1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Capacity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jayglad, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    jayglad

jayglad [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4WD TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB
    Hi all,

Name's Jason, and am the proud owner of a 2009 Tacoma. Not sure if the models are different here in Canada, but ours is the 2009 TRD SPORT OFF ROAD Access Cab.

We have the 4.0 V-6.

Anyhow, the specs claim the Towing Capacity is 6500lbs. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, on towing with the Tacoma?

The TRD SPORT package I have has an upgraded alternator, Oil and Tranny Cooler and a CLASS IV hitch.

We did not purchase this truck with towing in mind, but I have my eye on a travel trailer that weights 4500lbs unloaded. by the time you add passengers, and gear, i figure I'll be around 5500lbs.

This travel trailer is a steal of a deal from my dealer buddy, (repo'd unit). It's a year old, mint condition, and retails for about $20,000. I can get it for $7500, before the bank sends it to the auction.

I know from experience that sometimes the specifications of a vehicle don't match the actual performance.

I'd hate to end up stranded on the side of a highway, with a blown transmission.

Thanks, and have a good day

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    If you have the Oil and Tranny Coolers, then you should be good to go. How much tongue weight does the trailer have? Just might need something to beef up the rear end a little so it doesn't sag.

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    A 4500lb trailer empty can be towed with your Taco cuz it sounds like you have the tow package. I dont know how familiar you are with towing things. But your gas mileage is going to drop immensly and towing things that are heavier is hard on a lot of trucks, your truck can handle it, be safe

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    namylevets

namylevets Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
  5. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
  6. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    right at 6500 lbs fully loaded with fuel and gear. gas milage drops, but acceleration is not a problem. braking...now that's another issue...just leave lots of room in front of you and you won't have any problems.

ther's a thread on here; "show us what you tow" is the title i believe...has a lot of good examples in it.

DSCF4046.jpg
    DSCF4047.jpg
    DSCF4048.jpg
    DSCF4049.jpg

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    colinb17, damn that is a nice looking neighborhood. How much tongue weight?? Looks like the rear pretty level.

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I tow a YJ Jeep on a 14ft. flatbed trailer. I estimate the total weight to be around 5000 lbs. No problem towing but you have to be careful stopping, especially if you have no trailer brakes.

9. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thanks, that's actually my parents house. they baught it 20 years ago when realestate was a little more affordable.

there's a 350 V8 sitting to the rear of the axels, so that keeps the toung weight to about 300 i believe. i actually shifted the axels about 4 inches forward when we got it to help.

10. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    i bought my taco used, it was an 07 with trd sport package, and hitch is already there...how would i know if i have coolers on the trans?

11. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    jayglad

jayglad [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4WD TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB
    Thanks for the info!

12. Jan 21, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    I think the factory towing package includes additional trans (automatic) and engine oil cooling. On mine I can see a separate small cooler on the left side (right side as you face the hood) of the car in front of the radiator. That's the ATF cooler. There are two small lines connected to the left side of the radiator to cool engine oil. A standard setup is to cool ATF in the trans so I suspect a Tacoma w/out the towing package has ATF running to the smaller connections on the left side and no additional ATF cooler. I'm not sure how to spot the difference on a Tacoma equipped with a manual trans.

13. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    Shibby!

Shibby! Member

Member:
    In my opinion I wouldn't even consider it.

These trucks aren't made for towing. I have pulled some heavier weights and the truck struggles. Without brakes they are downright dangerous.

If you want to pull it, get at least a new 1/2 ton. (10000-11500 lbs towing capacity)

Just my opinion. My truck works with an aluminum flat deck and one sled. Two would be struggling a bit and that's a hell of a lot lighter then 5500 lbs. I've pulled that too and will never again.

Also In B.C it's mandatory you have trailer brakes, not to mention all the pissed off albertans following you because you'll be dragging ass up hills.

14. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    I have an 05 DBL Cab Sport and have towed a Mastercraft X-45 with mine and it actually did pretty damn good. I wish I had some pics from when I did it but I don't. I slid a little launching it, but nothing real bad. If you don't know how big an X-45 is, let me give you some numbers and a pic. Total weight w/ boat and trailer and gas in the boat was about 6,600 lbs.
    Length of Boat: 24' 2"

Width Amidship: 102"

Boat Weight: 4,950 lbs.

Fuel Capacity: 90 gallons

Total Weight Capacity: 18 persons or 2,928 lbs.

[​IMG]

15. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Just be careful estimating your weights, many travel trailers give their dry weight w/o including optional equip: like AC and many other heavy options. You may be underestimating the weight of this loaded trailer, I have made this mistake myself, I pull a 20ft hybrid TT about 3500lb dry more like 5000lb plus loaded with gear firewood H2o in tanks etc. The truck has plenty of grunt its the stopping that will pucker your asshole.

16. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
  17. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Pulled a 16 foot trailer (dual axle) with two pallets of pellets (4,000 pounds of pellets) loaded on it this weekend, So close to 5500 pounds. I have a prodigy trailer brake, no problem stopping. Really no problem accelerating (did not go over 55 mph). But with the loaded trailer, trying to spread the load on the trailer) the pin weight was probably at its maximum you could definitly feel th trailer behind you. Did just fine. I pull a 4,000 pound boat and trailer and a 6 kennel dog trailer all the time the truck does just fine.

18. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Not sure what the laws are in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tow with passengers in the trailer unless you're running a 5th wheel hitch.

Legal or not, it's probably not a great plan to have people in the back if you're towing with a trailer ball on a reciever.

Products Discussed in

To Top