1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Still need help after reading - Take Off Vibration

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bennett4, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Feb 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    Bennett4

Bennett4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    I have read and read and read some more and am still not finding a clear answer. To start here are the specs on my truck:

2005 Access Cab Tacoma 4x4 Auto V6
    -Toytec Ultimate Lift kit (set between 2.5" and 3")
    -LR UCAs
    -Front diff drop
    -Dakar leaf pack (w/ 3* shims - yes installed the correct way)
    -265/70/r17

*** Here is the problem - I have a take off vibration/shudder that happens around 10 mph. The harder I accelerate, the worse the vibration. As soon as it shifts into the next gear, the vibration goes away and I have no other vibrations at cruising speeds or accelerating from a roll (above that speed). If I baby it off the line, the vibration/shudder is minimal.

Problems similar to this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/267054-driveline-vibration-still-need-help-after-reading.html

I have read everything from a CB drop, to the ECGS bushings, to using a digital angle finder, to a new/longer driveshaft, to messing with different degree shims. I have read a lot of contradicting advice and was hoping for a more clear answer as to what may help my problem.

Have gotten a lot of help from TscotR214 suggesting trying shims with a smaller angle. This is the route I will take first unless other's have experienced the same thing and found a solution. I really appreciate any help/advice. Thanks in advance!!

2. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    no carrier bearing drop?

3. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Classic center support bearing vibes, had it on mine, replacing the bearing did not help, so I did what we used to do to front wheel drive cars that had problems with the upper motor mounts sagging after only short periods of time....removed bearing, injected with silicone via the three holes, let it dry, reinstalled, vibes magically and instantly gone....

Don't laugh at the solution, it works, smooth as glass now....I lived with the vibes for over three years, finally just had it and this was the fix....BTW, you only put about 6 caulk gun squirts per hole, you don't want it filled solid, so there is still some slight flex left, and let it dry for 48 hours, I put mine in the oven preheated to 200*, turned oven off, let it warm everything up, it accelerates the drying process...

Just a suggestion....YMMV....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Correct. Haven't added a CB drop…yet?

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Interesting suggestion! I have not heard of this approach before. Thanks for the advice.

6. Feb 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    Wolftaco

Wolftaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Overland Build
    Old Man Emu, Leer 100cc, Blacked Out Billet Grill, ARB Bumber, Warn M8000-s winch with under hood solenoid relocation, Stubbs HD Standard Sliders, diff breather
    Really interested to see if this works! I have the same take off vibration after installing OME kit. Bldegle2, how long did it take you to do this?

7. Feb 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    It took me 24 hours, I accelerated the Silicone drying by putting the bearing in the oven after it had cured for about 4 hours at room temps, 200* oven preheated, but turned off right after bearing put in oven, I did this a couple of times over the course of 4 or 5 hours, next morning installed bearing....if you don't use the oven and have the time, let it cure for 48hrs before reinstall...and big WARNING, do not reinstall without curing the silicone fix, the weight of the driveshaft is enough to distort the rubber in the bearing, so when the silicone dries, the bearing is not properly centered in the metal casing...

This is what it cured, the highway vibes at speed, especially going up hills with a load on the driveline, totally took care of the vibes at takeoff and under hard acceleration...There are a couple of other things I did to enhance the leafs, and it got rid of the dreaded axle wrap and clunkage when starting out after a full stop...yes, I had the rear end clunk from axle wrap, that is another story, also fixed on the cheap for about $60 in parts from advance auto...Toyota, for all their expertise in building bulletproof engines and tranny's really missed it big time on the driveline.....

Yes, there are other ways to approach this, but I kept reading where owners tried different solutions, some costing $300 to $500 just for a custom driveshaft, or new rear springs, another large expense, all sorts of stuff, and still had the vibes, although improved...I didn't have that kind of cash to spend, I am retired on a fixed income so I came up with this solution using my many years dicking around with tweaking cars....

The bearing only takes me about 20 minutes or less to take out once I get under the truck thanks to it being a TRD, sits high enough for easy workage, assembly the same, and make sure you put the yoke back on exactly the same spot on the splines or it will create another different kind of vibe...I aligned the shaft with a laser, but a string will suffice...

Whenever your vehicle is vibrating, it is wearing out parts at an accelerated rate...

Good luck with your quest...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Feb 6, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Very Interesting.
    :D

9. Feb 12, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    Has anyone else tried this with any luck?

10. Feb 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Not yet -- still waiting on other answers to see if anyone has fixed this with simply replacing different degree shims or adding a CB drop.

11. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Have continued to do a lot of reading and still trying to figure out and understand why this occurs and how to properly fix it. I know it is cheap and easy to install a CB drop but have read that this accelerates the wear (even more) by doing so. I did not get their permission to post this, so I will leave it anonymous but here is a suggestion from a PM:

"Well crud, that's about as nicely aligned as one could ask for! Everything you've told me so far points directly to axle wrap as your problem, and your photo points to axle wrap also. Are you familiar with that concept? When you accelerate, the front of the pinion where the driveshaft and pinion meet "wraps" upward due to torque from the rear wheels. The harder you punch it, the more it wraps and the messier that particular driveshaft/pinion angle gets. I suspect if you just babied your truck from a stop, eeeeeasy on the skinny pedal as you accelerate, you would feel little to no vibrations. If you have the time and parts, I would install a 1.5* or 2* shim, something a little less than the 3* you have in there now. Or for shits, just yank that 3* shim and drive it around a bit to see the effect before you purchase more parts. I like the shims with the slot, rather than the hole, so all you have to do is loosen the leaf spring ubolts to slide the shims in and out, rather than loosening the ubolts all the way (hard sometimes to align the leaf pack pin back into that hole in the shim...).

Summary, your alignment looks good, your symptoms point to axle wrap, but obviously your truck doesn't like 3*, so back down a tad on your shim angles. Welcome to vibration hell trial and error.
    "

Anyone (with more knowledge than myself) have any comments on this? I am still looking for an answer. I have torqued my u-bolts and just got my tires rotated and balanced. (trying to eliminate possibilities)

Here is the picture the anonymous person requested of my driveline.driveline_zpsb4c6c987_a834610725f6d3369dc472a77161a6155bd96472.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Sub'd for outcome

13. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Get rid of the shims first. That's free - and they cause more problems than they cure. A 2 piece driveshaft doesn't want the pinion angle to be even with the DS angle.

14. Mar 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Thanks! That is my first step. I will remove the shims as soon as I get a chance and post my findings.

I also was able to contact the OP from the post below and he said the ECGS bushings fixed his problem. It seems I have a very similar problem to him. I went to accelerate today in 4WD from a stop and there were no (maybe tiny tiny tiny) vibrations!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/267054-driveline-vibration-still-need-help-after-reading.html

15. Apr 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Ever get this fixed? I have the same symptoms as you. Start vibes, then nothing.

16. Apr 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    i have the same symptoms also, take off vibes and then nothing. last weekend i did the DIY tranny flush with 4 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife ATF, i used most of it. that helped the vibes a little bit, but also made my tranny shift smooth as glass and fixed some of the weird shit it does sometimes. Today i added in Lubegard Platinum ATF protectant, and i shit you not almost all of the take off vibes are gone. Every time i try to feel the vibes but i feel nothing. maybe like one little vibe here and there, but it seriously helped fix/cure the problem.

17. Apr 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    That Lubeguard Platinum is simply the best thing you can do for your transmission . Its well known in the transmission trade . Ive used it in every transmission I have rebuilt and you can tell on a test drive as soon as you add it to the trans fluid :cheers:

18. Apr 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser

And you're the one who influenced me to put it in there! Thank you!

19. Apr 25, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Maybe this is a transmission issue .
    I did read your post when you originally posted and because you have a lift kit , I assumed your issue was a problem with driveshaft alignment and needs angle cancellation .
    Whats the mileage on the transmission since it has been serviced ?
    Just wondering if you are feeling the symptoms of transmission fluid breakdown or even worse -valve body wear ?

When transmission fluid is low or the fluid breaks down , you can experience the symptoms you are describing .
    Any transmission shop can tell just by test driving your truck

I am going to place this here just in case you need to consider looking at your transmission as the possible cause http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...hift-kit-shift-recalibration-kit-2nd-gen.html

And here : http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2268

And here too : http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1783

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  20. Apr 25, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    Bennett4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Don't know how I missed the earlier responses so I apologize for being late to that but thanks for the input. I just got the old man emu carrier bearing drop kit and installed it and it significantly reduced the take off vibrations! I still notice them but it was a huge improvement.

To answer your question I am at about 84k miles and I did an entire tranny and front and rear diff fluid flush a few thousand miles ago. Definitely made a difference in the way it shifted.

Products Discussed in

To Top