1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

removing your interior for sound deadening or other needs.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 3378jakesr5, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Jan 4, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    3378jakesr5

3378jakesr5 [OP] AOF, trucks, guns, repeat....

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    littleton colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCLB silver taco. Soild axle swapped, Bumpers, armor, expo..... Money pit. Yata yata yata
    Better to ask what I have not done.
    Ok I am trying to help people out with removing there interior to install sound deadener or for other purposes. This is based on removing my interior off a 06 double cab.

I will post pics later when I am on my phone.

Tools you will need.

· Socket wrench

· Electric Impact wrench (not needed but makes life easy)

· Medium size Philips screw driver

· Small flat head screw driver

· Large flat head screw driver

· Varying lengths of extensions

· 14mm socket

· 12mm socket

· 10mm socket

· Jewelers flat head screw driver (depending on how small your flat head screw driver is)

You will want a large space to set things as they come out if you are removing a lot of things and make sure to not misplace any of the bolts to where they belong.

If removing only the back seats for the back wall fallow the blue steps

If removing only the door panels of the truck fallow the orange steps

1. Start by removing your back seats start with taking out the bottom half’s, there is a 14mm bolt at each hinge that can be accessed when the seat is folded up. The seat will remove after those two bolts on each half. To remove the back rests, first start by removing the seat belt mounts from the floor, using a 14mm (there is one on either side of the truck and then the buckles in the middle) now on either side of the truck there will be a bracket that bolts the seat to the cab. Fold down the seats to get access and Remove the two 12mm bolts from each side. Then in the center where the two seats meet at the hinge there is a black cover on each side, remove the cover to show the 14mm bolt and unbolt those two bolts. The back rests should be able to be removed from the truck now.

2. Now remove the back cubbies from the truck there are tree 10mm bolts on the driver side small cubby that need to be removed and 2(or three can’t remember?) that need to be removed on the larger passenger side (if you have a JBL it’s the same for the driver and you will see the bolts that need to be removed for the passenger as well.) once all the bolts are removed you can pull on the driver side cubby to free it from the pins holding it in. the passenger side will either come with it or stay behind either or is fine it just depends on how hard you pull. You can go ahead and remove the two cubbies from the truck.

3. Removing the rear seat bracket and latches. You now have access to the two 12mm bolts holding down the center bracket for the back seat rests, go ahead and remove them and take the bracket out of the truck. Next the two brackets (one per side) that hold the back rests in place when up. Remove them remembering what orientation they go, with a 12mm socket.

4. Mark all the holes that cannot be covered up if installing sound deadener circle with a sharpie or do whatever it takes to mark or remember what holes where used for clips or bolts to hold everything down that you have removed so far. (and through the rest of the removal)

5. Removing the side panels off the c pillars of your truck. This is the very back of the truck where the rear seat belts are. Start by removing the kick panels off the bottom of your door opening (they just pull strait out, start on one side and pull up) now mark where the black weather strip starts and stops on the bottom of your door openings, then if only installing in the back panel and not the ceiling only pull off the weather strip starting from the back and up to where the ceiling carpet starts. (if removing the ceiling remove the whole strip and mark what was the front of the strip and what was the back) next look to see if there is any gold colored bolts that are holding the bottom half of the c pillar plastic on (the original owner had my backs seats apart at one time and lost a lot of parts) if not then go ahead and pull the bottom half off. Where the two half met there will be two gold screws holding the top half on, remove these. Next take your small screw driver and remove the cap that is towards the top of the pillar and remove the bolt using a 10mm socket. After a total of 3 bolts are removed the top half will be able to be pulled off. I did not mess with the seat belt assembly and just pulled some of the belt off and let it hang out side of the truck.

6. Removing your rear door panels the black trim piece going up the side of the window on the backdoors will have to be the first thing to remove, start by pulling from the top and working your way down it just pops out of the three tabs. Next there is two screws on the door, one behind the latch to open the door and the other in the handle. The one in the handle is visible and needs a Philips to remove, the second one is under the little square cover behind the latch, use a small flat head and pry the cover off, then use a Philips screw driver to unscrew the bolt. Next thing to do is pull the whole panel off, you can go and find some trim removal tools for this but I have yet to use it on 3 trucks so it’s up to you. Start in the bottom corner where the hinges are and you have some place to grab. Pull firmly on the panel and as the pins pop off work your way around the bottom and up the other side. Then just lift the whole panel up to unseat it from the door. There is one plug for the back windows that is on the panel. Reach between the door and panel and find the switch go to the front of the switch (towards the front of the truck) and push to the back and up to pop it out. Unplug the switch and the whole door panel will remove from the truck. If removing for sound deadening you will also have to remove the bracket that the handle screw came out of. Using the Philips or 10mm to remove the 3 screws. You will also have to remove the plastic sheet off the door, the black glue does not have to be removed to install sound deadener.

7. Removing the front doors from your truck. There is a triangular piece in the front of your door that covers the side mirrors this piece is held in with clips, just pull it off or use the flat head screw driver to pry it off. Next there is two screws in the door, one in the handle behind a cover and one behind the latch behind a cover. Remove both of these with the Philips screw driver. Then start on the bottom corner by the hinge and pull the panel off the door and work your way around and up the sides then pick up the panel and unseat from the door. Reach between the door and panel and find the switch panel front (towards the front of the truck) and push back and up to remove from the door panel. Unplug the switches and remove the panel from the truck. If installing sound deadener you will have to remove the bracket that held the screw for the handle. Remove the two screws with the Philips screw driver. The arrow on the bracket points towards the front of the truck. You will also have to pull off the plastic sheet that is stuck on the door. Once the plastic is removed to access the inside of the door remove the 4 screws holding the metal panel to the door, using a Philips screw driver.

8. Removing front seats use a 14mm to remove the 4 bolts holding down your rails to the cab. In bolt in each corner (there could be a plastic cap over them) when taking front seats out try not to pull the bar to adjust the seat but if you do it’s not the end of the world you just have to hold the bar open to move them back to line them up. Unplug all the wires from the bottom of the seat before attempting to remove seats from truck. :p

9. Removing b pillar covers for removal of floor and or ceiling start by removing kick panel off of the bottom of the door opening on both front and rear doors by pulling up on it to pop the tabs lose. Mark where the weather strip starts and stops and what is the front and back then remove the weather stripping. Next take the cap off of the bottom of the seat belt and remove the bolt holding the seat belt using a 14mm socket. You can now pull the bottom half of the cover off by pulling to the center of the truck. The bottom of the top half will have two gold screws, remove using the Philips screw driver or 10mm socket pull out from the bottom of the panel to release the bottom half of the top panel. The top half is secured by a slotted tab. To remove tap the cover towards the front of the truck to remove. You can now feed the buckle and bolt through the slot and remove the panel from the truck.

10. Removing center console first if you’re like me find a large bucket to unload all the things out of your center console. Take a fork, knife, Velcro, piece of tape, anything that can get a grab on the carpet of the liner on the bottom and pull the bottom out. Next there will be two gold colored bolts down there, take your 10mm and remove them. Next unscrew the shifter (can be left on and pulled around if stock shifter) and then grab your single cup cup holder and pull up and remove the bezel. There will be two bolts that are on the outer sides and are black you can use a Philips screw driver or a 10mm socket to remove them. There are two more black screws holding the gray center console to the shifter assembly, remove these too. You can now pull the center console out and then the front of the center console out as well. The front part is held in on the dash by pins they just pull out with the console.

11.Removing carpet. With your door jamb kick panels off and your weather stripping off you can now pull off the front covers down where you put your feet. On the passenger side there will be a black nob down by the fire wall that you just twist off, then you can go ahead and grab the panel and pull away from the front of the truck to remove. Driver side you pull the black foot rest out (just pops off) then you will see another black nob to unscrew and then just pull this side out. You need to remove the under seat cubby located under the rear seats. Go around and pry up the centers of the pop pins to release the whole pin from the cubby, remove cubby. Finally the carpet is held down under the door jamb kick panels this will be a white clip 6-8 inches long take a screw driver and pry it up to pop it off. (You might have to start folding the carpet back to keep these tabs from reengaging their slots.) The carpet should remove now.

12. Removing your ceiling starting in the back you will locate the two hooks, there is a slot in the hook where the hook meets the ceiling carpet on the side facing the front. Take a small screw driver and push in there with a good pressure and with the other hand twist the hook 90 degrees in either direction tell its facing either side of the truck. You should be able to pull the hook out now. Take the small screw driver and pop the covers off both sides of the grab handles and take the 10mm and remove the bolts. Moving to the front open up your overhead console sun glass holder and locate the single screw in the center and remove. Grab the sides of the console up towards the windshield and pull down to pop it out. Then slide it towards the glass, unplug any of the plug you will find now. Remove from the truck. Fold down your visors and remove the two Philips screws from the outside mounts and remove from truck. Next twist the two hooks to one side of the truck or the other. (there is no clips in these hooks that you have to depress but could have to use a screw driver as a lever to twist out) next moving to the a pillars remove the covers on the top and bottom of the grab handles and use a 10mm to remove the two bolts. To can now grab the top of the plastic pillar where it meets the ceiling and remove from truck, repeat on other side. Now there should be nothing holding the ceiling up besides the center dome light (once you start the outsides of the ceiling you can reach in and push the center dome light down and un pin it.) un plug center dome light and cut tape holding the wires down to remove the wire and plug from the ceiling. The ceiling should be removed by this point. You can either rotate the ceiling and manipulate it out of one of the back doors or chose to work around it.

You have now removed the whole interior of your truck!!! Go get any one (spouses are a good candidate for this) that would be in shock if they saw your truck like this and watch their faces :eek::D or just open a beer and try to realize what you just did and start installing what you need to.

· To reinstall please read backwards through this and or do better job at laying things out when you remove them so you know how they go back.

· Do not punch any of your air bags or sensors if you have them in your doors/ ceiling if you do have them I would even recommend disconnecting your battery for the fun of it.

· I am not responsible if you break anything when removing your interior

· If I missed anything please post up so I can update

· If your truck has anything that removes differently then what was said please post what year and model so we know how to remove it for other people.

· This is a guide line to remove parts and can be missing things so if there is something that does not want to remove without a lot of force then there could be something still there

· Thanks for the time taken to read a short novel

· Ill post up pictures as soon as I can

Another post for removing head liner
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2012-dc-interior-head-liner-removal-write-up.247104/

Jake,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    eight, stealthmode, cytocycle and 3 others like this.
  2. Jan 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    :spy: When we do my access cab you can update the OP...:D

3. Jan 4, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    3378jakesr5

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    littleton colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCLB silver taco. Soild axle swapped, Bumpers, armor, expo..... Money pit. Yata yata yata
    Yup that was the plan.

303tacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 4, 2016 at 8:02 AM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    :thumbsup: subb'd
    I definitely need to dynamat the truck. I remember on my 99' and then my Dad's 02' it made a huge difference

5. Jan 5, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Thanks for doing this, I'm sure many people can and have already benefitted from this guide. My trucks so beyond stripped there is no way to do a guide myself

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  6. Jan 5, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    @SeattleCoug Check out the current Shok sound deadener GB in my sig

7. Jan 5, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    3378jakesr5

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    littleton colorado
    Vehicle:
    No problem :thumbsup:

8. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    3378jakesr5

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    littleton colorado
    Vehicle:
    first post updated and i would also like to thank @CoTacoTRD for using your truck to figure out how every thing removes :D:anonymous:

9. Jan 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
  10. Jul 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black DCSB Limited PreRunner
    Wow thanks for taking the time to share this with us, I'm sure it's gonna be a huge help to many. Great thread!

303tacoma and 3378jakesr5[OP] like this.
  11. Oct 31, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Great work. Helped alot. Doing my floor tonight, roof tomorrow

12. Jan 2, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    DMT187

DMT187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5
  13. Jan 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    Globemaster

Globemaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OR
    OVTUNE 91 1.04 255/85/16 ST MAXX FOX 2.5 ext travel ICON billet UCAs OME EL095R
  14. Jun 3, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Manfred

Manfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manfred
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    All of them
    While I wish this had pictures, that's one hell of a description. well done op

15. Jun 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    3378jakesr5

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    littleton colorado
    Vehicle:
    Sorry i wish i could have taken that many photos but i would have drove my self up the wall inserting them :bananadead:

Manfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 15, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  17. Jul 16, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    TacoME4x4

TacoME4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen OR DC
    Thank you! Looking forward to doing this soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top