1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield creaking/rattling

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by caterpilllartacoma, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    caterpilllartacoma

caterpilllartacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    working on it
    This might be a stretch, but want to see if anyone has had this same issue before.

My windshield got cracked about a month ago now, had safelite come out and replace it. Within 3 days, the new windshield starting creaking/rattling. Called them right away, came out and replaced it again for free.

Now, it's doing the same thing about 2 weeks after getting replaced for a second time.

Has anyone had this issue with safelite or windshields in general? Just trying to find something quick and easy that might fix it before having them come out again and again before the finally get it right.

And it does it more in the cold, if I blast the heat on the window for about 20-30 min, it tends to help quiet it down.

2. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    There have been others noting problems with the quality of Safelite. Something about not enough sealer.

3. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    caterpilllartacoma

Member:
    Denver, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    working on it
    Do you know they just kept getting it re done until it was right, or did they figure something else out that might help?

4. Dec 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Iamraiderpower

Iamraiderpower Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ask your local dealer who they use

5. Dec 10, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    could it be its not from the windshield?

I noticed I had a creaking sound when going over bumps mainly when truck is cold. Located it to what I think are tweeters on the dash? Has a vent like its a tweeter or something haven't opened it. same spot where the light sensor is for auto lights on the passenger side.

Thats where my creak was coming from.
    I pushed on it thinking maybe it was loose. Heard a click and now it shut up lol.

6. Dec 10, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    caterpilllartacoma

Member:
    Denver, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    working on it
    I've heard about that also, looked at that and that was fine, I can hear right at the top of the windshield right around the rear view mirror and go pro mount.

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 10, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    It was in a post from last month, I don’t know how to link to it but if search Safelite you’ll find it.

8. Dec 10, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    Roland79

Roland79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCLB Black
    I had this same thing, I had a rattling creaking noise right after I had safelite put a windshield in. Someone on here told me it could be some plate where a sensor should be, underneath the speaker cover. (I forget what sensor it should be, some adaptive cruise control maybe? Something I don’t have, but it’s the piece that replaces the sensor if you don’t have the option)

Or it could be the interior post cover, between the windshield and window. I guess this piece could get bumped during installation. I played around with the post piece and it stopped it. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Edit: here’s the thread, it’s a light sensor for auto dimming headlights. I don’t think 2017 has the adaptive cruise control? Lol. Too much to keep track of. Also it could be your speaker grill, there’s a link to a video in this thread. Anyways it was The A post cover making the noise on mine.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/trdor-dash-rattle.520313/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  9. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    nachotruck

nachotruck Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Silver
    I recently had my windshield replaced by Safelite and have had an intermittent tapping/creaking sound on my windshield at the top passenger side corner. I was able to stop it by pushing on the outside of the windshield (wife was driving). I also noticed there is a visible distortion in the windshield around the same spot. Of course Safelite has been unhelpful. It took multiple phone calls to get them to come out to "fix" it. When they get there, they say they won't do anything without me driving them around and proving the windshield is making the noise. The tech said Safelite tells them to do everything they can to keep from replacing the windshield and that most of the time sounds are coming from something else. I didn't feel like wasting my time further as I'm sure he would be unable to hear anything. So much for standing by your work. Will be using a different company next time and paying extra for OEM glass.

Products Discussed in

To Top