1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swap stock radio for Entune model

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mrbillslo, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Jan 20, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    mrbillslo

mrbillslo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Hi, I'm brand new to this site and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I bought a 2012 Tacoma a while back and it has the basic (D1822) radio. I picked up a 2014 Entune audio plus which should fit according to the fitment charts I have seen. I haven't taken the old radio out yet, but I'm a little concerned that the connectors may not be exactly the same. Did I make a mistake here? Are the plugs the same, and or are there adapters if they are not?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:33 AM
    xtrapsi

xtrapsi Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Chincoteague, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 X-Runner
    TRD Short Shifter Volant Intake w/ Scoop Tri-fold Tonneau Heated Seats Entune with Nav Rockford Fosgate 05-08 Tail lights
  3. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    mrbillslo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Thanks so much! That is indeed very helpful. I did find an oem usb/aux port and cable, a bit pricy but I think it should pop right in where my aux port is now. I went to the other threads you linked me to and looked at the photos which were quite helpful and it leads me to another question. Is the bluetooth microphone built into the radio? ie; will I be able to talk on my phone? I also saw some other guys talking about VIN # issues when updating app software, know anything about that? I am almost wishing I had gone after market, but I do like the idea of keeping it oem. Thanks again for your help!

4. Jan 22, 2015 at 4:05 AM
    xtrapsi

xtrapsi Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Chincoteague, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 X-Runner
    TRD Short Shifter Volant Intake w/ Scoop Tri-fold Tonneau Heated Seats Entune with Nav Rockford Fosgate 05-08 Tail lights
    Mic should be in the overhead between the map lights.
    VIN issues only come the entune APP on the phone.
    If you need it, maybe you can use the VIN the radio came out of if the seller is willing to give it up.

Don't give up yet. Sounds like you have a decent upgrade. You can get it working easier than trying to get the aftermarket to play with your steering controls and everything else.

5. Jan 22, 2015 at 6:13 AM
    mrbillslo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Looks like all I have between the map lights is a cover, no holes in it. I'll take it off later and see what is under it.

6. Feb 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    mrbillslo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Okay, I hooked up the Entune, and everything seems to work, haven't tried to pair my phone yet, and I still need to get a BT microphone, but the usb port I got seems to be fully functional. The one thing that really jumped out at me was the lack of volume WTF?!? how can I possibly rock out to Black Sabbath? the meter maxes out at 6, hell my old Marshall amp went to 11! I haven't messed with the settings yet, maybe there is something there? please don't tell me I need a pre amp, I already have enough invested in this. I plugged my stock plain Jane radio back in and it is MUCH louder. I will be taking some pictures and posting more detail on the build. If anyone knows why I have no volume, please let me know. Thanks.

7. Feb 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    xtrapsi

xtrapsi Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Chincoteague, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 X-Runner
    Check the Treble/Mid/Bass settings.
    On my unit, every input has independant settings.

Products Discussed in

To Top