1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remove Scratches from Glass using Cerium Oxide

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tyler Lacasse, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Apr 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Tyler Lacasse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    There is not a lot of info about this on Tacomaworld so I thought I would share...

NOTE: If your windshield is at the point where you can barely see out of it from scratches and abrasions, replace it.

If there are some very mild scratches left from your wipers and general wear which is leaving almost a haze or very fine lines, then this just might work for you and will save you the expense from buying a whole new front windshield if it bothers you enough.

How Cerium Oxide works:
    This works just like a polish that you would use on your paint. A polish or compound with mild abrasives that you would use on your cars paint will take off very fine amounts of paint leaving a shine. Cerium oxide works the same way by removing very fine bits of glass.

Materials:
    1) For my front windshield I used 4 oz. of Cerium Oxide which was just enough. Cost- Under $15. (See attached picture).
    2) A felt polishing wheel. Cost: Under $3. (See attached picture).
    3) A high speed rotary polisher. Cost: However much you want to spend.
    4) (Optional) Spray Bottle (you can use something like an empty windex bottle).

Steps:
    1) Be sure your windshield is really, really, really clean and lift the wipers off of it.
    2) Mix half and half Cerium Oxide and Water in a container. Meaning if the Cerium Oxide fills up half of the container, fill the other half up with Water.
    3) Prepare your applicator of choice be it spray bottle or the pour method.
    4) Prepare the high speed rotary polisher with the felt pad.
    5) Pour/Spray a generous amount of the Cerium Oxide and Water slurry directly onto a 2'X2' section of your windshield.
    6) Just as you would with polishing paint, spread a little bit of the slurry with your polisher and then start polishing. You will want to use moderate pressure. NOTE: DO NOT BUFF UNTIL THIS IS DRY. KEEP THIS LUBRICATED AT ALL TIMES WHILE BUFFING!
    7) After several overlapping passes, spray down the windshield with water and clean it up. See how your progress is coming along.

As I said before, ALWAYS be sure that the felt pad is lubricated well with the slurry when buffing! Do NOT buff one section too much longer than another as it can cause distortion in the glass. You will both see and start to feel when everything starts drying up.

This process may take up to a couple hours to do it thoroughly. I hope this is able to help anyone out there with some mild scratches in their windshield. It isn't a lot of work, it is just tedious. Feel free to ask any questions!

EDIT: A word of advice- This stuff is VERY messy. Easy to clean off pain, but ohhh boyyy get it on some plastic trim and you have quite a bit of work cut out for you. Use protection if you know what I mean... I recommend that you cover the trim over the ENTIRE truck because it will spray everywhere. I was even finding this stuff in the bed of my truck.

cerium-oxide-polishing-powder-Jmp.jpg
    815475024_202.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. Apr 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Subbed for skip

3. Oct 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    beachingtaco

beachingtaco "We have assumed control"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Long Island, new york
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB trd sport
    westin nerf bars, ARE in-channel visors, Wet Okole's, mobtown tailgate skin, Tail Gate theft mod
    Just running down the detailing posts looking for this exact info!...Thanks!
    One question though, will this take out scratches that you can "feel" with your nail?

4. Oct 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    +1

One of the best informative posts on glass care I have seen here. Very good job. I have some basic info on glass care here...http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/de...s-stains-scratched-glass-etc.html#post5602651 and Ill link this thread in mine.

Only difference in methods I use is I create a slurry in a bowl and dip my felt pads into it. Same difference....I just use less water and more cerium oxide to speed up the process (not advised for rookies who have never done this).

Also everyone should know that by removing the top layer of glass to get down to the depth of the scratch that the glass will be distorted slightly. The distortion depends on how deep the scratch is and how much you feather it out.

:cookiemonster:

:laugh:

Products Discussed in

To Top