1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windoor sliders on a shell for DC V-bed?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by dta, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    dta

dta [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So I would love to hear from any double cab very short bed (60 inch) owners out there with camper shells that have sliding windoors.

After spending a bunch of time here seraching old post I finally decided to order an ARE CX with the "outdoorsman" windoors, i.e. the windoors with built in sliders. I was told by the dealer (a couple of days after they took the order and a deposit) that ARE does not make that option for 5 foot beds. I am pretty sure that isn't true since I think I am looking at one on hosiertaco's truck right here (post 215):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/13598-show-me-your-shell-11.html#post915927

Can anyone confirm?

Thoughts on what to do: try another dealer? order from another manufacture?

Thanks.

2. May 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Talk to ARE yourself and get them to contact the dealer. This is probably just the dealer giving you the run around, and trying to be lazy.

3. May 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    dta

dta [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'll definitely give that a shot.

I would love to enter the conversation fully armed though. If anyone can confirm that they have these on a ARE shell and if so which model and what year they bought it I would love to know it.

4. Jan 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    soonenough

soonenough Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCSB 4x4 TRD
    ARB front bumper, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper w/ swingout, full OME suspension, Trail Teams FJ wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper S/T Maxx, Leer 100R, OPOR sliders, Warn M8000-S, Yaesu FT-7800R dual-band ham radio, Midland 75-822 CB radio
    I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I thought I'd post some updated info in case someone else runs across this thread looking for answers to this same question. The OP was trying to find out whether or not vented windoors are available on the ARE campers for a DCSB. I asked my local ARE dealer over the weekend, and he didn't know, but he got back to me today with answers.

For a DCSB, apparently you can get the vented/sliding windoors only in the V-series, not the CX-series; only solid windoors are available in the CX-series, even though the CX is a step up from the V-series. This has to do with the differences in the way that the windows are mounted on the CX- vs the V-series. If you look at a V-series shell, you'll notice that the windows are mounted on the surface of the shell, whereas in the CX-series, the windows are mounted to a recessed area on the side of the shell for a cleaner look. Apparently this means that the windows are actually shorter front-to-back on the CX-series, and they don't offer a vented windoor that short, only a solid windoor.

Another piece of info that he told me for those trying to compare options from ARE - if you look at pictures of ARE V- and CX-series campers online, you notice that in some older models, the black bed caps hang below the bottom of the shell (as shown in the pic below). In the last few years, they updated the mold for the CX to cover the bed caps, and apparently they've just now done the same thing for the V-series. So if you buy a new CX- or V-series from ARE, you won't see the black strip below the bottom edge of the shell anymore.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this info helps others who might be trying to find the anwser to this same question, since two of my local dealers didn't know the answer and had to contact ARE.

Products Discussed in

To Top