1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeak: Can I just spray the hell outta it? (Lithium spray)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCFirefighter, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
  2. Mar 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    So how did the lithium spray work for you? IMO its the ultimate and best fix. Permanantly stopped my squeaking rear leaf spring issue. Went through bottles of WD40, Teflon, Silicon, and natural oil lubes before Lithium grease cured the problem... only took one can for a permanant fix. I would always get immediate squeaking with the others once I went offroad as well and the lithium grease stopped anything from making my springs squeak. Took a few applications to use the can up but it works. I will always promote what works over what sounds good in theory. Atracting dust with lithium spray sounds bad in theory... but it works better than anything else.

Make sure you focus spray at the spring wraps and the between the leaves near the spring wraps. DOnt spray it out just becasue you see it collecting dust... I think that was my problem with the squeak coming back the first few applications. I kept removing the grease with a spray of water becasue it was dirty.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    maybe... :eek:

4. Mar 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I am only suggest using a penetrant to FIND the squeak. I don't claim it as a fix. Antiseize is a reasonable lubricant as it has staying power. I think if the leafs are the cause, adding a "pad" like rubber or teflon would be a good direction to go. If it ends up being the shackle bolts, then antiseize is my suggestion. I use it on my front hubs behind the rim to help when taking alloy wheels off. I got a flat once and it was a major pita to get the wheel off. I also coat the rear axle hub(lightly) before the drum goes on to allow me to get the drums off easily. Wheel studs can't hurt either.

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    mamastarfish

mamastarfish Nola/Cali mem

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    New orleans, La
    Vehicle:
    murdered 06 crew cab taco
    toytec ultimate lift set at 3" up front with bilstein shocks and OME dakar pack in the back. 285/75r-16 general grabbers Light Racing UCAs de-badged blacked out headlights and turn signals smoked taillights pro comp rims pioneer double din deck dual 10" jl subs
    EVERYONE! I have had this squeak problem since I got my taco 2 years ago.
    I have tried everything from greasing the shit out of everything to pressure washing to taking the leaf pack apart and putting it back in.
    then finally:
    THIS WORKS!
    the squeak is caused by the leaf springs being pinched to tightly in the u bolts.
    > loosen your U bolts then re tighten them to the factory specks! EXACTLY! (believe it is very low, around 45 ftlbs.
    > if you set the truck back on the ground and it still squeaks then loosen each U-bolt nut a quarter turn until it stops.
    >I also replaces my shackle bushings with polyurethane bushings and she is stealth mode now.
    I hope this helps. I know it frustrated me every day.

Note: a quarter turn back on the u-bolts my be all you need to get rid of squeak.

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have helped several other Tacoma's since mine. Always is the clamps that keep the leaves aligned rubbing the sides of the leaves. White lithium grease always solves the issue and at most takes a day to work in. I have yet to see squeeky shackles or something needed between leaves. Disassembly and reassembly of leaves with some material placed between or not makes you realign the springs so they dont rub the inside of the clamps. This is still a clamp isdue that just seems like something else worked. Once the springs become unaligned the squeak will return if you dont have lube.

Products Discussed in

To Top