1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really Odd Noise above 35 MPH.. help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xguntherc, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Hey guys, I'm getting a weird new sound from my truck the last week.

While I'm driving and get above 30-35 mph I start to hear a loud noise, low pitch-whine, or something. it almost sounds like my engines running at 4000 RPMs when it's really running at about 1500.

UPDATE: it's not my engine but something else... maybe the drivetrain. I can accelerate and hear that it's not the engine when I'm driving down the road.. what else could it be? Something is making a loud noise I've never heard before.

Sound doesn't go away, or calm down until I decelerate past a certain point. I'll check the speed in a minute when I go around the corner.

Any advice? Suggestions

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Feb 1, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Yup. Weird noise that gets super loud past 30-35 mph. It's not the engine, but something else.

I don't think it's a belt, either. But idk

3. Feb 2, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    ryfox0276

ryfox0276 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 4x4
    Without more clues it could be a lot of things. Did you lift your truck recently?
    It could be your driveshaft making the noise (when was the last time you greased that bad boy?) your wheel bearings/ hubs.. does the noise get worse/ go away while turning?

4. Feb 2, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    grizquad

grizquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD sport
    Plasmaglow Firestorm lights, Westin Bull bar, Flyzeye interior console lights
    Power steering pump?? Checked oil lately??

ryfox0276 likes this.
  5. Feb 2, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Oil is fine i change it regularly. Don't think it's the power steering pump, but I could check that.

And no @ryfox0276 no recent lift.. no lift. But yes. It sounds like driveshaft or something that's making noise while spinning. As I go faster it gets louder, then tones down and goes away under 25-30.

I've never greased the driveshaft.

Let me check if the sound changes while turning... Any other suggestions ?

6. Feb 2, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    After more research I have a feeling it's the Driveline.

The sound goes up/down with my speed. Not with my engine.

U-joint? Bearings?. It's also super muddy n dirty underneath, even after a car wash. From a few recent trips. Nothing hard off-road, but muddy.

Should I take it to a self-serve car wash and hose down the undercarriage ?

7. Feb 2, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    ToyodaSun

ToyodaSun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    17' DCLB TRD OR
    U-joints are probably shot. Your mudding adventures gummed them up. I’ve done it before.

The job is cheap and easy. Check the carrier/center bearing before you take the shaft apart. You may want to put a new one in there if you are getting to high mileage. Spicer 5002334 is a good quality part.

Pick your poison for the u-joints.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    tcjacado and xguntherc[OP] like this.
  8. Feb 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Well, I'm at like 96k. I only go through some narly mud a few times a year at my cabin in Southern Utah.

Ok. So the u-joints are a pretty cheap and easy fix I can do myself without any special tools? Maybe I just need to grease them instead.

I'm digging through this thread, now, for anyone that finds this post in the future. I'll update when I figure out what was wrong.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/check-your-u-joints.409042/page-73

9. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    ToyodaSun

ToyodaSun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    17' DCLB TRD OR
    A few times a year is enough to kill them if you leave mud caked on them and never grease them. I did mine right around 96K on my 2005.

No special tools necessary. A bench vise will be helpful to get the old joints out if they are rusted in. Otherwise put the shaft on hard ground and pound it out with a hammer.

Make sure you get guessable u-joints if your TRD-OR is a 4x4.

FYI, there is a special extended warranty for certain year second gens and they will replace your u-joints for free @ Toyota. Check to see if your truck qualifies before you do it yourself. If you qualify definitely clean the mud off.

10. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    Can you get a recording?

Could be so many things. A diff bearing, transmission etc.

xguntherc[OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    I'll try and record it right now. I'm about to leave the house in 5 minutes.
    I'm going to hose down the underneath right now, clean off the mud, get a recording if I can, then I'll upload it for you guys to hear. @Rujack

and good idea @nikt I'll see if I qualify.... welp, it went to 2011 models, ended in Nov 18 (bullshit) but an "enhanced warranty" is still available of some sort. Maybe I'll go to the dealership

update 2: New site says warranty runs until April 2019.

Rujack likes this.
  12. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    Rujack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also you haven’t mentioned whether or not it’s related to what gear your transmission is in. Check that too.

Also, youre 4wd right? See if it changes when shifting transfer case.

13. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    I've mostly been driving around the city this week. going no faster than 45-55.. So I haven't been higher for any other gears. If that helps.

I'm 4x4, yes. What do you mean? Popping into 4-wheel and then driving?

14. Feb 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    Rujack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes. If you’re on pavement avoid sharp turns. Best to drive in a straight line if you’re not sure why it’s nots a good idea to turn on pavement when in 4wd

ToyodaSun likes this.
  15. Feb 2, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Also Jack up front wheels and hand spin the tires to see if you can reproduce the noise and check the wheel bearings and brakes while you are there.

ecgreen and Rujack like this.
  16. Feb 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Well. I don't think I'll hear it by hand-turning the wheels but I can try that.

Brakes are good, got replaced about a year ago.

17. Feb 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Ok here's a video @Rujack and everyone helping.

The low-pitch hum is not my tires, not the engine, and not just road noise. It's a brand new very loud sound. It goes away as I slow down.

Steering wheel is shaking pretty bad, but I need to get a tire balanced and that's not related to this sound. Started before I got new tires.

I'm at Walmart right now and I'm about to get a grease gun and some grease to lube up underneath.

18. Feb 2, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Rujack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tough to hear but is it related to the steering wheel shake? If so, that is likely a wheel bearing (dangerously bad if causing that much vibration & you could lose a wheel); cv axle; front diff bearing.

Wheel bearing check: grab tire firmly at top with two hands and try to rock inward and outward (hard, really put some muscle into it) there should be no play. If you feel any play or clunking your wheel bearing / hub is loose or damaged. Do not drive if it is this bad! Jack it up and spin freely with the tire off the ground. Make sure it is in 2wd, there may be a slight noise from the brakes but it should turn freely and smoothly.

Cv axle and diff bearing: did you try 4wd (hi range)? Does it change the noise at all?

Does it change when turning?

19. Feb 2, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    Rujack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If that noise and wheel shake showed up at the same time, you have a potentially very dangerous mechanical failure waiting to happen. And expensive. Fix it now to save big money and for safety.

20. Feb 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    No the sound started a week ago... Wheel shake was NEVER an issue.

New tires installed yesterday (tire works sent me out without balance) they ran out of weights (un-fucking believable)...

I'm at a new place NOW as we speak getting tires balanced.

Does that make sense ?

Products Discussed in

To Top