1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review - Access Roll-up tonneau

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tsilliker, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Feb 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    Access Limited installed, pics still coming (was dark when I did it last night).

2. Feb 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    VitoNam

VitoNam Senior (in age) member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Detroit Lakes MN
    Vehicle:
    Traded 4 cyl Access for DC long box auto.
    > Removal of rear headrests > Access bed cover > Rear bed mat > De-badged
    My wife and I installed the "regular" model, not the LE, Access Roll Up Bed Cover last night in about two hours time on our 2010 4x4 Access Cab Taco.

Purchased it from TW member Luke at Truck Alterations. Paid $340 shipped, which is his standard price for this model to TW members.

NOBODY, not even Agricover's (who is the manufacturer of Access products in Jamestown North Dakota) online store Real Truck, could or would match his price! Real Truck's bottom line was $362 Shipped. Go figure.

Fairly easy to install, well made, and streamlines your ride. GOOD STUFF!

3. Feb 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
  4. Feb 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Railwayrog

Railwayrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dammeron Valley, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC 4x4 Off Road
    I had the same issues since I bought my Taco to haul dirt bikes.
    And yes by far this is the best cover for this application.
    I did some other mods for securing the motorcycles, bolted a box bar (with a backing plate) to the bed but I had build it out with a piece of Trex and I added "I" bolts for the tie downs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Twirlin

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    nice setup man. I'd do something similar if only I had more bikes! Just the one though. BUELL!

6. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    mjhenks

mjhenks Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Any of you have a before and after gas milage compairison?

thanks

7. Feb 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    Railwayrog

Member:
    Dammeron Valley, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC 4x4 Off Road
    You can use this same set up for one bike, the box bar has a center wheel slot.

Bought a scangauge but I haven't been able to set it up for checking mpg.
    I figure with two dirt bikes and gear I'm looking at around 700lbs. I don't think there is much wind drag from the bikes to effect mpg.

8. Mar 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    Twirlin

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey

9. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Railwayrog

Member:
    Dammeron Valley, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC 4x4 Off Road
  10. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    mjhenks

mjhenks Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Was looking for a Tonueau and so far this design seams like the best.

Asside from my "do you actually save on the gas" question above, a few more Q's.

Anyone have one on a Gen 1 w/bedliner? Seams like the front seal would not adhear very well with the bedliner.

Anyone in so.cal have one? Would like to look at one installed.

Thanks

11. Mar 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    infidel

infidel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4
    Lock-N-Roll bed cover Nerf Bars
    I installed the roll-n-lock in mine love it but it was twice as much. Need to lock up scuba gear while traveling. It was the only cover I could find that would lock the tailgate.

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    inlinejohn

inlinejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4WD LB
    3" spacer/AAL lift, Toyo Open Country MT 265/70R17, Kenwood USB, Truxedo LowPro QT, Grillcraft w TOYOTA emblem...coming soon, Avid Offroading Sliders...coming soon.
    I've made several phone calls and some internet research and this is what I've learned.

Truxedo LoPro cover:
    1) you do not need to remove your factory bed rails
    2) your current D tie downs are maintained, BUT limited in movement (fwd & aft) because the Truxedo brackets mount IN your rails (trapping the tie downs) and limiting their movement. And the rails of the Truxedo have notches at set locations to allow clearance of the tie downs, but of course limits their movement to this location only.
    3) these covers sit 1/2" - 3/4" above bed sides.

http://www.truxedo.com/pdf/1117391-tocoma0508-spclinstrs.pdf

See link below from SWEETBABOO that will eliminate the movement issue of your D tie downs.

Access Tonnosport & Vanish cover:
    1) you temporarily remove your factor tie downs/rails because the cover rails mount behind your factory rails which get spaced out with spacers at each Torx bolt location (they supply new longer bolts)
    2) because these covers sit so low, you will lose the D tie downs, unless you follow SWEETBABOO's modification steps outlined in post:

(http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pr...iew-access-roll-up-tonneau-2.html#post1360145)

3) factory rails are free and clear and D tie downs (if modified) have freedom of movement (fwd & aft)
    4) these covers sit 1/2" above bed sides
    5) difference between Vanish and Tonnosport is tension bolt system. Tonnosport has bolt w manual (screw driver) adjustment, Vanish has EZ-dial (for the lazy people). Hardly worth the extra price.

Prices:

Covers that sit 1 1/2" above bed sides:

Truxedo LoPro = $476

Access LE = $492 (for reference - this top sits 1 1/2" up, so D tie downs are maintained)

Covers that sit 1/2" above bed sides:

Access Vanish = $356

Access Tonnosport = $299

Bottom line = if you want a VERY low profile cover, choose the Access Vanish, Access Tonnosport, or Truxedo LoPro QT. If you want a high sitting cover that does not require modification to your D tie downs, choose the Access LE.

Of course there are many other models/brands out there, but these are the few I've narrowed my search/needs down to. I do not want a hard shell cover that hinges. I found the hard surface rollups to be too expensive and take up a big space at the front of the truck bed AND drainage hoses will impede in the lower area of the truck bed (making it difficult to slide 4 x 8 sheets of material up to the front w/o removing these hoses.

I hope all my research has helped someone looking for a bed cover to fit their needs. I will post installation pics/instructions/modifications when I receive cover and install.

13. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Inlinejohn:
    Very nice write up.

I would add that if you check with Truck Alterations the prices will be a lot lower. Great customer service and quick shipping as well.

14. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    inlinejohn

inlinejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4WD LB
    3" spacer/AAL lift, Toyo Open Country MT 265/70R17, Kenwood USB, Truxedo LowPro QT, Grillcraft w TOYOTA emblem...coming soon, Avid Offroading Sliders...coming soon.
    True. As I was trying to get the post finished, I was just quickly looking at Autoanything.com for prices. I did look at truckalterations, and the prices were similar....I think :)

Actually, just checked and those prices are pretty much what truckalterations has.

Jason @ http://www.burtmanindustries.com/ can get me:

Truxedo LoPro for $400 + $30shipping
    Access Vanish for $345 + $30shipping
    Access LE for $480 + $30shipping

15. May 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    truck alterations has Tacoma world special pricing, search for their name and yo can find the link. I even e-mailed them to make sure the TW prices were accurate, just cuz they were so much cheaper than everywhere else. Not to mention my order went through on a friday and it even showed up monday

16. May 28, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    I bought mine from Truck Alterations ($385.00 shipped) this past Monday, received it Wednesday and installed it Thursday (last night).

1. It took about an 1 1/2 hr to install.

2. It does set up about 1 1/2 inches but it looks great.

3. You have full use of your bed cleats and tie downs.

4. I did not use the seal that came with it for the back as it seals great without it.

5. It takes two people to install it unless you use clamps to hold the Taco side rails and the Access LE Rails as you tighten the screws (start with the middle ones first).

6. I did not even have to adjust the tension as it fits tight like a drum.

7. It rolls up and ties down neatly with the tie downs.

8. I am vrey satisfied so far and will upload some pictures this weekend. :):):)

17. May 28, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Scorn:
    Nice choice. Mine made it through the winter with no problems and we had two snowfalls of greater than 20" each time. One of the blizzards had 32" of snow.

I use 303 Aerospace to keep it looking clean and black.

DSC_0009_1d7b8e16a032dc6dd5297a88a49439c33bde9517.jpg

DSC_0013-1_d26d20d7ceac62e0702e5f3056be56f2e83e4587.jpg

18. May 28, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    glad you posted those pics, I isntalled mine last month and was a little nervous about what a minnesota winter might do to it. I feel much better now

19. May 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    How often do you apply the 303 Aerospace?

20. May 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Usually every time I wash the vehicle. I might skip a wash every now and then.

I live in the DC metro area and there is a lot of dirt and polution in the air. My Tacoma does not have the comfort of being garage kept. We have a 2 car garage and 3 cars. LOL

Tip:
    Apply the 303 with a foam pad you would use to apply wax with. When you finish the cover give the door weather seals a coat of the 303 as well.

I find that the seals last a long time when you do a 303 wipe down on a regular basis.

The seals on our 98 Pontiac Transport still look great 12 years later.

Products Discussed in

To Top