1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB List for 2005+ Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Angus_NB, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    TRDh4vok

TRDh4vok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Palm Beach County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD PreRunner Sport
    -4" MaxTrac Spindle lift -5100 RCD Bilstein's -1/2" Strut Spacer driver's side (Taco Lean fix) -1/4" Strut Spacer passenger side (Taco Lean fix) -4" Tapered Blocks -Extended length U bolts -Front Skid Plate -Exhaust Tip -Tube Steps - Silver -Bed Extender -LEER Tonneau Cover -Rampage Roof Cab Lights -Rampage Tailgate Light Bar Six Function SUPERBRITE with Reverse Lights, Running Lights, Brake lights, Emergency Hazard and L & R turn signals -exLED Toyota Tacoma Custom interior LED Light Kit -PIAA Xtreme White Plus head lights and fog lights -NITTO Terra Grapplers 285-70-17 -30" Avec CR-Series Led Light Bar in bumper grill -Two 6.5" Led light bar's attached to the A pillars -Hood hinge bracket mounts from Famous Fabrications -Exhaust muffler Aero Turbine AT2525XL -OEM Roof Racks -OTTRAW Rocker switch -Stant locking gas cap -Large T emblem and mid mount bracket from Diaz Fabrications
  2. Aug 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    Nice one! on the spark knock noise TSB thanks

3. Aug 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    Hey All,

I check this forum all the time, thanks OP for keeping everything updated.

My truck is at the dealer right now for the two TSB's recently discussed / Spark Knock Noise and Driveline Vibration. I work directly with the service manager at Toyota every time since the one incident where they left the oil catcher cup in my engine.

He states they have to justify the TSBs with the MFG and that there is absolutely no way that he'll be authorized legally to perform the two TSB's.

He said the vibration can't be isolated because I have upgraded suspension and leafs, he won't even be able to just do the engine mounts or the steering wheel dampener.

He also recommended a tuner because of my AFE Intake and upgraded exhaust, stating that these upgrades prevent him from working on the spark knock noise.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if someone has gotten pushback before but still got the dealer to go through with it - thinking maybe I should contact some of the other local Toyota dealers.

Thanks for any help guys

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Anybody have the spark knock TSB done and then still have what appears to be according to the tech "spark knock"? had the TSB done this weekend but still have the rattle/knock around the same rpms with the motor under slight stress conditions.

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    My bed is beginning to sag even more now. It is no longer level and beginning to squat! I will take it back to the dealer and have them look at it again. If anything I hope this establishes a 'report card' of sorts documenting the progression of sag to the point some type of action will be needed . . .

6. Sep 10, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    Mag16tac

Mag16tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ford F150 XLT 2.7 ecoboost!!!!
    Trying to determine if I should attempt to get the spark knock TSB done. I seem to hear more positive experiences however, I have about 1200 miles on my 2014 4.0 and seem to only hear the knock during a warm engine on a very hot day under load. My concern is I may have issues trying to duplicate the problem to the dealer and unfortunately they probably will refuse to do the TSB and say operates as designed. The good news is, it's not that bad yet so will experiment with different fuels but will not step up to higher octane to try and solve a problem that I feel Toyota needs to fix.

7. Sep 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    acrossawire

acrossawire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Icon Coilovers & AAL
    I'm experiencing what seems to be the same issue in my 2010 DCSB. anyone else seen this in the pre 2012's? same fix?

8. Sep 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Your truck is way outside of the warranty period where Toyota would cover it. They are way proud of their springs, so I would look at aftermarket options that are designed more for how you use your truck.

Loading new firmware only costs the dealer a little bit of time, so even if you can't reproduce it for them they shouldn't argue much if you know what the fix is. I would take the TSB with you, tell them that you have pinging, and ask them to apply it.

There is different emissions equipment starting in 2012, so the firmware is most likely different on pre-2012 trucks.

Brie likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    HectoRome

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    Bought it last month with 29k on it with extended warranty.
    Brought it in once already and was told they were still in spec and that they're covered under my extended warranty (+ I'm still inside 36k miles)
    It's just getting them to actually do it is the issue . . .

10. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Yes, I replied to your earlier post. It's outside the years, not the mileage, and the extended warranty is outside of what Toyota corporate will reimburse the dealer for -- that extended warranty is a dealer warranty, not Toyota. They have already told you they are in spec. They will continue that story, most likely. If they decide to do something for you, it is on their dime, the warranty company (if there is one) isn't going to do anything unless you break a spring. You are dealing with the dealer and the dealer alone, they have no backup. If they think you are going to bring them enough business to cover their loss, they might help you.

Not trying to be buzzkill, just being a real. I think you will be happier with aftermarket springs, or adding airbags, whatever it takes for your expected usage. For occasional quad hauling, I would just add some Firestone RideRites and adjust as needed.

Brie likes this.
  11. Sep 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    HectoRome

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TenBeers,

Greatly appreciate your valued input.
    Actually I have a line on a pair of 3 leaf tsb w/ome aals spring packs (my current spring packs are 2) for a very agreeable price!
    Since the truck is my DD and will be on road 98% of the time and I'm of the opinion the Tacoma in factory form is a very capable vehicle. I am inclined to believe this would be the ideal set up. If ever more is required I would go with a full OME set up to handle the task . . .

12. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    Daytime running lamps:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/336016-drls-melting-need-new-cover.html#post8896668

Rear leaf spring recall:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+tacoma+recall+sept29.htm

I'm curious to see how the leaf spring recall is handled in light of the TSB for harsh rear ride.

EDIT: Visited dealer and they don't have the solution in yet, but they did note that the solution will involve replacing leaf packs. First they need to get enough manufactured and in stock, then they will send letters.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Brie likes this.
  13. Sep 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    Do it!!! Do it!!! :D

14. Sep 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    FX Jenkins

FX Jenkins Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco OR, 2010 4Run Limited, 2017 TRD Pro
    I just looked up my VIN # and I'm eligible....hope its a 4 pack

15. Sep 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    added the TWB for the headlights since it's close to a TSB. the leaf springs are a recall, not a TSB or TWB.

16. Sep 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    Hmmm....new leaf springs and headlights? Merry Christmas to me!!!!

17. Sep 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    Oregon TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I'm reading thru the DTRL melting warranty policy bulliten.....it says "PRIMARY COVERAGE offers the warranty enhancement until November 30th,2015 with no mileage limitation"

so....I know last year I was told (by Toyota) my truck is to old and has gone past the mileage for fixing this bullshit. So does that line that I read^^^ mean I'm good to go now?

Brie likes this.
  18. Sep 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    Oregon TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    Just got off the phone with my buddy at Toyota. They are going to call me at the end of the day and have me come in and get a new set of headlights.:D

They said the leaf spring deal is exactly what was said in another post in here.

There will be a letter sent to us stating the problem, then another one once they have inventory built up to swap spring packs. :D:D

19. Sep 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    BAMATAC10

BAMATAC10 Active Member

Member:
    Birmingham,AL
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner V6 SR5 Access Cab
    I just put some mulch in my bed and it's on fire! Gee I wonder why? Is that leaf springs on the other side of the parking lot?

20. Oct 1, 2014 at 5:17 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah...what warranty bulletin/extension opens them up to replacing all until that period ends.

Products Discussed in

To Top