1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trowbocop's SR5 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds' started by Trowbocop, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Aug 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop [OP] Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Volant Cold Air Intake, 3" JBA Catback Exhaust, JBA Headers, rock sliders, Kobalt toolbox, bedlined rocker panels, derped grill, rims and emblems, custom rear bumper, OME Nitrocharger Sport Suspension 881s & Dakars +aal, 265-75-16 duratracs, Herculined bed, sleeping platform, protop 100 shell, weathertech digital cut floormats, cb & external speaker, dumped exhaust after axle, sleeping platform/ 4.5" memory foam mattress
    Good to know! What's your rear setup? Also, I know I've seen it before, but what size tires are you running? Do you have a diff drop installed? I've got one laying around I might install with the 883s

2. Aug 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Professional Web Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    im on a worn out spring pack with an AAL and crap 5100s. making a new leaf pack in a couple weeks though. the rear has never been as smooth or responsive as the 883s. i will say i do run the older and softer OME N91 shock rather than the new sports so that might help in my case.

i do not have a diff drop as they dont truly drop the diff, only rotate it IMO. its something to consider if you have vibration issues, which i do not. i recently changed my tires. had 235/85/16s but now run a 255/75/17. both are classified as 32" tires, although the 255s are C rated compared to the old E rated 235s, thus smoothing the ride a bit in themselves.
    [​IMG]In the Rain Forest by bspringli photography, on Flickr

3. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Volant Cold Air Intake, 3" JBA Catback Exhaust, JBA Headers, rock sliders, Kobalt toolbox, bedlined rocker panels, derped grill, rims and emblems, custom rear bumper, OME Nitrocharger Sport Suspension 881s & Dakars +aal, 265-75-16 duratracs, Herculined bed, sleeping platform, protop 100 shell, weathertech digital cut floormats, cb & external speaker, dumped exhaust after axle, sleeping platform/ 4.5" memory foam mattress
    Solid, thanks for the input. Just read on TTORA someone had the 883s sans armor, and it shook everything loose in their dash/ cab. Have you experienced excess rattling, or does this happen to you?

Thinking of installing my 883s + 10mm lift enhancer tomorrow! :woot:

4. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    they were firm but once broken in they really smoothed out. i dont have any real rattles either. like i said before, the shocks could make the difference. everyone also has different preferences. i really like how my front rides.

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Measured fenders again today: 37" in the front and 40.5" in the rear. I guess they didn't sag too much, but I was really stoked on the pre-broken in height haha. Either that, or I'm just used to my height and am ready for a bit of a boost. Also, I've got a monster rake right now, but it performs so well with a full bed loaded on trails, I don't mind it.

6. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    Where did ya score the Kobalt box? And how much if ya don't mind....
    Nice build by the way...

7. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks sir, it was on my truck when I got it actually, so I'm not sure what the original owner got it for. Very handy though, I love it.

8. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    Thanks..

9. Sep 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Planning a Pacific NW trip in the upcoming months.

Now in the market for a camper shell and racks for my girlfriend and my surf boards and bikes. Going to build a sleeping platform and under storage in the bed.

Might be selling the toolbox with gas can mounts to fund the trip pending interest...

I've never been to the PNW, but I'm stoked! Places on the list, Tahoe, Redwoods, Portland, Spokane, BC, Glacier National Park, Boise..etc.

Will keep updated as plans develop.

10. Sep 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    I'm an hour outside of Spokane. Let me know it you are coming through!

11. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Awesome! Will do. Will most likely make a thread, and see if anyone wants to meet up and hit a trail along the way.

Honestly, we're scouting areas to move to, something like a smaller town with plenty of outdoor activities at our disposal. We're sick of the grind of SoCal.

12. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    You'll like Coeur d alene a lot better than Spokane ;) it's only 30 miles east of Spokane too.

Keep me posted!

13. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Don't forget that in the coming months, temps will drop and chances of running into snow increases!

14. Sep 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    Yea wont get to go many places. Already snowing in Wyoming and mt and parts of ID.

15. Sep 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Funny you say that, one of my buddies I met in Utah is from there. Yeah, we realize the weather situation, would like to take off within this month if possible!

If we don't get out before the winter, we've got a while to wait for the snow to melt, my sanity can't wait that long!

Thanks for the input guys!

16. Sep 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Dates are locked in with work: October 6th- 13th! Planning on stopping by Tahoe for a night, then somewhere in the Redwoods, Oregon for a night or so, Washington for a night or so, then up to Vancouver, and over then down through Montana, and possibly down through Idaho & Utah, then back to LA.

Either make a big loop like that, or head up, over to MT, then back to the coast and down.

:woot: :woot: off to :canada:

17. Sep 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    Left out the best state.

18. Sep 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Idaho was in there :confused:

19. Sep 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Haha, I know Monte, if CO (my home state) was in the plans we would definitely be going through WY. We probably won't have time to hit up Utah, and will probably only see Couer d'Alene if we make it to Spokane.

Topper hunting is in full season. Trying to lock something down this weekend and start to build my sleeping platform. The guy is sending me pics of the Century tomorrow morning, most likely while I'm at 2 different shell shops hoping for a used one. The Century isn't carpeted, it is water tight, and it has a dome light. He is looking to sell it for $175. Might be too good to pass up :unsure:

This is what I'd like, but new is pretty spendy. Turns out to be just shy of $1300 with tax and carpeted interior.

[​IMG]

20. Sep 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    Trowbocop

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5
    Getting pretty annoyed by my driveline vibes, might order some axle shims to counter that prior to the trip.

List of items pending to prep truck for trip:

Herculiner

finally get around to wiring cb, it's been mounted for almost 2 ys now..

relocate diff breathers

spray all my rusty parts (sliders & where they mount to parts of frame)

oil change and inspection

build sleeping platform

To Top