1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wax as good as LIQUID GLASS???

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by river rat 69, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    L.G. is getting hard to find is now at 22 bucks a pint. Anyone know of a wax as good as or better then liquid glass. Not happy with Ice, Meguiar's or liquid brilliance. Thanks for your time, Jim

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Liquid Glass is killer buy I cant find it in parts store anymore, Guess it cost too much and is not selling anymore. I know its online but with shipping its like 26 bucks, time to find a new wax. Jim P.S. not a fan of Meguiar's white residue..

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    GSB

GSB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odenton, MD 21113
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC Long Bed
    Optimum Opti-seal

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Opti-Seal-P279/8-oz-S1/

Might seem expensive, but it will last for years. I would bet you can get 60 or 70 uses out of 1 bottle. Good thing about it is you spray 2 or 3 pumps per panel rub in with the yellow pad and walk away. No buffing out and no stains on trim. You can do the glass, trim, plastic. Just use very little. And the shine lasts a long time. I can do my whole truck in 20 min.

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never tried liquid glass before but this summer I've tried Mothers FX Synwax and so far I like it alot. Easy to put on and take off, leaves a nice shine.

5. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
  6. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Shitty cell phone pics don't do it justice, but here's mine with Dodo Juice carnuba.

My process

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
  8. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    BmanDad

BmanDad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Been using Meguiars NXT on our cars for a few years now... IMO, its the best I've used, and I've been quite particular about my SRT8's appearance. Dare I say it looks as good as vehicles where the owners buy expensive, multi-stage "treatment" finishes and waxes. The SRT8 is a weekend/extra car, and I'm in SOCAL, but since using the NXT, I've waxed that car 3 or 4 times in 3 years and it shines and beads water without fail.

On the Murano (wife's daily driver) it holds up well on that vehicle also... we've had the Murano about a year and I've only had to wax it twice.

IMO: the way to get the most out of any finishing finish (wax) is, as soon as you get the car, wash it and dry it well. Claybar every painted surface of the car until it's totally free of grit/contaminants. Polish the vehicle. Then apply two coats of your given wax.

Using this method, my cars only require an occassional waxing to look brilliant.

Of course, my uncle who's been gone for 10+ years, would use ONLY a natural wax on his classic cars... sure, you had to wax more often, but... I'll tell you what, I've yet to duplicate the brilliance of his finishes (and his cars were painted stock and driven daily). It's all in the effort and attention to detail...

Of course, mileage will vary if you're off roading.

9. Aug 4, 2011 at 5:15 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Thanks all, some good post here. The nephew found liquid glass at toyota of Orlando they sell it now in the parts dept.for 19 bucks, told him to pick me up a can as he works out that way. I love this stuff been using it for 20 years so I guess for now Ill stick with what I like & know works good for me................Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top