1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rumble/Vibration when deaccelerating between 20-15 mph

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaZL, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Oct 24, 2015 at 7:34 PM
    TacomaZL

TacomaZL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    2013 Regular Cab 2WD 5 LUG

When deaccelerating from 20-15 mph, the truck will sounds like it is rumbling/vibrating. Comes from the front/middle of vehicle. Promptly stops after exiting this speed range. Believe it to be coming from drive shaft?

I have noticed the problem is intermittent and seems to get worse in wet conditions. does not happen at all times and seems to happen more on certain roads then others. DOES NOT happen on the highway at all even when getting on and of exits. Does not matter if braking or not. Any ideas as to what it is?

2. Oct 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    mileage ? auto or manual ?
    Turn the truck off in neutral and coast at the speed where you feel the rumble . Do you still get the rumble ?

3. Oct 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    40,000 miles, Automatic Transmission.

4. Oct 24, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I'll have to switch to neutral tomorrow, cars parked and people are parked behind me. Watcha thinking it is?

5. Oct 25, 2015 at 5:57 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    By shifting to neutral and cutting the engine it will isolate the engine from the problem. If it doesn't rumble etc with the engine cut it would more likely be an engine problem. If it still does it with the engine cut it is more likely a drive line issue.

TheTrooper and gearcruncher like this.
  6. Oct 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Just drove around for ten minutes, of course it only happened once. It happened so fast I couldn't tell for sure if cutting the engine stopped it or no. I'll post again when I can actually tell for sure what it is. If it is the engine, what could it possibly be? Or is it too general to have an idea of what it is.

7. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:01 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Sad to say, after several days of driving the problem has only occurred about 5 times and STOPS when the truck is switched into neutral. Any idea what it could be? Something major?

@Jimmyh
    @gearcruncher

8. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Shifting into neutral takes the load off of the drive line. It could easily be a u-joint going bad. Do you service the truck yourself? Has the drive shaft been greased at regular intervals?

Krazie Sj likes this.
  9. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    2WD trucks (to my understanding) do not have zerk fittings on them to be hit with a grease gun. I admittedly have never confirmed this with my own two eyes but have heard this info from other members and trusted it to be true.

With 40,000 miles on the truck, isn't the driveline still covered under warranty? Or would this most likely be something they'd make me pay for?

10. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    It's $35 to fix it yourself. Take the drive shaft off and check for play. All you need is a jack stand and some wrenches and socket set. Very easy to do, and it'll be a definitive yes/no as to where the rumble is coming from.

11. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:30 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Luckily I have all those tools all ready.

Don't I need to mark off the driveshaft with whiteout or something before I take it off?

Also, if I find play, what do I need to do? Replace the U-Joint?

12. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The driveshaft is balanced and should not need to be marked, though it is a good practice to do so. It insures that you put everything back together the same as it was. Just mark one bolt front and rear.

Take a look at the u-joints, the zerks will be visible if they are there. I think i do remember reading in the past that some models have no zerks.

Drive shaft could be off balance - either a weight missing, or something stuck to it. Very unlikely though.

Have you changed anything on your vehicle that could create a vibe? lift/ level, airbags, new wheels/ tires...?

Edit: Keep in mind that it's very difficult to identify the location of a vibration or sound from the driver's seat. A vibe resonates through the entire vehicle.

13. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Bigger Tires (FROM 215/70R15 TO 235/75R15) and Rims with different offset than stock. However the problem existed prior to these mods as well. I have a 5 lug if that is relevant at all.

14. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    All info is good info. I've had sealed u-joints go bad within a year on the one ton. No reason you couldn't see the same in 40K

15. Oct 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Alright everyone, thank you very much for all the help.

My last question is if there is a write up on here for the 2WD taco? If not, any good sources of info detailing the job?

16. Oct 29, 2015 at 9:31 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Park, chock tires. I like to jack one rear tire up so I can spin/align the drive shaft when you go to put it back on.
    Get another jack under the drive shaft and start undoing bolts. Rest undone end on jack stand then do other end. If yours has a carrier bearing do that first before the flange bolts.

Press out (beat with a socket+bfh) busted cardon. Press in (beat again with socket+bfg) new cardon. Reinstall in opposite order.

Very good write up on here with pictures for 4wd. Only mark the drive shaft/flange if you replace the cardon. Otherwise you should be fine. You don't need to mark the Transmission/diff flange+drive shaft. It isn't balanced in relation to those.

17. Oct 29, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Some do have Zerk fittings, My 2012 Prerunner does have three zerks and yes the power train is covered until 60K Miles. Ypou never know for sure unless you look. Note: They also do not grease the u joints during the free service.

I grease mine every oil change and pump until I see new grease come out all four bearings..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  18. Oct 29, 2015 at 10:08 PM
    TacomaZL

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Thanks alot Jimmy for the reply, I will check the driveshaft for zerks and to confirm that it is in fact the u-joint causing the issue.

Do you agree with the drive shaft/ ujoint prognosis or do you believe there's a chance it's the engine.

19. Oct 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It could be a u-joint or the carrier bearing or simply the pinion angle to the drive shaft. I know some have issues with the drive shaft angle.... A complex issue.

20. Oct 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Vibrations
    Have you greased your driveline ?http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...rks-total.html
    Does the truck vibrate in park or neutral and does the vibration change with accelarator pedal ?
    Does the truck vibrate while holding the brakes and hitting the gas - Automatic ?
    Does the truck vibrate in neutral at a stand still ?or coasting in neutral ?
    Does the truck vibrate in 4x4 ?
    Does the truck only vibrate in 2 wheel drive ?
    Does the truck vibrate with the serpentine belt removed ?
    Does the truck vibrate cold or hot ?
    Does the truck vibrate if you select nuetral and coast to a slow roll without using the brakes ?
    Does the truck vibrate as you are braking ?
    Does the truck vibrate with weight in the truck or empty ?
    Does the truck vibrate while upshifting ? Have you checked your trans fluid ?
    Does the truck vibrate while downshifting ? Have you checked your trans fluid ?
    When was your last transmission fluid service ?
    Now that you have a lift kit installed the truck vibrates . Did you cancel your drive line angles ?
    Have you looked at the condition of your tires ? Toyota says to rotate every 5000 miles .Tacoma tires must be road forced balanced using the Haweka adapter on the tire machine [​IMG]tsu00296.pdf
    When was the last time you rotated your tires ?
    Have the balance weights fallen off the tires ?
    The proper and only way to test for bad universal joints is with the driveshaft removed . You cant tell if the universal joints are seized or tight spots with the driveshaft on the truck . You may see play in the universal joints , but you wont be able to properly check the u-joints without removing the driveshaft .All it takes to create a vibration is one seized universal cup and there are 4 cups within each joint .
    With this said , you cant tell if that cup is seized with the driveshaft connected .
    Removing the driveshaft and manipulate each universal joint by hand from side to side feeling for tight spots as you go
    If you beleive its bad motor mounts or transmission mounts , grab a big pry bar and pry at the mounts to see if the rubber is torn or weak .

Link to transmission servicing https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...sions-write-up-your-4-speed-automatic.325531/

http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com/en-US/Technical/Documents/Driveline FAQ's.pdf

Products Discussed in

To Top