically, it can goto the top white or bottom black connector to the red and green wires?

I installed it last night and it doesn't work on the top white. I'm thinking it's the taps. May need to replace or crimp down harder with some pliers for better connection.

If that doesn't work, I'm getting better taps or cutting into the cables (wanted to avoid) for a really good metal to metal contact.

19. Nov 15, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    LA_Stu

LA_Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    I just installed one of these last night and the info in this thread was very helpful... especially post #30. Thanks to all who have provided info here!

One very minor issue I have is that I can't seem to get the passenger side panel cover fitted back exactly how it was. There's an angled clip on the back of the panel that seems impossible to get back where it came from. Any tips on how to do this?

Products Discussed in

To Top