1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2017 O/R Front End Clunk/Noise Help

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by thumpper, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Sep 19, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    thumpper

thumpper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    This is the first time that I've taken my 17 on anything 'off road' and noticed this strange front end clunk occurring. It seemed to occur anytime I would go over a 'water break'. This isn't normal is it??

With all the electrical b.s. not sure anymore. This occurred in both normal 4x4 and 4x4 low unfortunately I didn't try it in 2wd. :( My 2008 never did anything like this and I can feel it in the drivetrain too.

I did search and found this thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...g-to-hear-back-from-corp-toyota.507773/page-2

Here is a 'link' to a quick video I took of the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iINHGynVy04

Once I get back home going to take it into the dealership but now wondering if I should even try Jones Pass.

2. Sep 19, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    Bob_S

Bob_S Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
  3. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    thumpper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    Thanks. Some reason it almost seems like a front axle issue kind of like if you are in 4x4 and it binds on a hard surface. Thats what if feels like to me. I need to possibly try it again in 2wd to eliminate that possibility. See what dealership says when I can get it to them.

4. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    Bob_S

Bob_S Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
    Yeah, that sounds different than what I had. Good luck. Mine was definitely consistent only over bumps.

5. Sep 22, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    thumpper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    They believe it is possibly the body mount as some other people have experienced. I haven't been able to re-test though unfortunately. Will have to find some area around here that I can try and duplicate it on.

6. Sep 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    ahkouchi

ahkouchi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Big Island Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma
    Front Elka 2.5 non resi with 650lb spring Rear Serviceable 5160's with AAL 265/75/r16 BFG KO2
    I have the same noise! it only happens when i'm off roading and articulate the suspension on my drivers side.... can't figure it out

7. Sep 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    modifiedtaco

modifiedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Tacoma Limited
    Tuff Country 3 inch spacer kit with aal Tuff Counrty 1/4" spacer on LF (for taco lean) Bilstein 5160 rear shocks Bilstein 5100 adj front struts (removed tuff country front spacers) set to 0 lift OME 886 coil springs Front sway bar relocation bracket N-Fab Rock Rails 17x9 -12 Fuel Beast wheels Toyo AT2 285/70/17 tires Led light conversion on all interior lights Morimoto 35w HID kit 5500k OE all weather floor mats OE Tonneau cover OE Door Sill Protectors Bed Mat De badged all factory emblems matte black vinyl tailgate letter and Tacoma emblem on door silver vinyl insert on glove box and door sill protectors OME Carrier Bearing Drop Insain Fab cab mount chop plates Weathtech Rain guards
    Good luck with the noise issue.. I have a similar noise coming from the passenger side front only while off road. Took to dealer and was able to replicate on a road next to dealer that was under construction, they tried telling me the bilstien 5100 strut was bottoming out and that since it was aftermarket and not under warranty that I owed them money for the diagnosis. $112 bucks. The problem was the strut was not bottoming out as the noise only occurs for me while suspension decompresses. After dealing with the dealership shenanigans I reverted truck to stock and took a video of issue still present to dealer. dealer then refused to look at truck since we where no longer able to replicate issue since construction had been finished. They claimed that the problem was not occurring during normal driving operation so it was not a warranty issue. they also claimed I still had to pay the original diagnosis fee. I told them to F off to many times so I think I will no longer go back to this dealer. Apparently the charge was for time attempting to diagnose the issue not the actual B.S diagnosis.. I believe my issue and possibly yours may actually be a cab mount issue. I just haven't had time to check mine yet. I will be ordering the energy suspension kit before next spring. No rush since it doesn't do it on road and I wont be doing any camping or fishing till next spring

8. Sep 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    thumpper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    I'm pretty sure in a couple months they are going to come out with a 'new' design cab mount which will replace the old one via TSB. Once this comes out I'll probably take the truck back in to get the new mount. I never noticed the issue until off road but was able to duplicate it coming into my driveway kind of aggressively in 2wd. ((still need to try and find an area around here to duplicate it))(see if tightening the body mound fixed it)

9. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    modifiedtaco

modifiedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Tacoma Limited
    Tuff Country 3 inch spacer kit with aal Tuff Counrty 1/4" spacer on LF (for taco lean) Bilstein 5160 rear shocks Bilstein 5100 adj front struts (removed tuff country front spacers) set to 0 lift OME 886 coil springs Front sway bar relocation bracket N-Fab Rock Rails 17x9 -12 Fuel Beast wheels Toyo AT2 285/70/17 tires Led light conversion on all interior lights Morimoto 35w HID kit 5500k OE all weather floor mats OE Tonneau cover OE Door Sill Protectors Bed Mat De badged all factory emblems matte black vinyl tailgate letter and Tacoma emblem on door silver vinyl insert on glove box and door sill protectors OME Carrier Bearing Drop Insain Fab cab mount chop plates Weathtech Rain guards
    I have checked the torque on mine and all were tight. I believe the problem is with the metal sleeve or bolt being misaligned. The only way to check is to remove it and visually check. As for a redesign, I don't think that will come any time soon. The cab mounts appear to be the same as 2nd gen models and its a know issue through out 2nd gens. The problem seems to be that for most people the issue isn't present until way after the warranty is up. With the 3rd gens the only info I've found so far all leads to the front mount near the radiator here's a link https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rad-front-body-mounts-shot.440118/

10. Sep 23, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer
    Sounds like sway bar to me, and not thing to worry about. Pull the sway bar and use some form of dry grease on the bushings see if that helps.

IronPeak likes this.
  11. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:44 PM
    .jake

.jake Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Discharged from the Whale’s Vagina into Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    Care to elaborate?

12. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:08 PM
    kenn72

kenn72 Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks + drivers side lean spacer, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and Toytec AAL, LED interior lights, rear diff breather, anti dark under hood LED's, Redline hood struts, Uniden 520 CB, custom "fabricated" removable tool chest, 265/75R16 MTs + full size spare, Body Armor Sport Rack w/ KC HiLites 5" Apollo Pro lights
    Any update on this? I just had a proper lift installed (removed the spacer lift) and it developed after 1,000 miles slowly. definitely noticeable when going from Fwd to Reverse, and tapping the brakes. Or hard turn at slow speed. Loud clunk. The shop that did the lift says that it is the drivers needle bearing and they are doing an ESCG (or is it ECGS?) bushing tomorrow, but I think that is not the case.

13. Oct 27, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    thumpper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    Should have responded to this thread a long time ago. The dealership put in a new cab body mount, the old one when they pulled it out was bad and they said it was prrtty obvious. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the old one and where it went 'bad' at.

daks and Bumble Bee Tuna like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top