1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally getting around to installing 5100s (by myself), any advice?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SlurpeeBlueMetallic, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic [OP] FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    My buddy who was going to help me wienie'd out and this is my only available weekend for at least a next month. So I'm researching just getting this done on my own... any advice?

I'm post-TSB for rear leaf springs and they've settled a little bit (carried a few heavy loads in the meantime) so I'll be setting the fronts to 0.85. That should leave me with a slight rake but level out better when we're towing our camper around.

I have a local shop who will disassemble the strut to insert the 5100s.... all I have to do is remove/re-add them.

I've read this, this and this. From what I can tell, getting the strut out/in is a chore unless you have someone else pushing/standing on the LCA. I'll have to make do with a pry bar and ingenuity, I guess. :D

I can rebuild it... I have the technology :cool:

2. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    This is my weekend too! I'm also installing by myself, but I've read up enough about it on here to feel like I'm not alone.

I jacked the front end of the truck up 2 hrs before dark tonight to give myself a head start tomorrow, and I had both sides out before sunset. I was most nervous about the upper ball joint coming out of the spindle, since I have a 4 year old truck and live in the rust belt - but neither side needed more than 4 decent hits with a hammer and popped right out, without anybody standing on the LCA.

Looks like I'll get the coils compressed and shocks swapped first thing in the morning at the shop, and hopefully find someplace to line it up before lunch!

Don't sweat the install.....as long as you've done your reading on here you'll have no problem doing it yourself.

-Nate

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    AlphaGeek

AlphaGeek Member

Member:
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Silver Doublecab Ltd/TRD w/shell
    Boss 10" sub under driver's seat, JVC KR-W810 DDin stereo, XM XpressR tuner, iPhone cradle on dash, DC accessory outlets rewired for full-time power, 2kW inverter hardwired and mounted behind back seats, articulating camera mount hard-mounted to top of dash, ToyTec Ultimate kit w/Dakar rears on order
    I've done the front suspension remove/reinstall bit by myself twice now. Getting the coilovers out of the front isn't too bad -- getting them back in by yourself can be a real bear. If you don't have a helper (and all you really need is someone of adult size and weight for 5 minutes per side to push down the LCAs) then the next-best thing is a long prybar that you can sit/press on with your lower body while you maneuver the coilover into position and slide the bolt home. Not ideal, but it's doable if you have no other options.

It helps quite a bit to disconnect the sway bar during the reinstall procedure, that way you're not fighting the sway bar *and* the bushings in the LCA.

-AG

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    ^^

That's my basic plan (long bar that I can lean against)... we'll see how it goes.

I worked out a deal with a local shop to do both the shock install and follow-up alignment for a good price on Saturday so hopefully I'll be set by Sunday.

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Don't forget your favorite cold beverages.

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Snowmang

Snowmang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    09 grey sport
    Exhaust billy 5100's smoked headlights and taillights.
    You have a sport correct? You will need a spring compressor and a lotta work.. ahaha

7. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    definitely tougher than I thought. needed a balljoint separator and didn't have one. I used the factory bottle jack upside down sitting on the brake caliper with a block of wood pressed up into the wheel well to push the lca down to get assembly in and out. Don't recommend this by the way for fear of personal injury or damage to caliper. The ride is nice and no obvious alignment or steering/alignment issues at 1.75". I'll take it to have alignment checked anyway of course. sitting within 1/4" of level with the nonTSB factory rear set-up.

8. Aug 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    wow, glad I didn't have to go through any of that. I guess I have enough "ballast" to lean my chest against the rotor to press it far enough out of the way. :rolleyes: '

Good to hear you got it done, though!

Products Discussed in

To Top