1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

uncleART's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by uncleART, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    uncleART

uncleART [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    I used Rustoleum automotive gray primer and flat black paint. I already had the paint, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's survived a brown bear carwash. After my lift & tires, this is my next favorite mod! Lol.

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Nice! Probably do this within the next few days! Been procrastinating but it's that time!

3. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    Danimal69361

Danimal69361 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Scottsbluff, NE
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Always hot AUX plug. Wet Okole's. 33" tires.

So am I to understand... NO CUTTING? This is exactly the setup I want to go. I don't mind putting new parts on to achieve this. I would like to be able to go back to stock if I ever have to sell it. How much lift did you get out of the rear leafs? Would the wheel spacers cause a problem wheeling?

4. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    That's right - no cutting behind the wheel. At full stuff with full lock, I might rub a little on the front plastic well liner.

I got about 2-3/8" lift from my Dakars. Check this thread out. 2nd Gen OME Dakar hub to fender measurements

The wheel spacers are solid. You can go wheeling hard with them. BensonX has wheeled pretty good with his Bora's.

5. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Future Tacoma

Future Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Purchased a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Stock at this time.
    Nice looking truck. I like your modifications.

I purchased a 2013 Tacoma DCSB 4WD TRD Offroad in early May 2013 for my wife as her new daily driver.

I have ordered a lot of things to put on her new truck.

I hope to have them installed in August.

Have a great day.

6. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Thanks! It makes for a good DD.

7. Jul 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    slaphappy

slaphappy Mama didn't raise no fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
    Silver Fresco 2010 FJ Cruiser 4WD
    Man I love lifted DCLB Tacomas!

8. Jul 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Thanks tc. I thought about a short bed, but I needed to be practical. I don't like how they look NOT lifted as much.

9. Jul 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Nice job Arty! The 285s look good with the lift. Your truck is coming along very nicely. MGM DCLB FTW!

10. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Thanks Kelly! I am having a lot of fun with it.

11. Jul 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    Odi412

Odi412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PIttsburgh
    Vehicle:
    20 pro
    Love it.
    Running those light uca's was purely to allow for 285's right? With 5100's (or OMEs), coils, and dakar leafs; it would align and run properly with thinner wheels and stock uca's correct? Sorry, Im new and trying to plan out my suspension.

12. Jul 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Thanks Odi.
    My aftermarket UCA reasons are 2-fold. Installing these so I could run 285s were not the only reason.

First, the higher your lift, the more limited you are in achieving proper caster. (Caster is your front to rear angle between the UCA & LCA). You only can adjust caster with the LCA cams. Aftermarket UCAs for our trucks have a higher caster built in to their geometry. Meaning the upper ball joint is further back than the lower one. Many of them are not adjustable, but will allow you to get your caster within spec. There are some really good choices out there for non-adjustable UCAs. Very stout.
    The challenge is, when you attempt to get the caster in spec with these, you can lose rear tire/well clearance. Then the solution for oversized tires is to chop the cab mount and fold over the pinch weld, etc. These things are not hard to do, just more to add to the list. Also wheel selection, in terms of width and back spacing, can compound the rubbing issues because of increased steer radius within the wheel well.

My second reason for going with the adjustable UCAs was the ability to move my wheel-center forward and still achieve caster adjustment within spec. Gaining clearance behind the tire and avoiding the wheel well mods. This was an advantage because of my tire choice.

My wheel spacer choice generated mostly from not being able to decide on an aftermarket wheel. Lol. So I decided that I would just stick with stock for now. The 1" spacer and narrow stock wheel combo ended up being a great compromise for me. But a 8" wheel with a 4.5" backspacing would work just fine. Probably just a little plastic trimming in the front of the wheel well.

An important consideration must be what kind of wheeling you will do.
    If you are going to do some hard-core, higher speed offroad driving; then I do not recommend the LR UCAs. The camber adjustment can get knocked out. You can find some examples of this happening here on TW. But if you're just planning on some mild wheeling, like me; then the Light Racing UCAs can be a great choice.

I know this is a long winded answer, but I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  13. Jul 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Odi412

Odi412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PIttsburgh
    Vehicle:
    20 pro
    But with adjustable struts and the Dakar pack wouldn't you be no more than 3"? So the aftermarket uca wouldn't really be necessary to achieve proper caster and alignment? Thank you for all the clarification

14. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Hi Odi. Sorry I missed this last post of yours. I believe that it's recommended to upgrade the UCAs when lifting between 2 1/2" - 3". At 3", you would struggle to get 2 degrees of caster. The ride might get a little squirrely.

15. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Trailer Plug Relocated. Updated the OP. ^^^^

[​IMG]

16. Aug 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    I installed this sticker today. Thanks tcBob! :D

[​IMG]

17. Aug 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    slaphappy

slaphappy Mama didn't raise no fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
    Silver Fresco 2010 FJ Cruiser 4WD
    How'd you get one?! I pm'd tcBob but never got a response.. :(

18. Aug 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    You just gotta be patient & polite. I had to PM him a couple of times. I would imagine that he is very busy and maybe even missed my first PM.

19. Aug 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    Tacozilla

Tacozilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM
    Hello, great looking truck,
    I was looking at the BOLT lock you have and the receiver with D shackle. You said that its a CBI receiver and shackle.

I am unable to find that brand/set up. What is the rating on it and where did you get it from..I was able to find a company CSI. I like the clean smooth look that your has.

I would be interested to know here you got or a part number for the set up thanks. I already have the bolt lock, just interested in the receiver and shackle.

Thanks for your time.

20. Aug 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    uncleART

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    Thanks man. I got it from a local 4x supplier. I don't have a part number. I think I paid like $40. The shackle is a 4-3/4 Ton (9500 lb.) wll rated. There is also a Smitty Built and some others that are similar.
    gu5amedu_043908959688ab8f51fb418d84c40c3879d6d63e.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top