1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Project Retro Grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yotanator, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Way to do something that hasn't been done yet! Looks good and Congrats!

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Hmmm. Its probably the prep. If you clean well and add adhesion promoter to a plastic part it should not chip easily. At least that has been my experience.

3. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    yotanator

yotanator [OP] Not your average girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Custom built and painted grill, iPod interface, TRD shift knob, TRD cat back exhaust, Flowmaster muffler, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials, blacked out emblems, 3" Daystar Lift, Halo headlights, Hunter 4x4 bull bar, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, rooftop light bar, KC daylighters
    I tried to clean all the dust off very well and used primer. I haven't used clear coat yet. I wanted to sand down a couple spots where the paint ran, then touch up and use clear coat.

I seem to live in an area where there are a lot of rocks on the road. Even my hood and bumper have a ton of rock chips.

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    dang it, every time i think i have a good idea that someone hasn't done, i see where some one has lol. That looks AWESOME, you did a great job putting it all together, and props for being the first. :thumbsup:

5. Mar 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    RSH904

RSH904 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Akron, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Red and Black Attack
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Painted Stock Wheels De Badged Yellow Fogs AVS Bugflector II UWS Running Boads Hunter Bully Bar HD Satoshi
    Props for having the guts to be the first to try something new. Looks good.

6. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Custom built and painted grill, iPod interface, TRD shift knob, TRD cat back exhaust, Flowmaster muffler, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials, blacked out emblems, 3" Daystar Lift, Halo headlights, Hunter 4x4 bull bar, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, rooftop light bar, KC daylighters
    Thanks guys!

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    It looks nice, but would look much cleaner if you made it all smooth where the bondo is so you can't see any of the joints.

8. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
  9. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
  10. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Ok ;)

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    chiefridr

chiefridr I don't want a large farva!

Member:
    Carrollton, TX
    Vehicle:
    16 DCTRDOR
    As was done with the Satoshi and the Jamoshi, I think this grill should be named the Yotanator.

12. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    I don't want to be a b**** but you know what, my truck my choice sorry.

It doesn't look perfect I know, but it was hand made after all.

13. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    I like that one haha

14. May 22, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!

Haha... I was going to say the same thing... it seems that most people on this site don't ever say anything even slightly negative about someones attempt at a mod. even when it is obvious that it needs more work. and i'm not talking about being an ass and making fun of someone. but seriously, this hardly looks "amazing". don't be afraid to give some constructive criticism every now and then... and if they can't take it then they shouldn't post pictures and ask for opinions on a public forum.

but anyway.... great idea and definitely something that should be worked on more to come up with a better finished product but the pictures so far look a pretty rough.

Perhaps work on sanding down the puttied parts where the bars meet because they still look pretty lumpy. i would also suggest using something other than Bondo brand filler. it is the cheapest of the cheap and the results will not last.

good first try but the first trys are always the roughest... i'm interested to see what the 3rd and 4th one that you build looks like.

15. May 22, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    holy one month dead thread!!!!!

i fail

16. May 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

I think that everyone here is pretty much happy if the person that owns it is happy - so if she is happy with it... I'm happy for her. I'm not gonna dog her for a first crack on an original grill.

As for me personally, I would have probably did a lot more sanding - but I give her lots of props for doing something original.

Almost all of the Tacoma's here are starting to look the same. How many of us have 3 or 6" lifts? How many of us have some close version of the Satoshi or the Grillcraft mods? I could go on - but I won't...

Maybe it's me, but I give more points for originality.

17. May 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    i'm with ya on that... like i said... great idea, but the execution left a lot to be desired

i'm interested to see her third or fourth one... once she works out the kinks and has more experience working with the materials

Products Discussed in

To Top