1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement Qs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CUtacomaTIGER, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER [OP] Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    For 4wd model. So i've read through many threads on here and other sites about the process and feel I know what to do for the most part, but here are a few questions i'm not 100% on.

I'll refer to the attachments and websites in the Q's.

1.) - "Front Axle 4wd" shows the inner and outer oil seal as well as the snap ring need to be replaced b/c non-reusable. Anyone know the part #'s? Is snap ring replacement necessary? I haven't read about it being replaced just the seals. Probably cheap so why not I suppose. Any good/cheap places to buy? Also there is only a O-Ring for second gens not 1st? As taco 93 has a 2nd (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/153775-wheel-bearings-changed-pictures.html) What type of grease to use to put on seals before install?

2.) - To get to the inner seal I'll have to swing out the steering/swindle knuckle by removing the 4 bolts that connect to the lower control arm. But do I also have to remove the sway bar link connecting sway bar to knuckle? When tigerfan was replacing his CV axle (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/21192-how-change-cv-axle-01-04-add-tacoma.html) & also (http://www.atarmor.com/writeups/cvwriteup.htm) he didn't mess with sway bar link as far as i could tell but i also didn't even see his say bar in the pics

3.) - When replacing four bolts that connect lover control arm and ball joint to knuckle. 4x4wire last pic at bottom (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/) recommends thread lock. A must do?

4.) - Lastly the bearings get pressed into the whee/axle hub not the steering knuckle right? but the attached pdfs "Front Axle Dis-assembly and Re-assembly" make it seem like the bearing are pressed into the knuckle?

Attached Files:

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER [OP] Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    So upon further investigation, for 1st gens the bearings are pressed into the steering knuckle. So it must be taken off to be taken to shop to have bearing pressed. Since take off must replace upper ball joint non-useable parts.

Also bearings don't need any grease since they are sealed, but some grease for seals. I'd personally use Redline CV2.

MindFork likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    Correct did one myself it's a pita. But I did it in two hrs the job pays 4 hrs so shop will probly charge your around 150 to 200 with it off and taken in.
    You need a ballsy shop press I broke ours doing it.
    Remove knuckle. Press out hub, remove retainer clips or snap rings, press out bearing, when it comes out it will make a lound bang. Wear some glasses and have fresh undies near by, new on slides right in. Once you get it apart grease every thing ( u joint ) grease, reassemble. Super easy when you get the old on out.
    Good luck if you DIY this!

Products Discussed in

To Top