1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS Dilemna

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacopromatt, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    tacopromatt

tacopromatt [OP] Matt's Pro Taco (SOLD)

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Tacoma TRD Pro AT
    I realize this has been beat to death. I searched and read through most of the past posts.

Here's the story. My wife used my truck while I was out of town (yes I let her) to move some office furniture w/ some of our friends. One of said friends borrowed truck to go to storage unit and proceeds to slash my 285 BFG A/T "Ben-Hur" style on the storage gate.

Without calling me (grrrr), tries to jack the truck (3" lift, no go w/ bottle jack), can't get one of the tire lug nuts off so in the end, gets the truck towed to NTB and has brand new tire put on (also unhappy that I now have 3 used tires and 1 brand new one).

Anywho, point to my story, is that the TPMS light is now on. No flashing, nothing, just on. I checked all tires, including the spare and noticed the new tire was at 65psi. Yikes.

Obviously they set the bead and forgot to take psi down to 36. So I reset all tires to 36 and do a reset. No go... light is still on.

This leads to me to believe that the sensor in the new tire isn't broken because it would be flashing. So what gives? I've driven on it for a few days and light remains.

Thoughts?

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Sorry to hear about this.

I've been battling the TPMS issue myself lately as well. My dad and I switched our tire/wheel combos and now we both have the solid TPMS light on.

Our solution will be to get the TPMS reprogrammed (not reset, mind you) in both vehicles to match the new set of sensors.

There are various workarouds, but I'm going to pass on doing that.

Your situation doesn't sound like it should be that complicated since your original TPMS went back on. Have you tried merely resetting the system using the reset button at the bottom of the steering column? Turn key to "ON" position and hold the reset button for three blinks.

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Over 60psi shuts the TPMS sensor off. Drop pressure to 10, then put back to stock. Then hit reset button.

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Below is my experience... not saying it'll fix your problem but it fixed mine & flightcancled too...

Here's the thread I originally posted it in. Good luck, I hope this is the cure. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/85877-low-tire-pressure-sensor.html#post1645476

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    ^ Wow, didn't know about that. Interesting.

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I worked for a toyota dealership in 07 as a lube tech. I was trained how to operate the TPMS system.
    The never fail system for making TPMS work right was not far from that link.
    Check tires for factory rec PSI, inc spare. Hold reset buttin till it blinks 3 times.
    If the light came back on, further inspection for bad sensors or other problems was necessary.
    From the factory tires were above 60PSI which shut off the sensors. When it was dropped below 10PSI it would activate. Inflate back to factory specs and reset the system. Only full size spares had sensors.
    Things may have changed since then, but my 08 operates the same. It doesn't care if you rotate and don't reset, but all my tires are at 29PSI.

7. Jul 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    tacopromatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Took tire down below 10psi and back to 36 while resetting throughout twice now and no go. what is my next step?

i have triple checked all tires now, including the spare and all are at 36psi.

8. Jul 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Everytime I get a flax fixed, they charge me for a "Sensor Rebuild Kit" $5...maybe?

9. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    tacopromatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Well today while driving, the light went from solid to flashing... meaning there must be an issue w/ one of the sensors. I guess I'll be making a visit to NTB and having them fix it.

Products Discussed in

To Top