1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

V6 Automatic: suddenly hard to get in and out of Park

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YIOTTA, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    YIOTTA

YIOTTA [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    New to me
    Here's some background:

Feb 2011, I bought an '05 Tacoma V6 Auto TRD sport with only 33K on it. As it is 6 years old already, I figured I should have all fluids changed so I did the oil, differentials and transfer case myself. Next, after reading the AT Fluid change thread I was confident I could drop the transmission pan dropped and have the metal cleaned out of the pan, a new filter installed and then flush the system. June 2011, A local Valvoline shop gave me a price I could not refuse and they attempted this but 2 of the first 3 bolts broke trying to remove the pan so they stopped there (probably need to soak them with PB Blaster a few days before). He already dumped the fluid so he topped it up and they sent me to AAMCO to get the broken bolts replaced, which I did. The truck seemed fine afterwards.

I have another beater commuter car that I drive most of the time to keep miles down on the Taco, so it sits idle alot until now.
    The truck tranny seemed fine until recently, this is a new problem. And, the tranny works fine when driving, it's just getting in and out of Park and Drive.

Now, the last few times I drove the truck it is very hard to get out of park and into gear. I am almost forcing it from Park and it has to go to 4 to get to D. It is tough getting back into park as well.

Now, it's getting wintery in New England and I need my 4x4 truck. I drove it last night for an hour and it is no different when warm.

My research shows it can be realated to brake lights but they are all working. I may try the fluid level check myself...not the most intuitive thing but please let me know if that is my next step or if there are other common things I should check.

Thanks!

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    reloadedkid

reloadedkid Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Streak Mica
    1.5 leaf spring lift, Behind the grill hella light with hid, Billet grille painted black, Core racing Wheels. Steering wheel cover.
    check you break light switch or shift inter-lock solinoid....

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
  4. Nov 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    YIOTTA

YIOTTA [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    New to me
    Thanks all! - With the Thanksgiving Holiday craziness, I did not have time to look into my shifting problem. However, I have been driving the Tacoma regularly and that seems to have everything to do with the problem because it has disappeared...fixed itself. The shifting in and out of Park/Drive is butter just like the day I bought it. Seems to have everything to do with the truck sitting idle for a couple weeks at a time. I read a couple posts where guys take the console apart and 're-lube' the shift assembly so I'll look for details on that. If anyone cares to post a link with details on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it. If I find one I'll link it here.

Products Discussed in

To Top