1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smuook's Taco Mojo

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by smuook, Apr 23, 2013.

1. May 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    Nice DIY project with your new upgraded alternator, awesome job!!! You probably saved yourself a lot of $ doing it all yourself. :) I only remember reading about the older Toyota MR2's alternators giving a higher output while being a direct fit for our tacos. Glad you found a nice alternative!

So I spent a full day searching the insides of my dash and under the steering panels looking for the factory wiring that goes to the LED/GBS empty plug. In reference to the CustomTacos pic, it shows that the batch of factory wires with the unused plug route to the right under the steering wheel where it snakes into the white wire clip holder but then "turns left" and then the empty plug is taped up.

Do you remember if your 04 DC taco had the factory wires and empty plug in this specific location or were you able to find the empty plug elsewhere? :confused:

I found a thread where the OP was trying to do the same thing: I can't find the empty plug thread

My next attempt at this will be to look at the wires from the source, the alarm module, and see if I can identify the LED/GBS wires using a PDF wire diagram I found on the internets.

UPDATE:
    WOW, you are spot on describing the factory wiring. Here's the wire diagram I found that backs up the wiring you did: :)

ScreenShot2013-05-13at104814AM_zps9a1919_974304c2cb0b00d71f193db56dc71e822c3a0ee5.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. May 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
    Nice build man! I've gotta do that power outlet mod :D

3. May 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    smuook

smuook [OP] Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Alternator was $126 and labor was free! It was much easier to do than you might think thanks to the simple design. It cranks out a relatively stable 14.2-14.3V and is much more consistent than the stock alternator as far as voltage output. I also had some speaker whine through my amped speakers before that is now gone. :)

Wow, it's been so long :(... but I do remember that they were near the center console and not under the steering wheel. Without disassembling my dash, I did pull on it and I think the wiring origin is right behind the radio area. But I can't tell for sure without ripping it all apart. If you still can't find it, I will investigate further... just let me know cuz I don't want to rip apart for no reason.

Cool beans!:D

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  4. May 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Thanks RMAN! Power outlet mod is about as easy as it gets and a no brainer if you ask me.

5. May 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Cheap-a$$ sticker mod... as cheesy as it is, I actually really like this one and gives a little extra sportiness to the interior. Adds 30HP too :p

[​IMG]

6. May 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    This is covered in other threads, but is something I've been much better about doing... greasing the driver train. Here are the Prerunner zerk locations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. May 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
  8. May 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    So I went at it again and found the unused plug!!! :) Center console area behind the radio, just like you said, you have a good memory :D. I wired up a 12Volt LED to the brown and black wires and the LED alarm status works great! I'll probably run the LED's in parallel since the aftermarket one will be far towards the windshield (so I can view it from outside far away) and keep the factory LED powered close below near the front of the gear box where the two dummy covers are. I couldn't find a vertical GBS/LED module but did find a used horizontal version, but it didn't come with the wire harness. For under $20 im not gonna complain. I'll need to test and figure out which of the 4 pins to tap into at a later time.

I also read somewhere about I guy who did the same mod and wanted to test the glass break sensor (the mic) to see if he hooked up everything correctly. He used the end of his metal key and tapped on his glass window loud enough to activate his alarm. This also allowed him the ability to adjust the sensitivity. It looks like there is an adjustment knob control somewhere located on the keyless/entry alarm's brain (behind the drivers kick panel) to make the adjustments. You probably already know all of this, but just in case.

Anyways, thanks again for all the help and pointing me to the right direction, I almost gave up on finding this unused plug below! lol!! :)

IMG_4814_zps57195254_aaf13f5be24091c9dc2540e7ac5dd9220f0f58f0.jpg

9. May 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    :thumbsup: Glad you found it. It took me awhile as well since I originally thought it was under the steering column too.

Hmmm... I have a vertical GBS/LED mounted horizontally and you have a horizontal GBS/LED mounted vertically... wanna switch? I really don't have a problem with mine but if you are down for that, I'd be game.

I haven't messed with the sensitivity of it. I remember reading about it but really don't know the proper way to do it, so I just left it as is.

Anyways, congrats and getting it figured out!

10. May 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    I ended up repositioning my hazard switch back to the upper dash area since the unused plug is conveniently located where those two horizontal dummy spaces are. I have no plans on ever taking the upper dash apart again -where the hazard switch is- since it's such a pain to remove, so I'm just going to have to pass on your offer to swap. Everything is pretty much wired and buttoned up, I'm good to go. :D Thanks again for sharing all this good info on your DIYs and mods! ;)

11. Jun 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Blacked out bumpers and light bar... removed lower plastic fascia on front bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jun 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    FramerKat

FramerKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner TRD Limited DC
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    Loving your mods! And good to see a Prerunner getting some good representation ;) I'm in South Florida and have even less need for 4WD, so I'm loving mine! Keep it up...I'm subscribed now and will follow along...and use some of your mods...the constant power one sounds intriguing...thanks!

13. Jun 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
  14. Jun 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Thanks for the positive feedback. Nothing wrong with a Prerunner, good all around truck. I won't argue that it is more capable than 4WD... just that some people don't need the 4WD capability.

Here's some more pics of my budget baja mod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some extra mesh from the Satoshi mod and zip tied it into the lower radiator opening for protection. You can see it between the fog lights in the last pic. Overall, real happy with the results (although would like a lot better with a set of KM2's on her :(). Cost me about 5 hours and several cans of primer and spray paint. All the other stuff I had. Even remounted the stock bumper lights.

Recycled some of the removed plastic lower fascia for a windshield washer protector.
    [​IMG]

15. Aug 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Squealing blower motor... solved.

Over the past few days, my interior fan blower motor has started squealing. It is especially evident when on highest setting. I decided to take it apart, clean, and grease it. Take of glove box, remove 3 mounting screws, gently pry off fan blade wheel, remove 2 cover bolts and gently pry off black cover. Cleaned the windings with compressed air, cleaned fan wheel with degreaser and water, lubed the spindle with bearing grease. Checked the brushes and they had plenty of life on them. End result, no more noise! :D I wouldn't say it necessarily blows harder, but it is very quieter now and squeal is gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Oct 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    Great build thread Frank! Keep it up man, the truck looks better and better with every mod!

17. Feb 8, 2015 at 5:49 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    CB radio install. Nothing fancy, it has been done and written about before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. May 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    New shoes

19. May 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    Nice, truck! Great job documenting everything :thumbsup:

20. May 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    I like the seats. Did you purchase their seat brackets too? Also, which model #'s for the brackets & seats?

My Corbeau GTII's suck. They didn't last long at all. The foam in each side bolsters broke down quickly. Looking for something different.
    Thanks.

Ritchie

Products Discussed in

To Top