1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2016-2017 DIY Remote Start

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nickj718, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Dec 15, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    nickj718

nickj718 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    As some of you know recently I developed a DIY style remote start kit for our 3rd generation tacomas that are equipped with the push to start feature.myself and a vendor here KB Voodoo have teamed up to offer the best kit possible at a affordable price. In the previous thread the information on the system was scattered all over making it tough to understand and sometimes hard to follow along. For that reason I'd like to take the time to introduce myself and go over the system so it's easy to understand it's features, labor involved, and its draw backs.

Myself:
    I have been in the automotive industry for a total of 11 years. Six of those years I worked as a Toyota tech doing maintenance work and all of that dealerships TRD work which ranged from exhaust tips to superchargers. After that I spent 5 years working at a custom shop installing anything and everything car related. This is where my knowledge and background in remote starts all came from. I am a advanced MECP installer and have other certs in electronics. I bought my truck in September and joined this forum the next day. It's helped me a lot so that's what made me do this whole thing.

The system:
    The remote start system we are using is a DEI product. This is the leader in remote start / immobilizer bypasses. They are the dealers first choice as well as mine.

The system requires the you to tap a total of 11 wires for the tacomas equipped with auto lights and a total of 9 for those of you (like myself) who don't. It can be installed in a hour and a half or less. The system uses the factory remote to start and stop the vehicle by continuously hitting the lock button 3 times. So no extra remotes on your key chain! The price for the kit is $129.99 and is only offered by KB Voodoo fabrications. The kit can be found here
    http://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/remote-start-kit-for-toyota-tacoma-2016-2017-preorder

The features:
    • 20 minute run time
    • Taps only 9 to 11 wires
    • Uses factory remote to start the vehicle
    • Uses factory remote to stop the vehicle
    • Can have a range extender added along with a 1 mile range remote
    • Can have a smart start unit added to use your phone start the vehicle anywhere
    • Runs your heat or a/c setting while running
    • Bypasses your factory locks while in use allowing your remote to remain working while running along with your door handle sensor while the vehicle is running.
    • Turns in the parking lights letting you visually know the vehicle received the start command and is running.

What's involved:
    Interior panel removal
    The installation requires the removal of 4 interior pieces. These pieces include the door runner, kick plate, knee pad, and the bottom of the steering column cover. Once those are out of the way, it's nice and open to preform your install.

Wiring:
    I have installed this in my vehicle as well as 5 other tacomas in the area. Hours or wire testing have gone into this to create the directions and find the easiest locations of the wires to be tapped. My directions are extremely detailed. They have all of the plug locations, wire pin locations, wire colors, and even photos to give you the confidence to get the install done.

Reassemble !

The whole install takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours total from start to finish.

The draw backs:
    Due to pre-set Toyota settings the vehicle will die when any door is open. This requires you to restart the vehicle once inside. This can not be changed no matter what. It stinks but at least your truck is warm!

What's in the box:
    • Remote start unit
    • Wire harness that is loomed to look factory
    • 3m quick connectors
    • Grounding terminal with self taping screw
    • Zip ties
    • Printed detailed instructions which include photos
    • KB Voodoo decals

We have a operational video here
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVt3OU66fEk

What's involved video here
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nWCX6QY1Ms

And a couple reviews here
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/detailed-review-nickjs-kbvoodoos-remote-start-kit.465105/
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/kb-voodoo-remote-start-review.464480/

I hope this new thread makes it easier for people to understand and see what the kit offers and what's involved. I hope I have helped you guys save a couple hundred dollars as well because that was my whole goal. As always if you have any questions about anything ask and I'll try to respond in a timely manner. Thanks guys!

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 8.18.02 AM.jpg IMG_8174.jpg IMG_8175.jpg IMG_8160.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Ch78, venezian, daddy_o and 8 others like this.
  2. Dec 16, 2016 at 5:38 AM
    winston50

winston50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WOW Nice write up. Thanks for including my review as well. Im very happy with my remote start and have had no issues with it what so ever. Thanks for putting this together once again! You did infect save me about $280.00 from a local install shop and $370.00 from the dealer. They quoted me a steep $500.00 bucks :(

By the way whats MECP?

KB Voodoo likes this.
  3. Dec 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM
    RIDERED67

RIDERED67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD QUICKSAND, DCLB, TECH
    Nice dude! At the end of your YouTube video you referenced KB voodoo but your talk to text came up as Katie something or other. Might make a difference if your trying to advertise (not sure if you even care)

4. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    LOL oh brother. Some smart technology not being to smart again! Thanks for the heads up.

5. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    13mgm4X4

13mgm4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just ordered my kit from KB Voodoo. Do you have any instructions for hooking up the smart start? I ordered that as well and want to install at the same time.

6. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    nice write up! maybe add KB Voodoo to the title too :thumbsup:

@KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo likes this.
  7. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:46 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Oh man your gonna love the smart start.

Here are the instructions. The Smart Start comes with directions as well on how to sync everything and get it going.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 8.44.25 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 8.44.43 AM.jpg

8. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:46 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
  9. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
  10. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:48 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Here are the instructions. The Smart Start comes with directions as well on how to sync everything and get it going.

11. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    Spare Parts and Trident904 like this.
  12. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
  13. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    @nickj718 @KB Voodoo
    I have one loaeder in my cart and ready to hit submit. Are there units ready to ship? Asking so I know if it's worth while paying for expedited shipping.

Also will be ordering the RF module XL202-RFTD from Amazon as I want the increased rang. What 2 way remote has the best range. Is there programming required when I add the two way remote model and remotes? Will the OEM fob still work for short range starts?

Thanks Glenn

14. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:35 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    We have a pretty good shipping backlog right now, so just select Priority Mail.

@nickj718 Can answer your questions about the RF module.

15. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    winston50

Member:
    Well I know for me it was about convince. I looked around and though do I really want to try to attack this on my own? The answer was no. Im not about to mess with something I have never done before I just didn't feel comfortable. Ill also say that even after getting the kit and installing it, if i were to get another Tacoma tomorrow I would still buy the kit from KB Voodoo.

Its about confidence and thats what this kit gave me. Works every time and all the directions are detailed to the t making it a breeze.

I wouldn't expect anyone on this forum to do all of this leg work and offer it for free. Not to mention he posts something up, someone does it wrong ruins their electronics and hes the jerk.

Gonna catch crap either way :crapstorm:

You can do a lot of things on a budget but usually it bites you in the butt at least it usually does for me. @nickj718 and @KB Voodoo have made a solution for people wanting a remote start for a fraction of the cost. As stated above he wanted to help people save a few hundred dollars. Looks to me like he has done that and then some. Its not like he joined just to sell stuff. He posts all over the board and helps countless people with an array of things from this to TRD parts for cheap. To be quite honest I joined this forum because I saw this on his instagram which lead me to this. Since I have been here I have found many answers to questions i have had so for that I'm thankful to you all. Lets try to keep peace though and play nice. If we dont like something keep it in.

arnette64 and KB Voodoo like this.
  16. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    Thanks man!

17. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    Order placed. This is a great deal for those of us that want a kit to install. Knowing it will work and is in our capabilities. I can fabricate but bought rock sliders from All-Pro, why, because the hard work was done, RD&T.

18. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    winston50

Member:
    Really man? If you dont have something nice to say just leave it off

arnette64 likes this.
  19. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    easyrider470

easyrider470 Well-Known Member

Member:
    @nickj718 and @KB Voodoo.....I have a lot of respect for the design of this and the time it takes to put together the posts to ensure accuracy. Thanks for what you did and thanks to the vendor for stepping up and offering his good name as the backbone for supporting this mod and the community. I appreciate what both of you are doing...and keeping a level head answering questions and fielding criticism. Good on ya. Everyone is an armchair DIY, expert fabricator/welder, and trophy winning driver....got love the internet tough guys!

arnette64 and KB Voodoo like this.
  20. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    nickj718

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport

Glenn,

The OEM remote will still operate as design with the XL202 installed.

Programming is needed so the remote communicated with the XL202, however its pretty straight forward and if you were to need any help I can assist you.

As for the remote i would go with this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Vip...3347&sr=8-2&keywords=viper+responder+1+remote

Its pretty small and works from pretty far away. Now this is just a start button so you will have to use your oem remote to unlock the vehicle once you get up to it. If you want another option message me and ill help you out

I believe @winston50 when with this (i should have just copied the email I sent to him) maybe he will chime in to tell you how it went if he ended up doing it.

If you need anything else let me know

KB Voodoo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top