1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SWI-JACK questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by primer, May 15, 2011.

1. May 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    primer

primer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    Installing a Kenwood HU and am worried I'm missing something.

I have a couple issues. I ordered the steering wheel interface from the place where I got the hu. I ordered a SWI-JACK. My invoice says SWI-JACK. I received a SWI-RC. I've had a hard time figuring out what the difference is. The instructions are the same. Somewhere I read the RC is for units with a wireless remote, which my head unit has. Plan to call the shop I ordered from tomorrow, but curious if anyone knows if I have what I need or not.

The instructions are really marginal. This is a very helpful thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...-interface-2006-taco-4d-4wd-jbl-swi-jack.html

Big thanks to acozzens, unfortunately it leaves me with a few questions.

The thread says I should use a 150ohm resistor. The SWI-RC instructions say 560ohm. Just for grins I checked the SWI-JACK instructions which also say 560ohm. I'm planning to go with 560ohm - but it concerns me, especially since I'm not sure the SWI-RC is the right unit.

I also am confused about the harness connector that the SWI hooks up to. I found it and verified the wires that I'm tapping into. But as I see it this connector doesn't plug into anything. There's no part of my metra wiring kit that will accept this connector. In one of the pictures on the thread above it looks like the connector is still loose. Is that correct? I tap into these wires, but the connector isn't plugged into anything?

On the output side of the SWI-RC there is a mini-headphone connector and a blue/yellow wire. I think that I do not use the mini-headphone jack and I hook the blue/yellow to the blue/yellow wire on the head unit harness labeled "steering wheel remote control". This seems obvious, but isn't spelled out very well anywhere. Please let me know if you can confirm this is correct.

Sorry for all the questions. I try to have a "measure twice - cut once" approach to these things. That's tough when there's nothing that really tells you what the measurements are supposed to be...

Thanks in advance.

TL

2. May 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
  3. May 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    primer

primer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I've seen conflicting reports on which system works best. Would love to hear other opinions.

TL

4. May 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    The SWI Jack (when working - one had problems, one worked great) and the Metra functionally are the same. The benefit to the Metra is its auto programming (worked with both alpine and new Pioneer in my truck, with just the reset button being pushed) make it a step above - IMO. Both are great units.

I would still return yours and get the correct one.

GL

5. May 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    Tiforceracing

Tiforceracing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Columbia
    All the SWC (steering wheel control) mods I have ever dealt with were ideally the same in concept and install....depending on vehicle. As long as you dont get one with the i.r, you should be fine. Be in overall preference, try to get the SwiJac that you ordered the first time, works well with the kenwood you have.

Products Discussed in

To Top