1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiff Steering

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bigjoetacoma, Nov 6, 2010.

1. May 3, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    bryen

bryen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I actually figured it out and apparently I fell short of spraying the snot out of it with PB Blaster. However for round two I'm going to get some white lithium grease on there too.

2. May 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    FgReed

FgReed Active Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Having the same stiffness with mine. Just started last week. When you're driving straight and go to turn either way a bit it wants to sort of stick. Checked fluid. Its full and very clean looking.
    Was thinking I'd try this fix here. Do I need to jack the truck up to get to the u-joint or is it accessible from through the hood
    Forgot to mention mine is a 09 SR5 TRD

Thanks

3. May 21, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    coveylane

coveylane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    You can see it past front driver's side wheel, or crawl under driver's door and it is visible to get at to spray. I have new part on order from VillageToyotaParts for $167 plus tax. (Toyota Canada wants $382 for part before tax)

2aa.jpg
    453972F.jpg

Crom and Mr. Cal like this.
  4. Aug 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Finally got my Intermediate Shaft #2 replaced to remedy the stiff steering.
    Toyota Canada wanted $382 + $37.30 Tax for the part alone. I ordered it online from a dealer in Florida who sent it to a shipping address in Florida, they shipped it to us and then Canada Customs got their bite out of me and I stll saved $150 on the part. (It is a genuine Toyota part) And I had a local garage replace it at a cost of about $85
    I supplied pictures of the one that was removed.

DSCF5307aa.jpg
    DSCF5308aa.jpg
    DSCF5312a.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Slashaar, Crom and Mr. Cal like this.
  5. Feb 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Since I have had this Intermediate Shaft #2 replaced I have noticed some play or looseness in steering when driving over rough roads. (Not side to side looseness but there is a rattle there now). I have seen this rattle disussed on here in another thread.

6. May 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    Kevindust

Kevindust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ottawa, Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 6M 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade BBM
    Thank you for this great thread (and the other similar threads)! I've been driving my truck with what felt like no power steering for a few weeks and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem without having to swap a lot of parts or pay a dealer big dollars. Five minutes on tacomaworld using the search function, five minutes under the truck with a rust inhibitor, test drive, more rust inhibitor and my truck is steering like normal! I now know that the proper long term solution is to change the intermediate steering shaft #2. Thanks again!!

7. May 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Just remember when you do buy, if you can get it out of the USA, you will pay enough less that it will probably cover the installation too. I paid $150 less than Canadian price and I think it cost me about $80 to have it installed at a garage.

8. May 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    n1dp

n1dp Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access TRD Sport
    I thought the symptoms would lead to heavy front end work involving the 4wd system. As Kevindust said so well, this forum saved me a bunch of troubleshooting. Unlike the photos above, my joint looks rust free. I gave it a good blast with a cleaner and she steers free again.

I have felt a tiny feel in the steering since I got it that I thought was just the 4wd drive train. Could have been this joint all along. I'll be following the advice here and change out the part ASAP.

Thanks!

9. Nov 9, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    WayneM

WayneM Member

Member:
  10. Nov 9, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  11. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    HILLBILLIE

HILLBILLIE Member

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Exhaust, Hood Scoop, Skid Plate
    Hi Coveylane, I live in N.S.(Halifax) as well. I own a 2008 Toyota tacoma. My steering started to get stiff when the cold weather arrived. It is now worse then it's ever been. It's really bad at low speeds, and is intermittent when I accelerate. After running the vehicle for awhile, it seems to be fine ?? It's become a serious safety concern as just when I think the steering is operating good, I slow down to take a turn, and half way thru the turn I loose the power assist, and have to recover with two hands. It really catches you by surprise……not good. I'm wandering if you ever ordered the part you have listed above ? If it worked ? and, have you been to any Toyota dealers to see if they would do anything about this problem that so many seem to be having. I'm thinking about going in to Oregans tomorrow. It sure feels like a power steering pump to me ?? but what do I know, LOL. Anyways, thanks for your time and please let me know on the questions I've asked. Thanks !

12. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:29 PM
    HILLBILLIE

HILLBILLIE Member

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    Sorry everyone ! I was reading the thread, and it came to an end, last one being coveylane. I wrote a reply, then submitted. After submitting, there were 4 or 5 more posts with all the answers posted months ago. Maybe my computer was just slow loading the rest of the posts ??? Macs eh!

13. Jan 13, 2015 at 3:34 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Buy a can of PB Blaster (It's a penetrating oil) at Canadian Tire or Home Hardware. Get down there and spray that little universal joint really good and it should loosen up enough to get you through until you get the part. I paid a garage about $100 to have it installed.

14. Jan 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    HILLBILLIE

HILLBILLIE Member

Member:
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD

15. Feb 3, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    briswan20

briswan20 New Member

Member:
    juneau, ak
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Thank you for all the info on this. I had the same issue, steering was stiff and really hard to turn. Happened out of no where, I think maybe the cold weather had something to do with it but it warmed up and was still happening. Sprayed the shit out of the U joint with PBblaster and then greased it with White lithium grease. Turns as smooth as butter now!

16. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:34 AM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    to those who have sprayed the joint to loosen it up, did you get a shaking/studdering afterwards when braking at highway speeds ?

17. Apr 8, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    n1dp

n1dp Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access TRD Sport
    I blasted the U-Joint about a year ago with a PB Blaster type of spray. Again, the joint looked brand new. It got much better, then felt stiff a bit more, but then the problem went away and has not been back since after almost a year. Not sure what happened.

It always felt I was overcoming a flat spot. Had it in for recall work. Toyota dealer always does a "free" alignment check. That was in February 2015 and all was within limits.

18. Apr 9, 2015 at 3:35 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Being in Maine, your weather is about the same as ours in Nova Scotia. I found mine fine through winter but as the roads dried up from Winter and still had lots of salt on them, that is when the joint felt worse. I really don't think an alignment will show anything concerning this joint. Spraying it with PB blaster will help it but it is a temporary fix. If you realize what could happen if it separates, I would consider replacing it.

19. Apr 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM
    onedivinetaco

onedivinetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    botolphston
    Vehicle:
    '05 dcsb 4x4
    timbobzimbob likes this.
  20. Jun 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Nice video Onedivinetaco!
    I have the same issue with my Tacoma 2007.
    Toyota Dealer explained to me the problem,when i stoped by just to have some fluide stearing oil.
    I thought my gage was a little low,but as he told me,the problem was more my u shaft stearing part.
    He did sprayed some stuff on it just to show me that it will better for a little while but will need a new one soon.
    So i will probably have it done next week or so,just added new Bilstein 5100 last Friday,so i am a litlle broke,lololo
    They told me close to two hours if work,Man,this thing will cost me around 600 bucks,but no choice i guess.
    Cheers from Ont. Canada
    Charly

Products Discussed in

To Top