1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can i tow??

Discussion in 'Towing' started by shrimperman, May 16, 2009.

1. May 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I have a 2003 tacoma 4x4 double cab v6 truck and was wondering how much weight i can tow with this.It only has the ball on the bumper for now.Im interested in towing a 25 ft travel trailer maybe 1000km a summer.Can i tow a 5 th wheel type trailer with this truck??What kinda of hitch set up do i need?

Thanks for your input.

2. May 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You have to look at the weight rating for the truck and the weight of the trailer.

If it's a 5th wheel with a gooseneck you need a gooseneck hitch...If it's a regular tongue trailer you need a ball. For a trailer that large- Trailer brakes and a controlled with a weight distributing hitch might be a good idea.

If you don't have the towing package might be a stretch...I'm not sure.

Check out the towing bible and expect tons of opinions and ideas about how to move your trailer!!

Welcome to the board.

3. May 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Y0TA

Y0TA TW Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Missoula
    Vehicle:
    05 BLK TRD Sport 4X4
    15% tint, debadged, painted black interior, 50s Flowmasters, K&N, Tailgait theft mod, Leer Topper, Sirius Sat Radio, BHLM, 4300k HIDs, DTRL mod, Metra Ipod adapter, Hella 500 behind black billet grille, OME 885s w/ AAL, Light Racing UCAs, Weathertech liners, Konig countersteers w/285s M/Ts, Scangauge II, 886 bulbs, Aux. reverse lights, Custom Bumper with Westin 8500 winch, Marathon camo seat covers
  4. May 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks,,so i can tow a 5th wheel with it.?The pan/box is not 2 small?

thanks

5. May 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm not sure...I haven't seen a 5th wheel set up for the Taco. I don't THINK there should be clearance issues...but I'm not sure.

6. May 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks bro for the info,,,it only has a ball on the bumper now.How much weight can be pulled using the ball on the bumper?Not much im figurin.Truck seems to have decent power.

7. May 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Well...The 05+ trucks on the V6 can pull like 6500 pounds with the tow package. Do you know if you have the tow package or not??

8. May 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    ic,,no i dont i checked that today actually.One more question if you dont mind cuz you seem like you know your stuff,,Can i tow a trailer directly from the ball that is on the bumper right now or do i have to add a different ball/hitch?

9. May 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad I have someone fooled....I just know the right questions to ask to get the process started...Lots of other folks know MUCH better than I what is going on.

I wouldn't want to try and pull that 25 footer with your bumper...But lighter trailers are probably ok.

10. May 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:

lmao,,thanks for info bro!!

11. May 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    No worries....and keep your eye on this thread...cause the other folks will be around I'm sure...Hopefully I didn't give you any bad info...

12. May 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    dellaquila

dellaquila Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4
    I'm pretty sure the 02-04 Tacomas are rated to tow either 3500 or 5000 pounds, depending on if you have the tow package or not. I have an 02 xtra cab 3.4L 4x4 and it's only rated to pull 3500 since I don't have the factory package according to the color of my fan housing (mine's orange). I do have a dealer installed hitch rated at 5000 pounds and I installed a brake controller/7 pin plug so I'm not worried about towing more than 3500 for short distances, but only since I have a manual transmission. If you have an auto you should really look into an oil cooler.

13. May 17, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The 1st gen trucks only have a 5,000lb (or less) towing capacity with a hitch.
    I wouldn't tow anything on the bumper/ball.

Check your owners manual or do some research. The bumper will have a separate tow rating and it's NOT even close to 5,000lbs.

14. May 21, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought a 24ft terry wilderness that weighs 4000lbs according to the dealer.before i tow the trailer im installing weight distribution hitch,sway bars,tranny cooler and a brake controller.AM i good to go now ya think?Shouldnt have no prob towing it im hoping.

15. May 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags
    I would make sure I had a quality frame mounted reciever hitch installed before considering towing it.

vince

16. May 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    yes i am getting a good frame mounted hitch b4 i move it.

17. May 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    I have about the same set up your getting, I do have a 08 Tacoma with tow package, and you will definitely know it’s behind you, the WD hitch and sway bars really help. I am planning on pulling mine 24Ft Jayco 4500lbs out east (gods Country) this summer, round trip 2000km.
    oh and get some good trailer mirrors.

18. May 22, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    No place like newfoundland.Do you think it is better to tow in 4 whell drive or leave it in 2 wheel drive?

19. May 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    missguin

missguin New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner
    I currently tow a 2-horse trailer with a bumper pull...can I put a ball in my truck bed and pull an aluminum 2-horse gooseneck?? Trailer weight will probably be around 3500....

I have an "05 Tacoma Pre-runner with a 5 ft bed...

I've heard of someone doing it with a similar size ford truck....

thanks

20. Jun 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    sportee

sportee Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Still planning :)
    Just a bit of clarification...based on some questions that were asked.

The SR5 will tow 3500 off the bumper and 5000 off a frame mounted hitch. Add the TRD package and you get 6500 off a frame mounted hitch. (from the factory info)

As for fifth wheels, towing is not a probelm as long as you are within the tow rating of the truck...but...with the "composite" (plastic) bed you have to be a bit inventive with bolting down that gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. You will have to figure out how to get those mounting bolts through to the frame...

To Top