1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recalibrating VSC, why & how?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrobson, May 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Unless it goes off when it shouldn't

2. Feb 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    I could certainly take the roundabouts faster and in control without VSC. That nanny cuts my power before I lose any traction or feel the need to slow down, it just doesn't like my lateral G's. This is on a stock 2012.

3. Feb 13, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I'm wondering if the real issue here is that when we lift our trucks, we change the stance, or rake as some people call it. I think that the change in the rake in addition to the change in height is what causes the issues with VSC. I read somewhere that good results were achieved in Tundras by bending the bracket that holds the yaw sensor to make it sit as it did before the rake of the truck was changed...

4. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    You can say what you want about traction control and VSC but the first time I drove in snow it almost caused an accident. No thanks. Other people have complained about it in snow. If these systems were so good they would be better in low traction situations. I wish I would have had the option not to have it installed in my truck. If its not a nanny system then why does it reset every time you start the truck and why can't you completely shut it off ? Why isn't there an on/off switch where you can leave it off if you want to ? If you think that these systems help make you a better driver I am glad you are happy with them. I just don't care for them.

5. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ABS bypass

6. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    If you read through the thread, you'll see that it is when you make changes to tire or wheel size or lift the truck.

7. Oct 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    fj40taz

fj40taz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Williamstown, NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 Toyota Tacoma
    Flowmaster Exhaust
  8. Nov 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    lt4dave

lt4dave New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Calif.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4wd.. Mods in progress.
    3" Pro comp lift with SPC adj upper control arms.
    Thanks. Lots of great info. Printed recalibration info and will head to the dealer with it. Great site Thanks again.

9. Dec 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    I have a question and I think its VSC related. I have about 6" of lift (4'' maxtracs spindles and Icons @2"). When I go on freeway on/off ramps that are like a big 180* turn I almost always hear a really faint beep under the dash. It happens pretty much every day on my way home from work. As soon as I start to get into the turn it does it, and stops about half way through. I don't notice anything performance wise just the sound under dash. I can take it slow and it doesn't do it and when I hit the gas a little more it will do it. Thats the only time I ever hear it, and no VCS lights or anything appears on the dash.
    Is that just the VSC working properly?

10. Dec 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I have the same tone , it was discussed in another thread , seems to be related to the VSC possibly the yaw sensor

11. Dec 19, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  12. Dec 20, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Thanks!

13. Sep 29, 2015 at 12:13 AM
    ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central CA Coast
    Vehicle:
    '10 Preunner Acc Cab 2.7L 5spd
    2" CCM front spacers, secondary airfilter gone, OEM 16" alloys, Trailer hitch gone, Seat belt buzzer gone, Ignition key buzzer gone, shortened fact. antenna.
    In case anyone finds this thread & needs some data points, here you go & thanks to Crom for posting the Toyota 'wire mod' instructions as it just saved me a $125 dealer visit.

Problem solved. I performed the VSC zero & recal with the wire. I then test drove & noticed marked improvement, namely cornering hard at 40mph+ the VSC & ABS weren't intervening (locking up brakes & pushing me toward the oncoming lane) as often. I also noticed it almost never activated cornering left (no passenger weight), but cornering to the right w my 190lb body it had more body roll & activated/intervened much more frequently.

So I zeroed it out again, then recalibrated it, but with me in the drivers seat, so that it would adjust w my 190lbs. Problem solved. I can now corner hard at 40+, right or left, & as long as I'm on the gas I can corner hard enough to slide a bit & squeal the tires. It's like a whole new truck.

The only time it still activates is rolling fast downhill, in neutral, cornering hard to the right..but it activates much less frequently than before. Tires are @42psi.

Lastly, the whole VSC /ABS issue happened only after going to 265/70/16 from stock 245/70/16 with an alignment (zero camber, almost zero toe-in). I wasn't happening after I had previously added a 1.75" front leveling kit with alignment a year earlier..that didn't trigger the VSC/ABS intervention.

14. Sep 29, 2015 at 12:34 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Interesting

15. Feb 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    akaboras

akaboras Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen 4x4s
    Thank you @Crom

My "Slip Indicator" light came on after doing some mods that were seemingly unrelated and stayed on. I did the procedure you posted a link to and it cleared the light. Your comments were also helpful. Hopefully that will do the trick and the light will stay off. The dealer is almost an hour and a half away.

Crom likes this.
  16. Feb 18, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    You're welcome. So awesome that 6 year old post still proves useful.

clinteastside likes this.
  17. Apr 15, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    Having the same issue with lifted 16. Dealer said to see if I can find a way to update the ABS/traction control. Anyone try to fix this problem on a 3rd gen??

18. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The dealer wants you to figure it out ?

Thats confidence building , lol

19. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    I agree, but at least he put me on the right quest! Lol. He infered that he could have charged me for there time looking at my issuues seeing that that decided they were because of my mods. So I was happy that it was no charge! Although I still think the small shudder I feel is not from the lift. No way I can prove that now.

20. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The zero point calibration ( vsc reset ) is done after changing front suspension components and / or alignments , they should have a procedure for that for the 3rd gens too in their FSM

Products Discussed in

To Top