1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rats nest

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by avid, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    avid

avid [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4cyl access cab
    I had a funny smell coming from the vents and I also noticed that the fan wasn't blowing very strongly. So I pulled out the glove box and removed the a/c filter. Wow!!...covered with rat droppings, urine stains and straw.
    I reached down into the fan housing and pulled out a ton of nesting material.
    washed it all down with lysol, and installed a new filter and all is well.
    This is so strange. Has anyone else heard of this?

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
  3. Nov 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Never heard of that happening unless the vehicle sat for a long time, like my first car. As Cypherian said, you should check for other nests, because where there is one, there may be more. I found a rat's nest ripped into the back of the back driver's side seat of my 1990 Mustang. Found another one in the open glove box, with a dead rat in it. But that car sat for 5-6 years in the back yard before I got ahold of it- that's why it had rats.

4. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Happens all the time. We see at least 1 a week in all the products.
    Good news is you know what to look for. Bad news is THEY WILL BE BACK unless you find the source.

5. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    ^^^THIS!!

Hey Mike! How goes it bud? Staying warm up there?

6. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Constant struggle Jay. You know the score. Not bad for this time of year but things are getting colder this week.

7. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I hear ya, hope your turkey day was good. We are struggling down here with this chilly 70 degree daily weather with nothing but sun shine and cool breezes. Cant complain other than that, i guess someone has to deal with it.:rolleyes:

8. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yes it was Ty. I'll send you a scarf that you can use when it gets real cold. Like 65..... :rimshot:

9. Nov 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Zombie

Member:
    First Name:
    Skeeter
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC LB TRD Zombie Response Team
    Black Satoshi Grill, Blacked Out Head Lights & Fog lights, Tint, Vent Visors, Shaved Emblems, Oil Catch Can, Ipod Hookup to Stock Head Unit, Sony Speakers, TRD Seat Covers, Xtra D-Rings and Other Small Things.... Lift and more to come
    we have pack rats down here in AZ. we put pine sol (spelling?) the floor cleaner in a spray bottle and spary parts of the car. rats hate the smell of pine

10. Nov 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Thats pretty cool, i never heard of that before and it doesnt bother the driver cause we (most people) dont mind that smell.

11. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure every part of the country has their own secret weapon.
    I've repaired the same Camry for a knock sensor code 3 times in the past year due to mice chewing through the wiring. They won't address the problem so it returns. That's fine with me....

12. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Oh we get rats almost daily, we get more tacos with knock sensor codes than anything. That and tundra's.

13. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    avid

avid [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4cyl access cab
    OMG...I had no idea this problem was so common. I live in Florida and use the truck almost every day. After talking with some people I have been told that it can happen when it gets cold. And yes, It seems that if you live in an area with alot of rats then it is likely to happen again.
    I bought some poison pellets at wal mart and placed them in areas around the house that I think the rats may be using, but I guess I'll just have to be alert to the symptoms.
    What's a knock sensor and why is it vulnerable to rats?

14. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Knock sensors sense preignition, pinging, whatever word you want to use.
    When it sees the condition it sends a signal to the ecu to cut back timing.
    The reason we see a lot IMO is that it's tucked way far into the engine with a nice cozy area to stay in overnight. The block stays warm and is comfortable. They like to chew and someone told me that they like something the wiring is made of. Soy I think. So they get a snack for them and problems for you.

15. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Do a search for mice and squirrel damage. There are lost of posts. Here is a fix a NB member found.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/149888-squirrel-damage-2.html#post3308837

Frank

16. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    As an afterthought. I myself don't use pellets for my house. I use snap traps.
    The reason being if you get them sick they go hide to die. So they know a nice place and that's where they go. (Your engine). If your out in the open and have no garage they have products you put in your vehicle they say helps.
    They like to ride.
    I have 4 snap taps in my garage. My wife went to work one day and I took the van so my truck stayed indoors. I check my stuff every day. About 3 hours after she came home I caught 3 mice.

17. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD

X-1

18. Nov 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Oh I'm sure at least. Roflmao.
    It has happened but it went and sat on her lap as she was driving.
    The panic was very real and she was lucky that she didn't take out something.
    She traded in the car.

19. Nov 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    We recently had a squirrel behind a 4runner dash. The customer came to pick it up, went to get in it and it was sitting on the floor board. They left the doors open all day with a doritos trail leading out, but no one really knows if he came out or not.

20. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    I parked my snowmobile, and the next season it wouldn't run.
    Found over 100 acorns from the squirrels had clogged off the intake filter housing.:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top