1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TONNEAU QUESTION

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by TAC1, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

I will be purchasing (hopefully by the end of this year) a 2011 Tacoma double cab 4x4 with the 5 foot bed. Due to my particular needs I want a locking, one piece, easilly removable (with key ofcourse), no need for painting, tonneau cover that closes over the tailgate to secure that also.

The Undercover Tonneau fits my needs just fine except for one thing:

Those 2 little rings that go on the outside of them between the truck bed & the truck cab. Whats the use of the 2 locks towards the rear when someone can just remove the rings & lift up the tonneau cover? Am I missing something? Please bare in mind that I don't yet own the truck so I have not seen an Undercover tonneau except online.

Also, are there anyother hard tonneaus that have the hinge on the inside so that when you lock it, no one can open it from the other end? Any feedback & pics will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I almost forgot. Has anyone had experience with the Cal-Lidz tonneau covers? they advertise that theirs is stronger than ABS plastic & as far as I can tell, the hinge does not consist of (2) easily removable rings.
    Thanks again. :)

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
  3. Aug 24, 2011 at 2:57 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    good question......i have the undercover and even if they took those off im not sure they could remove the top since you have to lift the back and slide it forward to get it off where the rings are. the locks in the back go under two brackets and when ajusted right are fairly tight. like anything else i suppose if anyone really wanted they could get into it but it wouldnt be that easy in my opinion

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    onced locked cant be removed i had one pretty secure

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thank you all very much for the info & thank you Tigahshark for the Tonneau post. I noticed that the Undercover Tonneau SE has the Hidden Hinges. Thats EXACTLY the type of hinge that I was looking for! I like the look of the classic more but I like the hidden hinge system of the SE EVEN MORE!

I like the SE cover that DOES NOT need to be painted. Honestly, my cover will be on more often than off but when I do remove it, is it harder to do than the classic one? Also, if I carry something that requires me to drive with the cover raised about a foot over the tailgate (I will secure it down ofcourse), will this be an issue?:)

Products Discussed in

To Top