1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Oil Change Help

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tacostache, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Dec 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    tacostache

tacostache [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
    I'm sure there is already a thread on this but I'm not having any luck.

I'm getting sort of a grinding noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. From what I've read it looks to be a synchros issue. Some people suggested changing out the transmission fluid to see if it helps but I can't seem to find a How To for a 2.7l 5 speed. The truck has less than 9k miles so I'm surprised to be experiencing these issues.

Any help would be great!

2. Dec 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Out of warranty?

3. Dec 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    tacostache

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
    I'm taking it in this week but I was curious about it cause I couldn't find anything for the 5 speed. Would it be the same as the 6 speed? I'd like to know as much about it for when it comes time for me to do it myself :D

4. Dec 10, 2015 at 1:04 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    You're probably not going to like this answer, as you've likely seen it before, but this is normal and no amount of changing fluids will help. Mine has done it since I bought it, and after more than 70,000 miles (total 92,000 miles), the trans is still going strong. Just shift it a little more slowly when the trans fluid is cold. Once warmed up, the crunch will go away, or at least not be as noticeable.

5. Dec 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    tacostache

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
    You're right... I did not like that answer lol. As long as it's normal I can live with it. I just want to be sure it doesn't need repairs. Hopefully the service guy says the same *fingers crossed*. Thanks for the feedback!

6. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    1-2, 2-3 are the roughest I have ever experienced. It goes into gear with a quiet "crunch." I think it has something to do with the aluminum syncros vs brass.
    Now at over 70K miles, it's much smoother, but it still feels like a stick in a bucket of pebbles.
    Some say it helps to change the trans fluid with a quality synthetic like Mobil 1 (or Redline in my case). Unfortunately, I made the change at 30K where the tranny is more broken in and I didn't notice a huge difference. Perhaps at 9k, you might have a different result.

tacostache[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  8. Dec 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    A marquee of sports car that was oft used in SCCA events had a reputation of notchiness under various conditions, particularly in early to mid 90's version like mine was. Sometimes the adjustments like pointed out above were helpful, but the 1-2 up or down could still be a bit off. Of some interest, many of the parts in that car were bin bits from it's brothers and sisters in the family, and the 5spd was a truck trans, tweaked up a bit (short shifter, different clutch, etc.). So it wasn't purpose built to be a slick sports car trans. But it was very rugged.

That marquee called for GL4, and I think I've read that's the case here as well?

As you might know, that's not always easy to find anymore.

So my first change I went to Redline, and saw a bit of improvement, especially after it was hot. Nice snick-snick shifting. 2nd change I tried Royal Purple. No difference over Redline, neither better or worse.

Third change I tried a newer product that all the fast cats were raving about, Ford XT-M5-QS. I could see why. After a couple hundred miles, snick-snick was the new normal.

Available at your Ford parts place. They may have to order it in if there's not a lot of sports Fords in your area. Be sure you get exactly the numbers above, no alternates. It's not cheap, but there's also no reason to change under 50k intervals with it either, as long as the trans is not abused.

If you try it, let us know if it helped any.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    tacostache[OP] and gearcruncher like this.
  9. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    tacostache

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
    Thanks a lot for all the feedback I really appreciate it. I'll see if the technician is able to figure out what's up and I'll be sure to update!

10. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:18 PM
    tacostache

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
  11. Dec 11, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    tacostache

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Model
    intake and headers
    Just got back from the Toyota dealer. He said everyone looks good and the noise is normal. But if it gets any worse I may try using some higher grade oil to see if it helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top