1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time to chime in... Tacoma "Lurching" Update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by j4x4ar3, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Ok guys.. time to chime in.. 32 complaints out of almost 400,000 happy Tacoma owners and this guy wants to file more lawsuits against Toyota. How many out there think this guy is full of it or just doesn't understand how the truck works?

To be "fair" there have been a few on the forums that have said when the A/C comes on if you don't have your foot firmly on the brake that your truck may "lurch" forward a bit. Easily corrected... put the foot on the brake.

Anyway.. read the story in the link and chime in.

http://www.kcra.com/news/15433689/detail.html

2. Feb 28, 2008 at 9:49 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  3. Feb 28, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There's a lot more complaints *out there* than you think....Just do a search on the forums for 'lurch'.

Mine does it and many other non-Toyota vehicles do it also (that I've driven).

Doesn't bother me personally.

If he's got the time and the energy to fight the big dogs - then I commend his efforts. Not a lot of people would have the time or the patience to go that far.

EDIT: The acceleration defect isn't the same thing as the 'lurch' (so to speak)

4. Feb 28, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's related to the mysterious 'acceleration' - but not necessarily the same thing as the *lurch* (from my understanding anyway).

The lurch that most tacoma forums talk about - is that little 'bump' you feel after you come to a complete stop - on the Automatic transmssions.

5. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Yeah watch the video you posted again. They specifically state that the truck suddenly lurches forward when stopped. THIS GUY DRIVES A STICK SHIFT!!! Sorry for yelling.. but don't you put your foot on the clutch when comming to the complete stop and put it in neutral if sitting at a stop light? Come on .. where's this guy's real complaint?

Also .. read the documentation. He purchased the truck May 2006 and didn't have any problems until January 2008!!! then when it "accelerated twice in one month" he claims there's a serious flaw and wants to sue.

6. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Funny you should mention this janster....I noticed just last night that my wifes brand new Odyssey does the exact same thing my Tacoma does.I chalk it up to vehicle characteristic and don't even notice it anymore.

7. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    The "lurch" is related to the A/C. The "sudden acceleration", if it even exits, would be an entirely different issue. The guy in the video is a moron and most of us suspect that he's simply trying to get out of blame for a rear end accident or something along those lines. Seriously, how can you have this problem if you drive a stick, like the idiot in the video?

8. Feb 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
  9. Feb 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    mine does that its when i come to a stop it kinda bumps forward a bit. it doesnt jump 10 feet just a little bump i wouldnt complain about it but some people want their pick ups to drive like cadys

10. Feb 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't say it's related to the A/C.

I get the lurch without using the A/C.

11. Feb 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    i wouldnt call it a lurch more of just a bump has toyota come out with a fix for this or are they calling it normal?

12. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    I think just about every car I have ever owned has surged when the A/c kicks in just don't know how the truck could surge forward when it is in nuetral with the clutch pushed in this "Moron" actually calls the truck a lemon LMAO what an Idiot ! People like him just seem to be no matter where ya go its a sue happy world with alot of stupid people in it and this guy really proves it !

13. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.

Ditto.

14. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    jlvanek

jlvanek Member

Member:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 DBL Cab
    Revtech 3" Lift, 265/70 R17 Bridgestone Dueler
    I have this happen to me all the time. I certainly have not had my A/C on for several months. This has nothing to do with it. When I took my truck in to get an appointment for the suspension TSB , I asked about this, and was told it is a Pre-load on the transmission. The sales manager told me that his '08 Tundra does this as well. I would not say that this is normal, but it isn't a big deal. The A/C has nothing to do with it.

15. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    If this dipp shit has that much time and money do go thru this he should get a nissan then!!!! Scew him!!!!:crazy:

16. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I used to think that but I NEVER get the "lurch" when the A/C is off. The reason I thought that was because I thought the AC was off unless you hit the button to turn it on. Turns out, it's on for certain function automatically. In my case, it is absolutely related to the A/C.

17. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Right, because we can trust everything that a service dept tells us. Most of them can't even figure out the right springs for the rear spring TSB. "Pre-load on the transmission"? Nope, not buying it. If that were the case, it would happen to me when the A/C is off.

Let me ask you this: Is it possible that you have the defrost on when it happens? As I said above, certain HVAC functions turn the A/C on automatically.

18. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    I would say its not related to A/C. keep your F******;)g foot on the brake or put it in Neutral!

19. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I want to say it is... If I remember them saying something about the clutch kicking in and out, which grabs the belt, then and only the it is when the rpms shoot up a bit and cause the lurching?

20. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:14 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Always have my foot firmly on the brake..... and it only feels like a little 'bump' - nothing big anyway. Like I've mentioned before - my husbands Grand Cherokee did it. It almosts feels like a late downshift.....

Products Discussed in

To Top