1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

travel trailer towing capability

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by martygangis, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    martygangis

martygangis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Timber TRD
    Hey guys, I have a 2010 double cab TRD w/tow package. Love the truck, but now I'm thinking RVing when i retire in 3 years. Not sure if a tacoma is a good choice when towing a less than 5,000 pound trailer all over the country. You owner thoughts? Good deal on tundras right now and great resale on a tacoma.:)

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Its rated 6500. If you get a tundra you get bad fuel economy. But if you tow with a tacoma you may put alot of strain on it all over the country.

3. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I tow a 3,000# one with no problems except for the sucky mileage maybe if I slowed down it would help. I think 3,000 to 3,500 would be the max for comfortable towing yeah they will tow more but it becomes more of a hand full.

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    You would probably want a load equalizing hitch and definitely an anti-sway device. Trailer brakes are a must.

Lots of really good information has already be compiled here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

Ray

PS: Do you already have an RV trailer? If not, then shop for one of the smaller, lighter units. Maybe one that collapses for towing?

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    gaiusgracchus

gaiusgracchus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaius
    amherst
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD V6 4x2
    We tow a 4000 lb trailer with weight distribution hitch. We have a tow package on our 2011 Tacoma Access Cab.
    We went from Chilliwack BC, Canada to Sacramento CA, mostly I5. Definitely had some hills.
    We are looking at trading our Tacoma in for a Ford F150 Ecoboost. (We will lose a lot of money, to be sure. We paid cash for our new Tacoma about 7 months ago.)

Things we love about our Tacoma:
    ---------------------------------
    Mileage - not even broken in, about 22-23 mpg on hwy driving, 17 city. Towing drops to closer to 15, maybe a bit more if flat highway most of the way.

Appearance - Classy interior, cool looking exterior, sporty-looking, etc. The Fords are just ugly, we think. Inside and out.

Turn Circle - wheelbase on Tacoma shorter and it turns (for a truck) on a dime. The Ford does not turn that tightly.

Fun to drive - light, peppy

Reasons we want to switch
    --------------------------
    Towing experience - The Tacoma certainly does tow 4000lbs, since it is rated for 6500.
    And on the flat highway it rolls along very nicely. But when you hit a relative steep grade, it definitely wants to be in a lower gear and we take it out of overdrive (auto transmission) which would be 5th gear, I believe. We take it out of 4th and into 3rd, on occasion. If we don't do this manually it starts popping itself into and out of gears. We slow down to maybe 40 - 45 mph on grades like that. We don't have a temp gauge on the transmission, but we should. If we are careful it seems to work fine, though. It definitely can tow that weight, just slowly up the grades.

Roomier Interior - We want a long bed so we are looking at the Super Cab (same thing as Access Cab in Toyota). The seats are more comfortable, nicer, and in fact the entire truck interior is larger in the F150. Much larger.

Driving safety - The Ford has some nice safety features. Our Tacoma spins and the rear end slides on wet surfaces (unloaded). The Ford seems to have less of a problem with that - anti skid or weight or something. The safety ratings seem higher on some parameters than the Tacoma (roll, roof, etc.)

Towing Safety - our trailer weighs about the same as the truck. So when we came to a bit of a fast stop on a very slight downhill slope, it was scary. The truck and trailer both slid a bit and it was not fun. The Ford is MADE to tow. The Tacoma is not.

If we were going to tow only occasionally, we'd gladly keep the Tacoma. But we are going to be towing all over the country. It is quite a sacrifice to give up the gas mileage (the Ford F150 ecoboost only gets about 9-13 mpg towing depending on the weight of the trailer). But it will tow the 4000lbs much, much easier. We are going for the 3.73 axle ratio on the Ford.

To Top