1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

That >8,000 lb. winch is a waste of money.

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by TomHGZ, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Sep 16, 2020 at 4:36 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
  2. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    Still planning on coming back to this, but it’s taking a bit. I’m building a new-to-me 2nd Gen and waiting on parts.

Also, for those of you who want to see a dEeP mUd ExTrAcTiOn in particular, that’s not going to happen immediately. I live on an island in the Pacific Northwest and you might have noticed from the news the West is extremely dry right now. :bananadead: The soil where I am is glacial till, i.e. lots of small rocks. So while we will get some mud in a few weeks when the rain comes back, we won’t exactly have southern-style gumbo without me getting off the island to visit one of the regional 4x4 parks.

But I’m going to set up the most convincing demos I can, in part for my own interest because a fair amount of the gear will be new to this build.

There are other guys on island with big winches, so we can do some comparison pulls. We also have some 4300 lb. ecology blocks to play with, and some of the largest in trees in the US. And eventually I’ll get to sink my truck to the frame in mud. (Maybe. That was fun when I was 18 in Arkansas.)

I understand the post seems outrageous. I’m not telling dedicated crawlers who are running the Sluice in a long line of trucks you should be using a lightweight winch. I don’t think that represents the majority of Tacoma drivers.

Someone else posted a photo from Hell’s Revenge in Moab, a trail I have run a few times. I haven’t had to winch there, but I think a small winch with MA would work just fine on Hell’s Revenge, including on the escalator, the location of the photo posted. But Hell’s Revenge is also basically a pavement roller coaster, and aside from difficulty finding an anchor if you are alone, it may not present the meanest test for a winch.

Again, my position is that a smaller winch with MA is more than adequate for a vast majority of drivers, who may only winch a few times a year.

For everyone who loves their big winches — for the 20-somethings who intentionally bury their trucks in mud to the grill on the weekend, for drivers who are regularly smashing their trucks on trails that make 33” tires feel too small because also you have another vehicle you can drive to work — you do you. But you can also use MA to do some extremely impressive stuff with that big winch, far beyond what a Tacoma frame can handle.

So stay patient and I will make a video, and I will also print out a lot of your comments on here and talk about them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    Can't believe this thread is still going.

4. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    What winch are you planning on using for this test?

5. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:33 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    A small one. lol

6. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    therealprotaco

therealprotaco Always Skeptical

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tundra TRD PRO DC
  7. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:47 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    whatstcp likes this.
  8. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:51 PM
    Alberta_Taco

Alberta_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Taco TRD Sport
    1st Mod: installed Trifecta tri-fold tonneau cover 2nd Mods: removed air foil damper, decals and badges 3rd Mod: installed a Compustar remote starter (its Alberta people) 4th Mod: installed full set skid plates 5th Mod: installed rock rails Spring 2021: roof rack w/ LED bar & CB radio Summer 2021: hybrid bumper, winch & LED bar
    Hey Jeepnik. Thanks man for the response. Its greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards Warn er Smitty Bilt. ... we will soon know the truth? I do appreciate the insights and recommendation to test it in a parking lot, or field before going into the backcountry. very wise my friend.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  9. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:54 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    I learned the hard way. But that’s how I do most things.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:55 PM
    Alberta_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    1st Mod: installed Trifecta tri-fold tonneau cover 2nd Mods: removed air foil damper, decals and badges 3rd Mod: installed a Compustar remote starter (its Alberta people) 4th Mod: installed full set skid plates 5th Mod: installed rock rails Spring 2021: roof rack w/ LED bar & CB radio Summer 2021: hybrid bumper, winch & LED bar

Thanks Wyoming09, solid advise. I will keep this in mind when talking with some guys around here about the whole warranty/shipping to US for repair/etc.

Wyoming09[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:56 PM
    Alberta_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    yeah, I too seem to fall into that category. but HEY I sure did enjoy those bumps and bruises! and the learning which came from it, too!

12. Sep 17, 2020 at 1:22 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
  13. Sep 17, 2020 at 1:24 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
  14. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    Checkers10160

Checkers10160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chess
    Westchester/Fairfield
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab Long Bed
    OME 885s Bilstein 5100 Deaver AAL AP Sliders SOS Skids Rear diff breather relocation
    Wow that looks rough. Are there any other pictures, videos, or maybe even a thread on that?

15. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That's pretty cool, and really well explained. I especially liked how when the second vehicle was doing the winching and they still used an anchor, and it demonstrated how much load that other anchor took.

whatstcp and Skierrichy like this.
  16. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    VE7OSR[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    You should probably stay away from all of that. If you read the comments written by the mechanical engineers and other experts earlier in the thread, you will see that it won’t work because you will need to weld a bunch of extra pull points to your truck, and also you will need a bunch of extra trees to set up your mechanical advantage, which takes about a week to do, assuming you don’t have to plant the trees and wait for them to grow, but even then it will won’t work because a pulley is not 100% efficient, and also your winch line might get a little dirty.

18. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here’s the thread. Truly awesome that several TW members came together to help out a fellow TW brother in need. Especially @whatstcp who drove a couple hours to help out someone he’d never met.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/stuck-in-ocotillo.643988/

19. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It’s almost as if coming in with actual facts and representation elicits a better response than firing off bold accusations with nothing to back them up. Weird.

20. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Skierrichy

Skierrichy MadRad

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Willington
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD
    To many, but never done
    :rofl:

whatstcp likes this.