1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers or sub/amp

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mcleod90, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 [OP] 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    I already have a new hu kenwood kdc-794

So which would give me better sound performance?

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    CNewell

CNewell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My '09 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hybrid Audio (front and back), Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" Sub, Pioneer 4ch Amp, bridged RE Audio Amp, WeatherTech Digital Fit (front and back), Flyzeye Interior LED, 18" Chrome Moto Metal 951's, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and back), Eibach coils, Light Racing/SPC UCA's, Black Billet Grille (5pc), Hella 500's, Black Diamond Light Bar, Truxedo LoProQT
    If you get speakers will you be powering them by an aftermarket amp? or by the HU?

I would definitely get speakers as long as you are powering them by an amp. All the sub/amp will do is fill in the lower end. No point in doing that yet if you can't hear the actual music. The factory speakers are absolutely terrible, don't let anyone fool you.

I would suggest calling Mr. Marv. I was pointed in his direction after reading a few posts. He is renown for his knowledge. He will point you in the right direction. He will most likely tell you to pick up Hybrid Audio Comps and a 4-ch amp lol.... But boy is it awesome... Ask me how I know :D

3. Mar 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    New speakers should give you overall improvement in sound quality PLUS more bass, but not as much bass as a sub would add.

Adding a sub will probably only give you more bass.

I say go with the speakers first.

4. Mar 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    usualxsuspect

usualxsuspect Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.4L 2WD Xtracab SR5
    Pioneer deck + amp w/ Polk Audio 10' sub. AFE Pro Dry S air filter. Bug and window deflectors. Tinted all around.
    I'm in the same dilemma. I'm sort of leaning towards getting speakers and an amp and then save the sub for later. But I don't know...

5. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    The biggest difference you will get in the vehicle is properly treating the doors. See here for an example. This will greatly improve the sound, even the factory speakers.

Next, *with properly treated doors* a speaker replacement will make a huge difference, and if you are not a bass head, you may not feel the need for a sub. But if you decide to go this route, I would probably amp the door speakers.

6. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    if you have the jbl system you have to replace all the speakers they have some amp that only will work with their own speakers or something like that is what i heard is that a fact?

Products Discussed in

To Top