1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter Driving - When to use 4X4?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFZ, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    AFZ

AFZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    I'll be honest, I'm still new to 4X4s, so I just want to make sure I don't blow up my transfer case.

Two schools of thought I'm being told are -

If the rear wheels will spin, put in in 4-High.

and the polar opposite -

Never use 4X4 on the road, it's to get your out of the ditch you just slid into.

Roads today are super slick - a blip of the throttle will send the rear swinging out and everyone is spinning at stop signs.

[​IMG]

2. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Use it all the time when the roads are slippery, it wont hurt anything.

3. Dec 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    AFZ

AFZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
  4. Dec 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    My wife and I drove from Pittsburgh PA to Richmond VA on the 26th. The snow/ice was thick enough on the highways that you couldn't see the pavement at all. I drove about 150 miles in 4hi until I started seeing patches of pavement south of Winchester VA, then switched back to 2wd. I didn't experience any driveline binding whatsoever, and the truck is no worse for the wear. That was the first time for me using 4wd for such an extended distance, and I was very conscious of the condition of the road surface the entire time.

You cited two vantage points that are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but I think that using logic and knowledge of how your drivetrain works will land you somewhere in between. If there's a chance that you'll experience driveline binding (i.e. if your tires can get traction >50% of the time), don't use 4wd. If not, then use it, it's better than ending up on the side of the road with damage to your truck.

5. Dec 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Hey. I drive on a lot of winter roads in personal and work vehicles. The biggest benefit of 4wd for a truck (in my opinion) is to keep you from losing your back end traction on turns and accelerating up hills.

Use the 4wd if you are on bad roads and want the extra traction. If the roads are so much as wet you're not likely to hurt anything. (I wouldn't be turning super tight though).

I have spoken with many people who have ditched their 4wd trucks because they were in 2wd. You paid for the added security of 4wd. Use it!

Remember though... 4wd doesn't help you stop. (unless you are gearing down yadda yadda yadda)

And don't feel like you need to crawl in 4wd. You're fine doing 50 on the highway. Weather should dictate speed more so than the transfer case.

6. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    rawdog

rawdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    I'm pretty sure that if you live in a place where there is snow all winter long you could have it engaged all winter. If you think about what is actually going on.. it should be fine, especially if the roads are slippery, the truck will move the tires on the slick road to avoid binding before metal bends.

If you are nervous about driving in the snow.. go ahead and use 4wd, thats what its there for.. then just turn it off when the asphalt

7. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    If your drive tires are slipping, you need to be in 4WD.

On roads like you show I'll keep it in 4WD. If conditions seem to be improving, just slide a little bit to the left or right so you get one set of tires off the clear pavement into the snow every now and then to remove any chance of binding. Switch back to 2WD right when you pull into somewhere to park with clear pavement.

8. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    rojohnson

rojohnson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kaysville, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I use it in those condition for better control, just don't allow yourself to get over confident. 4X4 still can't stop any better than anyone else. I never use it on dry paved roads only on dirt/gravel. I belive the book says to excercise the every couple of months to keep the fluids active.

9. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    In the situation shown above it's dealers choice. If I slip a lot and feathering the pedal doesn't get me going I'll switch it into 4-hi and usually stay there. I did that today and kept it there for about 30 miles driving around the area. I even found a spot where I could switch to 4-lo and engage the locker for a mile or so. Handles great with the locker, 4-lo and a heavy foot.

10. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    middiedefense

middiedefense like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    GA, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab. V6, 6spd, sr5, 4x4, OME 3" kit
    OME 3" Complete kit, TRD O/R Wheels (rattle can flat black), Black Badges, Ultra Gauge
    I drove through a storm in 09'. Hit it around Richmond VA all the way to my home town in MD which is about 200 miles. Put in in 4 Hi once the snow was building up the road, made it just fine though it took a couple hrs longer than normal. Have not experienced any problems yet.

11. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Definitely would use it in those conditions!

12. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    When it snows

13. Dec 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you think it's slick use it that's why you bought 4X4 it will not damage it.

14. Dec 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    rawdog

rawdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    boom

15. Dec 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I use mine when it is under 32 degrees, snowing, and when you can definitely tell there is ice. 4x4 is okay to use on roads, which I do. Just don't go real fast with 4x4 engaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top