1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan Clutch & Transmission Cooler Add-on

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Double Deuce, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mar 2, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    Double Deuce

Double Deuce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Sioux Falls South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 02 TRD
    Can anyone give me some info on the OE Heavy Duty (Green) Fan Clutch that came with the dealer installed Towing Package?

I recently purchased an 02 TRD Limited DC and will be purchasing a small camper this summer. My truck has the hitch but not the cooler, and has the orange clutch fan.

I plan on adding a Hayden cooler, but in regards to the fan clutch, the local dealership told me that there is only 1 fan clutch available and it is the same one that came on my truck. When I talked to them regarding the difference (Orange/Green) they were oblivious and said that the one one available is identical to my current one.

Please enlighten me on if upgrading the fan clutch is a wise move and if so, what is the OEM part number, or comparable aftermarket options.

Not sure what trailer I will be buying so this is simply a preemptive move at this point.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Mar 2, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I can !!

Here you go
    Lets have a peek at what transmission coolers do
    TRANSMISSION COOLERS
    If you do not have a transmission cooler on your truck and you plan to tow or haul heavy loads or you are in heavy stop and go traffic and use 4X4 low a lot , consider purchasing a cooler . The cooler thats built into your rad is designed to cool the transmission with the weight of just the truck by itself .When you are in 4x4 low , your torque converter is usually in the stall stage and creates a tonne of additional heat .You dont have much air flow going through your rad when you are in low range 4x4 .
    160 - 200 are considered normal temps providing your engine radiator is functioning properly . If your engine overheats , your transmission will also overheat
    Normal fluid temperature in transmission to be 175 deg. F.

Rate of oxidation to double for each temperature increase of 20 deg F above normal (175 deg F). As oxidation rate doubles, useful life of fluid is cut in half.

At 175 deg F life is 100,000 miles
    At 195 deg F (20 deg above 175) life is 50k miles
    At 215 life is 25k miles
    At 235 life is 12k
    At 255 life is 6,250
    At 275 life is 3,000
    At 295 life is 1500
    At 315 life is 750

At temperatures much above 300 deg F the metals in the transmission will tend to warp, twist etc. high temperatures causes the formation of varnish deposits which impair or pre vent transmission operation.

At a fluid temperature of 415 deg F fluid life is 30 minutes!

Source: Empire Lubricants Inc.
    Consider a scan guage [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp.../dp/B000AAMY86
    Here is the best information for the scan guage http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-pressure.html

Ultraguage is now offering transmission temps http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/318340-ultragauge-transmission-temp.html

You could also use the Torque app with an Android phone as a cheap alternative to watch your temps http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...d2-reader.html

This is how Low Pressure Drop technology works::
    When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler. As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner, It's then directed through the core where it is cooled. Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube failure with optimal heat transfer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-.../dp/B005XZXB1M
    Long Tru-Cool Oil Coolers offer advanced cooling protection for many towing applications. The advanced technology out performs TUBE & FIN Designs, Delivers up to 15 times less flow restrictions, 30% more cooling delivers maximum heat transfer, Self-Regulating for maximum lube flow protection through start-up, varied temperatures and driving conditions, heavy loads and towing.
    Here is Toyotas fluid flow guide ...Look at page 8 on this PDF http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf
    And here is a guy who recently installed a cooler correctly http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...agram-pic.html

cooler and fan install http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...n-install.html

HERE is the Tacoma World Towing Bible https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-tacoma-towing-bible.4031/

Timmah!, jammer and cruiserguy like this.
  3. Mar 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    Double Deuce

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Sioux Falls South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 02 TRD
    Thank you for the response GC.
    Unfortunately I had already looked through most of these threads and completed a search and still cannot locate the toyota part number for the "Green Fan Clutch" It is possible I overlooked it. Again the local shop is telling it no such thing exists even though I know it does-or at least did. I have the Orange Fan Clutch but want to know if the green OE Fan Clutch is still available and if so what is the part number, and then lastly is it worth the change/upgrade

I will be adding a tranny cooler and purchasing a SCAN Gauge, just not sure on the Fan Clutch at this point.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Mar 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    After I posted my first message to you , I thought about the fan clutch . There is a huge post on here somewhere all about fan clutches but I couldnt find it . When you do a search at Tacoma World , its best if you use the google search option . The problem with doing a search at google is you have to rely on how the original thread was started . I typed in fan clutch and nothing good came up .
    There are hundreds of posts at You Tube regarding a fan clutch overhaul .
    Looks fairly simple if it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhKr5usjaA

Double Deuce[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    Double Deuce

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Sioux Falls South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 02 TRD
    Thanks...I will go that route and see if I can find anything

6. Mar 4, 2017 at 7:36 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    The green HD clutch came on many 1st gens, with or without a hitch. It was not until the last few years (03ish) that Toyota recommended using the HD clutch for towing.

OE pt# below
    FANCLUTCH3_zpsiyncxmpy_bb60a478da4aea2df381a1cbdd7398d002a435b9.jpg

Aisin aftermarket catalog. Aisin pt# FTC-013
    http://partcat.com/aisin

Amazon price.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=08921-04950

Also not only is it possible to "service" the clutch but they can be tuned.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. Mar 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am curious about this fan clutch also... I have also heard that there is a "middle east" fan blade assembly. I was told that there was an overheating problem in the toyotas until the higher pitched blade and clutch assembly was installed. I tried googling this but no "real" answers came up.

I did find some answers but not that just brings up more questions.

If there is a factory "tow package" installed there is a higher pitched fan with a HD fluid coupling and additonal coolers for trans/engine. Gen 1's like mine were never offered with a factory tow package so I am researching

1: will a Gen2 tow package fan fit my fluid coupling.
    2. will a Gen2 fluid coupling fit my Gen1 3.4?
    3. Where to get a reasonable Gen1 3.4 engine oil cooler and how does it install.

if anyone has done any or all of this, please reply.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    cruiserguy likes this.
  8. Mar 17, 2017 at 11:12 PM
    Glamisman

Member:
    I broke out the pressure washer to clean the engine / engine bay, valve cover leaks, half moon seals leak... what a mess. Now that I can see my "new to me" 1996 4 X 4 indeed does have the "green" fluid coupling and the factory oil cooler installed. I added an additional trans cooler.

In the mean time the 2002 4 door Tacoma Prerunner "basket case" was delivered. The D/S cam pulley was sheared off at the end of the camshaft... there was less than 2 cups of oil drained from the pan... they literarily drove until it stopped, the auto trans fluid looks like root beer... mechanically she is pretty rough but with some time and dollars she will be on the road in a bit. I am taking pictures as I go and have yet to decide if I want to post the "resurection" pictures and do a build thread. I already know I am going to be upside down of this one but I have 2 potential buyers sniffing around and they didnt even hesitate at my inital estimate of having between 4k and 5k in her before I am done.

cruiserguy likes this.
  9. Mar 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Awesome man. I enjoy your reading your posts and your knowledge and experience shines through. Please keep us updated as you go along your rebuild. I'd love to see the process of a rebuild of a Tacoma that's in as bad a shape as you've described. Sounds like you'll be having fun for a while with that beast.

10. Apr 12, 2017 at 12:22 AM
    Glamisman

Member:
    I just picked up the 96 4 X 4 automatic from my trans shop. I had them put a shift kit in it and service her... Not that the shifts before were crap but afterward, damn, crisp, very crisp shifts even with 175k on the odo.

Ritchie likes this.
  11. Apr 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    So the Long Tru-cool that you Linked better then the Hayden one? How much more ATF would you need to add if I was to use that cooler?

12. Apr 13, 2017 at 4:37 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    What Hayden cooler are you referring to ?
    In the past couple years , I believe Hayden adopted the same LPD technology that Long true cool has used for many many years .
    If you are adding a trans cooler and your transmission is already filled , you shouldn't need more than a quart to fill the extra cooling lines and the cooler

chowwwww[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Was looking at the Hayden 678. Would you recommend running the LPD as a stand alone or still run it in line after the stock trans cooler.

14. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Transmissions are designed to operate at approx 170 degrees .
    When you first start your truck in the morning , the transmission uses the heat provided by the engine to warm the transmission .
    This results in better fuel economy as well as improved transmission shifting .
    With this said , I will always recommend using the factory in line radiator and then place the cooler after the original rad .
    There are exceptions to this rule mind you . The strawberry Milkshake effect , a former transmission failure causing the internal rad cooler to plug up or you simply live in an extremely warm area

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    chowwwww likes this.
  15. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Thanks! Read that the strawberry milkshake was mainly in 4runners. My radiator is about 1 year old so hopefullyi wont have any rotting issues. I will run it in line after the factory.

gearcruncher[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    1HItaco

1HItaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    What exactly is the difference between the green and orange clutch. my truck has trd with factory tow package and came with orange clutch.

what is different between the green and orange?

17. Apr 17, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    Glamisman

Member:
    it is my understanding that the green clucth applies sooner.

18. Apr 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    Green - HD clutch fan with tow package

Orange- stock fan

19. Apr 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Engages sooner/longer would be my best guess. Never seen any firm evidence of any actual specifications.

My 99 V6 TRD extracab man trans came with the green clutch and no hitch.
    It seems like with the later 02?, 03, 04's Toyota started to associate the green specifically with towing.

If anyone has a build sheet/window sticker listing a factory "tow package" I would like to see it.
    Not a Dealer or Regional Distribution Center installed "accessory" hitch kit.

20. Apr 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Timmah!

Timmah! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
To Top