1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to add temperature/compass overhead console

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by raythys, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    raythys

raythys [OP] New Member

Member:
    My 2011 Toyota Tacoma did not come with a compass/temperature overhead console. I recently purchased a compass/temperature overhead console off of e-bay that will slip into my 2011 Toyota Tacoma. My Tacoma has the wiring harness for the compass/temperature unit. I pulled out the the current overhead console and plugged the wires into the map light and the compass/temperature unit and it does not work. I checked under the hood and there is a sensor unit on the wire that I was told was the sensor unit for the temperature unit. My map lights work. My question is whether there is a fuse that I need to insert to make the compass/temperature unit work? I was under the impression if the wiring harness and sending unit was in the truck all I had to do is snap a compass/temperature unit in and it should work.

Any Ideas?

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM
    The Traveler

The Traveler REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
  3. Jul 31, 2012 at 4:42 AM
    davelac

davelac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Where on eBay did you find it? I'm interested in this mod also.

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    709GADE

709GADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC LB - Pyrite Mica
    Toyota aluminium side steps, Toyota door sill protectors Extang trifecta tonneau cover, U-Haul Class 3 hitch, Black Weathertech's, Front mudflaps trimmed 4", OEM Fog Lights, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, 13" Stubby antenna, TRD Skid Plate, ScanGaugeII, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Plasti Dipped overhead temp/compass console
    Maybe you bought a 05-08 console which does not work in a 09+...

5. Jul 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    raythys

raythys [OP] New Member

Member:
    You are right. I took the one from ebay to the dealership and they told me it was out of a 2006. I contacted the seller and he is going to return my money as soon as I ship it back. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Anyone know where I can purchase a grey color overhead console with compass and temperature that will go into a 2011 Tacoma extended cab?

6. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    709GADE

709GADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC LB - Pyrite Mica
    Toyota aluminium side steps, Toyota door sill protectors Extang trifecta tonneau cover, U-Haul Class 3 hitch, Black Weathertech's, Front mudflaps trimmed 4", OEM Fog Lights, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, 13" Stubby antenna, TRD Skid Plate, ScanGaugeII, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Plasti Dipped overhead temp/compass console
    That's good news, keep looking in the buy/sell section every so often one will be for sale.

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB SR5 V6
    how much did you pay, just curious?

8. Aug 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    raythys

raythys [OP] New Member

Member:
    I spent $220:)

9. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    litegide24

litegide24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If your 2011 is a 6 cylinder sr5, the '09-'11 console will work. If its a 4 cylinder (including double cab prerunners) then you're going to have some problems.

I recently purchased a 2011 console with 2011 part numbers and when plugged in the compass showed direction, the map lights work although the temp reads F ---. I may have to determine which pins would require a New temp sensor run to the grill area from the console location. The wiring harness including the sensor looks identical to that of a V6 truck.

The 09-11 models are way harder to acquire, from what I understand you could buy the '08 console (without the 1-year search) for less and run your own wires.

Kinda the same thing I'm going to do with the '11 console in a '11 4 Cyl (prerunner).

To Top