1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch/Lift/Winch Mount Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JohnNP, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Nov 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    JohnNP

JohnNP [OP] ForeRunners Future Wife :)~

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport JBL
    As of 11/4/15 1) Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod 2) ND4SPDBP's Fog Light Mod 3) Devil Horn Emblem 4) Weathertech Digital Floor Liners 5) ADD W-1 Vers 2 Baffled Oil Catch Can- constantly surprised at how much oil this thing captures 6) Weatherproof Under the rail LED bedlights Warm White (by Mattgecko) with hidden small cubby switch 7) Sliding Window Security Bar 8) Hood Lighting Kit Warm White /Pro Kit (by BeeRad) 9) Morimoto mini D2S retrofit HID lights w/ 55W ballasts and XB 5000k bulbs from TRS- one of the best modifications I have ever made, blows the stock lights out of the water 10) ImMrYo bracket 11) Scangauge II 12) Autodimming mirror w/ Compass/Temperature/Homelink 13) Bedrug Mat and Tailgate rug. 14) Pop n Lock Power tailgate lock w/ bolt coded to factory key. 15) Map Light w/ Door Mod 16) BakFlip HD Tonneau Cover 17) 35% Front windows ceramic tint - a very good match to factory 19) Gerber machete, because every truck needs a machete 20) Various flashlights, really love my Black Diamond Miner Mole Headlamp 21) AFE Pro Dry drop in filter 22) removed secondary charcoal air filter 23) Back up light Mod- I used the light bulb as found on page 14, 35W from Lowes. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/886-backup-light-mod.209578/page-14 24) Hi-Lift Off Road Recovery Kit- thank you TW Secret Santa 25) Tailgate Seal 26 interior footwell/rear seat dome light controlled LEDS https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/footwell-and-rear-seat-led-light-dome-switched-mod-lots-of-pics.409428/#post-11529460 27) pelfrybilt aluminum front skid 28) morimoto XB fog lights 29) mob town front recovery bar with 2 Smitty bilt D-Rings 30) 48" Extreme Hi-Lift Jacks w/ ATO rail mounts 31) Prinsu rack 32) Rigid D2 Ditch lights 33) 40" Heretic LED bar on Prinsu Rack 34) Kawell x 6 side lights 2 spot and 1 wide per side 35) Rigid SRQ2 x 2 rear facing asshole/backup lights 36) NSA switch panel to 150amp bussman fuse on custom made mount 37) 267/70/17 BFG KO2's in C rating Pending installation 1) Rock Lights Upcoming/Possible Mods 1) Katzkin Leather Seats in black/ice grey (supposedly better factory match for the 2014) w/ Degreeze heater/cooling and TRD stitched into the seat faces thru jhuey - once I get to Arizona will buy them and have him install them 3) Total chaos UCA's 4) Kinda want to get some of the 2016 TRD Sport Rims or the grey TRD wheels the FJ cruiser/4Runners have. 5) BAMF LCA Skids 6) ICON or KING coilover 8) BAMF hidden grill light mounts 9) 20" or 30" LED light by Rigid Industries for behind the Grill. . 10) full leave pack maybe the Deaver 10 leaf set 11) ? Warn m8000 winch- really depends on if I end up doing more off roading 12) Possibly a console vault, not entirely convinced those are as secure as they would have you believe.
    Hey everyone,
    Quick question that I'm not sure can be answered without more information but just incase.

I am looking at doing the following. Putting a Winch/Winch Mount/~2" lift on my 2014 DCSB Taco. The question I have is not so much what manuf. do I go with but more the order in which to get/place the various items. Would you do the lift after you got the winch/winch tray to see how the extra front weight adds up and effects the truck or is doing the lift first usually ok then doing the winch/winch tray second ok? I have no preference on which one to do first just want to get some opinions.

For those needing more information here's my best shot:
    About the only thing I am sure about is the winch which would be a Warn M8000 likely with a synthetic line (still doing research on the whole steel vs synthetic line).

I'm looking at several different winch mounting systems everything from the Pelfrybuilt Hidden Winch mount to the US Off Road bumper Winch mount. I know I don't want to replace my full bumper but I really like the US Off Road because it has the two recovery points and keeps the main bumper intact Open to other options, it's not set in stone.

The lift I'm not sure about yet. But the ICON's keep catching my eye, like the stage 3's. And several of Toytec's offerings. I would likely do a Coilover.

Thanks so much for your help with my question.

2. Nov 16, 2015 at 6:56 AM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    3 inch lift with Toytec Boss and All Pro UCA's up front. AP expedition leafs with Bilstien 5100 shocks in the back. 255/85/16 Cooper S/T Max tires. All Pro skids, rear bumper and sliders, Hidden winch mount with XRC 8000 winch. Dual Optima batteries with IBS combiner/isolator and solar. CMC. Auto sliding rear window mod, hidden CB, CVJ axles and plenty of other little mods.
    I'm with you. I wanted a winch but didn't want to go for a full plate bumper. I chose an Undercover Hidden Winch Mount. Like it mainly because it mounts the winch a couple inches higher than either Pelfry or US Offroad. Its not a lot, but if you've ever stuffed the front of the truck in the mud, sand, under water, or up against a rock...higher helps. I really hate digging holes. They have recovery points if you want them.
    Anyway, I've used my winch several times and the mount performed fine, installation of any of them is a tedious PIA, so fairly equal there. Good Luck!

EDDO likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    As of 11/4/15 1) Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod 2) ND4SPDBP's Fog Light Mod 3) Devil Horn Emblem 4) Weathertech Digital Floor Liners 5) ADD W-1 Vers 2 Baffled Oil Catch Can- constantly surprised at how much oil this thing captures 6) Weatherproof Under the rail LED bedlights Warm White (by Mattgecko) with hidden small cubby switch 7) Sliding Window Security Bar 8) Hood Lighting Kit Warm White /Pro Kit (by BeeRad) 9) Morimoto mini D2S retrofit HID lights w/ 55W ballasts and XB 5000k bulbs from TRS- one of the best modifications I have ever made, blows the stock lights out of the water 10) ImMrYo bracket 11) Scangauge II 12) Autodimming mirror w/ Compass/Temperature/Homelink 13) Bedrug Mat and Tailgate rug. 14) Pop n Lock Power tailgate lock w/ bolt coded to factory key. 15) Map Light w/ Door Mod 16) BakFlip HD Tonneau Cover 17) 35% Front windows ceramic tint - a very good match to factory 19) Gerber machete, because every truck needs a machete 20) Various flashlights, really love my Black Diamond Miner Mole Headlamp 21) AFE Pro Dry drop in filter 22) removed secondary charcoal air filter 23) Back up light Mod- I used the light bulb as found on page 14, 35W from Lowes. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/886-backup-light-mod.209578/page-14 24) Hi-Lift Off Road Recovery Kit- thank you TW Secret Santa 25) Tailgate Seal 26 interior footwell/rear seat dome light controlled LEDS https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/footwell-and-rear-seat-led-light-dome-switched-mod-lots-of-pics.409428/#post-11529460 27) pelfrybilt aluminum front skid 28) morimoto XB fog lights 29) mob town front recovery bar with 2 Smitty bilt D-Rings 30) 48" Extreme Hi-Lift Jacks w/ ATO rail mounts 31) Prinsu rack 32) Rigid D2 Ditch lights 33) 40" Heretic LED bar on Prinsu Rack 34) Kawell x 6 side lights 2 spot and 1 wide per side 35) Rigid SRQ2 x 2 rear facing asshole/backup lights 36) NSA switch panel to 150amp bussman fuse on custom made mount 37) 267/70/17 BFG KO2's in C rating Pending installation 1) Rock Lights Upcoming/Possible Mods 1) Katzkin Leather Seats in black/ice grey (supposedly better factory match for the 2014) w/ Degreeze heater/cooling and TRD stitched into the seat faces thru jhuey - once I get to Arizona will buy them and have him install them 3) Total chaos UCA's 4) Kinda want to get some of the 2016 TRD Sport Rims or the grey TRD wheels the FJ cruiser/4Runners have. 5) BAMF LCA Skids 6) ICON or KING coilover 8) BAMF hidden grill light mounts 9) 20" or 30" LED light by Rigid Industries for behind the Grill. . 10) full leave pack maybe the Deaver 10 leaf set 11) ? Warn m8000 winch- really depends on if I end up doing more off roading 12) Possibly a console vault, not entirely convinced those are as secure as they would have you believe.
    Ohh yes I like that! I'm curious did you do you winch/winch tray first or did you do your lift first?

4. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    If you do get a winch I recommend spending a little extra and getting the synthetic line. It is safer and a ton lighter.

5. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I'd recommend looking at the Mobtown Offroad front hitch with recovery points as an option. I love having my winch on a removable tray. I can use it on the back of the truck when needed too. Warn makes quick connect wiring kits for front and rear.

JohnNP[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ohh that looks super interesting!!!!!! Thanks man! My biggest thing is wanting good recovery points I plan on getting a high lift jack that I could always use as a come along Dan you're making me think. I could easily hook a winch tray to that front receiver point.

7. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Most of the year, my winch is either in the bed of the truck or not in the truck at all. Why carry the weight (at least up front) if you don't need to. I've been stuck nose-in, where I just grabbed the winch from the bed, hooked it up to the rear hitch, and pulled myself out.

8. Nov 16, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    That is pretty neat. Man you're really making me think about my winch/winch tray needs now. Kinda nice to be able to just be able to move it to where you need it front or back. Hrmmmmmm. How much does your winch/tray combo weight? How do you secure it in the bed of your truck do you have some mount so it doesn't get all shuffled around while wheeling in the woods?

9. Nov 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    3 inch lift with Toytec Boss and All Pro UCA's up front. AP expedition leafs with Bilstien 5100 shocks in the back. 255/85/16 Cooper S/T Max tires. All Pro skids, rear bumper and sliders, Hidden winch mount with XRC 8000 winch. Dual Optima batteries with IBS combiner/isolator and solar. CMC. Auto sliding rear window mod, hidden CB, CVJ axles and plenty of other little mods.

The lift came first.
    Another reason I went this route is that mount, winch, and line only added 102 lbs to the front of the truck.

10. Nov 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Lift first then @usoffroad bumper with M8000s (synthetic).

11. Nov 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ohh thats not bad at all!!! Do you have any issues with getting to the parts of the Winch that you may need to with it being up higher and more closed off than the @usoffroad one which looks like it's pretty open and easy to get at. I like that you can mount lights to it fairly easily like @EDDO 's

I know @58 Siesta uses a winch receiver mount with the @Mobtown Offload mount which is also really nice looking I like the minimalist look and the apparent easy going from front to back with the winch as long as you yourself carry it. Have you found that you wish your winch was moveable to the front or the back?

Yeah I like the @usoffroad winch bumpers they are very nice, no doubt. Were your lights easy to mount to the steel plate does it come pre drilled or was that an after the fact modification? Have you found that it is to may be too low as another user pointed out having never used one or gotten stuck in the mud I wouldn't' have even of thought of that.

With your lift, did you wish you had waited to do your lift till after you put in your Winch/Bumper to see the drop to know how much to correct it or to change springs to a higher lb rating?

12. Nov 16, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Mounting tabs are part of the bumper design so these lights mounted up no problem. Icon coil-overs (and Fox, King, etc.) are height adjustable in-place. Crank them, re-align, done. So far, I'm good with the 650 lb. springs.
    Sink the truck to the point that the winch fairlead is buried? That could ruin your whole afternoon and make you late for dinner.

JohnNP[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what the weight is. I have the steel rope because I frequently need to use it for work, so it's on the heavy side. When the winch is in the back of my truck, it just sits back there with all of my other gear.

I have a divider so stuff can't move too far when bouncing up hills.

14. Nov 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    I know @58 Siesta uses a winch receiver mount with the @Mobtown Offload mount which is also really nice looking I like the minimalist look and the apparent easy going from front to back with the winch as long as you yourself carry it. Have you found that you wish your winch was moveable to the front or the back?

Guess you're just gonna have to make a decision about what works for you. They're all good products and thinking too much will make you crazy. I've worried about being out solo and needing to be pulled out from behind, but in over 20 years of experience (maybe just dumb luck) its never been required. I follow the rule - don't get yourself into something that you can't get out of. Receiver hitch style mounts are great but for me they don't work so well because I often go on multi-day (multi-week) trips where the truck is really loaded. If space is a premium they're a little more difficult.

JohnNP[OP] and EDDO like this.
  15. Nov 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    The winch can live up front if bed space is an issue. I do a couple week long trips each year, so the winch stays up front for those. In fact, it's up there for months at a time since I use it for my tree service on a regular basis. It's in back for much of the winter when I won't need it regularly - and my needs could really vary depending on what situation I find myself in, intentional or otherwise.

JohnNP[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 18, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:

Pretty sure I've already driven myself crazy. Between trying to figure out the lift to this so many damn choices!!! Trying to figure out my future needs over the next ten years lol. Ughhhhh. You all have been super helpful though I really appreciate the advice and words of wisdom :)

17. Nov 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    Tacozilla

Tacozilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM
    Question if all of you dont mind, sorry for high jacking thread. I have been thinking about getting a winch. Really like the undercover hidden mount or the us off road. I do not want to lift my truck. Would the stock springs (coils) be ok or should I see about a stiffer spring (coil)...
    thanks

18. Nov 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    JohnNP[OP] likes this.
  19. Nov 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:

Thanks so much for the links and info. I was going to go with the US OFF ROAD or the hidden winch mount but your product seems to be much better suited to my desires and needs. Very very versatile. I am really looking forward to the Black Friday sales and to getting one of these bad boys. I know some others have asked about mounting light bars on your product but that the hitch was in the way have you been able to figure out how to mount like two 10" bars or some other lighting product in the remaining spaces not taken up?

20. Nov 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    Perhaps you can answer this question as well Joe @jowybyo does your product work with the avid lightbar for 2014 Tacoma I know that the male portion on the winch cradle with a winch would need to be longer to accommodate the Avid products horizonal clearance from the truck but other than that will they fit??

Products Discussed in

To Top