1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Prevention/Treatment Consolidation Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoGlenn, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Aug 2, 2015 at 3:40 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Holy crap! This thread!:eek:
    Great piece of work. :cheers:

2002Tacoma4x4 likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    STBTacoTRD

STBTacoTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Hello All,

While I am not a Tacoma owner yet, I am doing my due diligence in researching the Tacoma before buying one. So far, I like what I see and I really appreciate the compilation of information on this particular thread. I have been reading the info on this thread for about 4 days and I am still not all the way done!! Anyways, after doing some other research on the rust prevention topic, I finally found an update to the Texaco Rust Proofing Compound L. Here is where you can get the product:

http://www.michiganpetroleum.com/images/application_category_documents/33.pdf

I just called them today, 8/24/15, and they have some in stock. The cost for a 5 gallon pail (the smallest denomination that they sell) is $142.80. For those of you in the area like me, you can pick up the product at their location in Port Huron. They are open M-F from 8am - 5pm and on Saturday from 8am - 12pm. If you need more than 5 gallons, they have larger quantities.

Also, for the area of the frame by the cats, I was thinking of using this stuff inside the frame rails due to the heat issue. Not sure if you can use the other stuff (Amsoil HDMP, CRC Marine, etc) due to the vapors and its relatively low flash point. It comes in a gel form and in an aerosol form. Still working on trying to find it by the can instead of the large quantity case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWA2US?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i3

Please keep updating this thread with your findings, they are immensely helpful!! While I still have another OEMs leased truck, I will be trying the different products (CRC 06026 HD Marine Corrosion Inhibitor, Boeshield T-9, Fluid Film, Amsoil HDMP, and hopefully the Compound L) on my frame in different locations to judge their effectiveness. So far I have sprayed on the Boeshield T-9 and the CRC HD Marine products to the outside frame rails underneath the body portion of the truck. I had to paint the frame area at the rear wheels with some epoxy paint so I have to let it seal up for 7 days before applying the corrosion protection and then I am going to apply some of the other products to those areas.

One other question - With the Amsoil HDMP, can you put it or are you guys putting it onto the outside of the transfer case and transmission and the oil pan? In this thread:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-rust-prevention-experiment.310580/

The OP, TerribleTT said that he put it on everything. Just wanted to check exactly what everything was.

Thanks again!!

3. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    2002Tacoma4x4

2002Tacoma4x4 TRD 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    C K
    Vehicle:
    Limited Edition Double Cab TRD off road 4WD
    Thanks for the info............

What state you live in ? If you are looking Tacoma , I just offering mine... you may check

4. Aug 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    STBTacoTRD

STBTacoTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Sorry, trying to update my profile. I am in MI.

5. Aug 25, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lets talk about this point a bit, since I didn't see it covered in depth.

The problem in this area has to do with a tendency for the steel frame to rust through from the inside out. You will note that this part of the frame is boxed, and there really isn't much access to the inside of the frame.

The problem here that causes this, is that although *we* don't have good access to the inside of the frame in this area, the salty crud on the road *does*. In fact, the salty crud on the road will literally SHOOT into this exact area!

With a flashlight, take a look up into the front cab mounts. If you shine the flashlight into them, you will notice that there is actually an enormous gaping hole in the frame rail at the back of the cab mount! When you drive through salty crud with your front wheels, it shoots up into the bottom of the cab mount, which redirects it straight into the hole in the frame rail, thus loading your boxed front half of the frame with the stuff you LEAST want your frame exposed to.

And its not exactly an easy job to coat the inside of that boxed section with any of the various products to protect it!

So the best thing to protect this frame, IMO, is to block off that access to the inside of the frame.

6. Aug 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    STBTacoTRD

STBTacoTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Also, in other research, the heat from the cats also aids in the degradation of the existing coating on the frame and therefore to the formation of rust. Has anyone tried this type of product over the existing heat shields? Maybe this would help to slow down the heat degradation issue:

http://www.koolmat.com/heatmast.shtml

7. Aug 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    2002Tacoma4x4

2002Tacoma4x4 TRD 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    C K
    Vehicle:
    Limited Edition Double Cab TRD off road 4WD
    Sounds good idea for those whom live on states that snow a lot, I"m lucky Texas... Good found data dude:burnrubber:i will buy it , however Chasis Saver paint 1st

8. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    maybedave

maybedave Flying Spaghetti Monster... I believe.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    Powered Pop & Lock
    Ok I'm about to ask a stupid question... :anonymous:

Is there anywhere under the truck where rust is "normal" and "ok"? Obviously I'd want my frame protected, but I was crawling around under there today and noticed some rust on the flanges of my muffler assembly. Should I spray the heck out it? And what do I do to avoid painting the bolts in place?

Thanks for your input.

9. Aug 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
  10. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    What is the best way to clean off all the grease and oils when u want to start priming frame components?

11. Aug 31, 2015 at 2:26 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    The degreasing and prep process recommended by the manufacturer of the prime/finish system you choose.

12. Aug 31, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    maybedave

maybedave Flying Spaghetti Monster... I believe.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    Powered Pop & Lock

Thanks, DoorDing, for your reply. So everyone drives around with rust on these parts or should I pursue another solution?

13. Aug 31, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    My stock exhaust has rust. I will prolly replace with all stainless including the hangars when the time comes.

14. Aug 31, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    I just sprayed rustolium flat black over all the welds and seams on the frame/cross members, and sprayed 10k mile old diesel oil out of our Passat tdi all over the frame took a rag a wiped the excess all around. It stopped dripping about 2 days of driving around. I know it works as well as this other stuff, and its free. do it over a tarp
    [​IMG]
    just an idea

15. Sep 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    alphabravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Frame all cleaned and painted from the cab back. Waiting for springs and shocks.

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

Currygoat and TRDSport10 like this.
  16. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn [OP] Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    For times I'm living in areas with salted roads, I wish to wash my frame/undercarriage frequently; so I decided to try to build a washer of my own; got inspiration from these guys:
    http://www.theunderwasher.com/
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...under-car-washer-water-pressure-question.html

Went to Lowes and got:
    DSCF9928.jpg

drilled 3/32 holes every 4" along bottom tube; after assembly:
    DSCF9930.jpg

First test had excellent high pressure jets 6' into the air, but the weight of the water made the tubing bend too much, so reinforcement was needed. Added 3/8" rod attached with hose clamps:
    DSCF9935.jpg

Final test- washes great, I can thoroughly wash off the underside in less than 10 minutes:

DSCF9937.jpg

Parts and cost:
    3/8 rod – 5.96
    6 hose clamps – 6.00
    quick connector - 2.98
    glue/primer – 6.98
    1/2" cpvc tubing and fittings – 6.83
    total - $28.75

Maybe pvc is more rigid than cpvc?, if one were to construct a similar washer with 3/4" pvc instead of 1/2" cpvc, they might not need a brace.

I may try more experiments with hole sizes and numbers.

Edit:

Further experimentation suggests 3/32" holes every 2" along the bottom member seems ideal; this pattern allows for good coverage with sufficient pressure to remove salt, mud, and debris.

The water pressure may be powerful enough to remove some of an oil-based crc, but further experimentation is needed.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Taco Pete626 and stbear like this.
  17. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    I just use an oscillating sprinkler. Start from the front, drag the hose every few minutes. Works great, and cost me $10 bucks.

test.jpg

joe25rs, Taco Pete626 and stbear like this.
  18. Feb 1, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn [OP] Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    Nice, yes, I thought about that too, may resort to that method for heavier encrustations that require longer washes.

19. Feb 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Wow just seen this for the 1st time. Nice work OP!

20. Feb 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    I can attest to Krown's abilities. Not a spot of rust on my frame or body after 5 years of PA "rust belt" winters.

Products Discussed in

To Top