1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sunroof or moonroof question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by toyotagal, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    toyotagal

toyotagal [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jolene
    Estacada, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma 4x4
    Okay, I have yet another question. I would like to have a sunroof or moonroof put in my tacoma. Has anyone had this done on their truck? :confused:Is this a wise decision? Does anyone know where I would go to have this done professionally?

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Haze

Haze not just a one trick pony

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    none yet..
    to be determined
    it's never a good idea to have a sunroof put in where there wasn't one before. it's near impossible to get it sealed up enough to avoid it leaking like crazy.

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    j_cyrus

j_cyrus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rickman TN
    I don't mean to hijack, but I have a question about my sunroof. It came factory(it's a 99 limited) How do I get it out? Or does it just pop up and not come out?

5. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    it just pops up. moonroof pops up, sunroof opens

6. Oct 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    j_cyrus

j_cyrus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rickman TN
    So none of the tacoma's have a "sunroof" just a "moonroof" ? I could have swore that thing would come out some how, I just didn't want to mess with it and screw it up.

7. Oct 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    I had a dealer the dealer install a full function sunroof when I purchased my truck new. At the time the factory option was the pop-up type of moonroof and I figured with the double cab I would be able to have a full function (tilt& slide) sunroof. The dealer had a Webasto sunroof http://www.webastoshowroom.com/6_700info.html installed, in 2001 it was about $1000 installed but it has allways worked great and has never leaked. When it comes to aftermarket add-ons you get what you pay for. With a sunroof better to have it professionally installed with a guarantee.

8. Oct 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    got any pictures of your truck?

9. May 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    sr5dude

sr5dude Active Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja access w/TRD supercharger
    TRD supercharger
    Did anyone ever explain to you how to remove your factory moonroof? It is really simple.

10. Jul 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    robgoblin

robgoblin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    How much should i pay for a sunroof, i have a 07 TRD Off-road

11. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    We had one after market power sun roof installed in our 01- Honda CRV, the cost was about $1200, never leaked, no rust where they cut the roof, the manufacture of the sun roof is a supplier to auto manufactures, if memory serves me right at that time there were only 2 major suppliers, the interior ( head linner ) looks as if it was a factory install, not at all disappointed in the quaility of the product or install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. May 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    k421incubus

k421incubus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    98 Limited 4x4 TRD Tacoma
    How do you remove the moonroof?!?

13. Sep 14, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    harnharold

harnharold New Member

Member:
    Tacoma. Front bumper, light bar, small light in hood scoop, Ko2's, rain guards, On my 4Runner fully soundproofed, supercharger. ko2's
    I am a certified mechanic with Toyota. I would NEVER suggest you do that. Number one is it would cost you a fortune to put one in. If you get somebody to do it it has to be done PERFECTLY!! If not is going to leak like hell!! Another thing I want you to know is that we have a TON of problems with sunroofs come in. We have three vehicles waiting for me in the morning with sunroof problems. I love Toyota and would ALWAYS recommend our cars over ANYBODIES! However I am not a company man that is going to lie to you!! Don't get one. Don't buy a car with one. If it messes up and you bring your truck to me to fix it I WILL HAVE to charge you over $1,000! Most peoples bills for these come in at around $1,700!! I'm telling you, once you have a problem with it your going to keep having problems with it. Another reason is you get a good storm 2 or three times a year where it will hail for a couple minutes. If your car is not parker under something or in a garage I guarantee you your gonna be bringing it in because the glass is cracked up in it. I would charge you a little under $600.00 for the glass. You can't just replace the glass so we would have to pull what I call dummy seals out and replace them. With all of that and labor you will be over $1,000. With Toyota sunroofs I would say about 75 to 80 percent of them will leak if you go through a car wash. Automatic car wash will never be an option for you if you get a sunroof. Another thing that happens is it gets stuck halfway open. ha Man, it never fails! 99.9% of our customers who come in with a sunroof issue go home PISSED OFF!! That's just one reason why we hate it when they come for repair. Another thing is that going down the highway the air hits them and they like to whistle. In the summer your car is much hotter than other peoples cars. The reason is that the sun beats down on the glass getting it hot as hell!! There is only that thin little door you slide back between you and the glass so it gets hotter inside your car. That same hot sun that gets the glass hot as hell is also heating up and rotting out all of the rubber in the moonroof and it will start leaking pretty fast. What percent 0of people own a vehicle with a sunroof? Do you know? We had a sales rep come yap to us about the sunroof. Only 19% of people own cars with sunroofs. That should tell you something. The newness wears off fast and you will quit using it. This sounds funny but they are like swimming pools. Guy wants a house with a pool really bad so he gets one and learns how hard and expensive it is to keep up and you spend more time caring for it then swimming it. When he moves he gets a house without a pool. He had one and that was enough for him! He doesn't want another one! They also hurt your resale value. Sunroofs hurt your resale value when you go to sell your car. At the end of the auto year 99% of cars we have left are sunroofs. They are a bitch to sale. We have NO used cars with a sunroof because those are a BITCH to sale! People see a used car and then they see the sunroof and say oh hell no!!

14. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Great advice, but this question was asked in 2009 and the OP hasn’t been around since for almost ten years. Haha.

shawnster88 and Seagull233 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top