1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the hell!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by booboy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Had the same thing happen to my Tacoma, last year. Filled the truck up, park it, came out the next morning, the gas gauge was sitting on a quarter of a tank. The low life thief or thieves were nice enough to put the gas cap back on, but you could tell where some gas was spilt during the process.

I was upset about the stolen gas, but was relieved nothing else was damaged.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    ninja28

ninja28 What am I supposed to put in this box?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    North Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DC TRD Off-Road MGM
    More to come
    Lol...stiff hose. Sorry bout the gas man.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
  4. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Another sign that gas prices are going up.....

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    both my toyotas has locking doors? my 1990 and now my 97 taco??? and its a cheap taco... weird that your newer trucks dont have it...

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Toyota's term for it is "kaizen" - Japanese for continuous improvement of the company's bottom line. :p

There may be some difficulty (or reliability problem) with routing a manual cable from the cab to the bed, because the two structures flex separately. However, Toyota could have used a cheap electric actuator like Mazda has been doing with its Millenia since 1995.

7. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Someone should make a manual actuator that just sits between the bed and cab or something. That way they think the door is locked, not knowing the lever isn't inside like most cars.

8. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I went to the dealer today. The parts guy said Toyota won't even sell locking gas caps anymore because of the engine light issue. So my question was then why didn't they make a locking gas door or a secure one, and they were stumped. So Toyota provides no solution for making the gas more secure.

So I am going to order one one on trdparts4u.com and hopefully it will work without making the engine light come on. Oneof the service guys at the dealer said he thinks the two they types for our truck they are talking about are the threaded ones vs. the non-threaded ones. If so I know mine is non-threaded.

Also, they said the parts number I gave them, from the trdparts4u site, is not a valid Toyota parts number so it may be an aftermarket locking cap.

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
  10. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I worry about locking the door.. as I've seen a lot of busted open/off doors. Cap is fine..cept I hate carrying extra keys and am one of those people that's always in a hurry.

11. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
  12. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  13. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto

The point is to keep people from messing with your vehicle. If someone was messing with your truck stealing gas at night while you were sleeping, would you side with your cost analysis and let them continue?

Regarding whether people are siphoning gas or not, there seems to be several people in this thread that have had this issue. I think its likely a means for money for users. I have some contacts in homeless outreach groups here, so I will ask them if they know anything of this. I guess its possible there could be an issue with the gas gauge, but it usually works perfectly, so it would have to be an intermittent issue.

I know there are screens or butterfly valves to prevent siphoning, but I bet someone, somewhere figured out a workaround while sitting around in prison. That is all I can think of. It is a bizarre mystery.

I too never heard of anyone getting siphoned but I think its happening. Maybe not where you live in Hawaii (except maybe Oahu), I but I would say more likely here in Mid City New Orleans.

14. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    booboy

booboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    I hate the fact that I'm gonna have to carry an extra key but I'd rather do a locking gas cap and spend $20 bucks then for someone to pour soda or sugar in my tank and end up having to get a new engine. I'm now having to leave the porch light on at night and back my truck in so the lights point toward the gas door.

I guess... better that they syphoned the gas then punctured a hole in my gas tank, right.

15. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    OK, who did you piss off...? :cool:

I am not worried with malicious tampering, as I think that is extremely rare that someone would do that.

While writing this post a detective for an insurance company just rung my doorbell investigating an alleged car theft in my neighborhood. He is a former state trooper who worked this neighborhood. He said it is still easy to siphon gas, and the culprit might just be someone who isn't selling it, but just filling their own tank up and not ever paying for gas. For example, driving around, hitting a few cars in one night will fill up your tank for a week or more. The way the economy is, some people are desperate.

He said its likely that my truck is getting tapped because its easy and one person is probably coming back for more, since I have the 'help yourself' fuel door. He said a locking gas cap might just send them on to another car. I mentioned reports of some people drilling holes into tanks, and he asaid its highly doubtful because the risk is too great for the reward. Power tools would make noise and a gas thief would want to work in silence and darkness. Its not worth getting caught for $15.00 of gas (1/4 tank).

So I will start with a locking gas cap, and keep the key stashed in the coin drawer, instead of on my keychain, so I can keep the keys in the ignition when filling up. A bit of a pain in the ass, but worth the minor deterrent to keep them moving on to another car.

Also, I am going to buy a siphon pump at the auto store to test it out to see if I can siphon easily, just for my own curiosity.

16. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    My 2000 tacoma had a locking gas door. I assumed it was standard. The person who had it before might have added it.

17. Jan 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    booboy

booboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    Honestly, I keep to myself in the neighborhood and normally wave to people when I'm driving down the street. Yeah, there are some punk kids who live right down the street but it's not fair for me to assume it was them, ya know. I think it's just some punk who targeted my truck since the other two vehicles in my driveway have locking gas doors.

Let me know what you conclude when you try to syphon your vehicle, I'm curious now.

18. Jan 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    IMO the 15 for the locking cap is worth it. It will slow people down long enough to get shot. It will make them move on to someone's car that thought the 15 wasn't worth it. Sure they can cut the filler hose or puncture the tank but that would take time and cause attention, again, just long enough to get shot or fucked up enough to not do it any more. It would have to happen in a public parking lot with lots of foot traffic if it was out of site or out of my garage at home or work. A locking 1/4 plate gas tank with steel filler neck seems to be in order.

19. Jan 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Locking caps are a great cheap investment. I picked one up this past summer after thefts began to rise in my area.

20. Jan 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    ImthePrez

ImthePrez Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD
    ill guard your truck for $1.50/hour

Products Discussed in

To Top