1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone REMOVED their daytime running lights?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yautja01, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    yautja01

yautja01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    NAVIKS satnav motion lock-out disabler. Stant locking gas cap.
    I need to know ALL the parts and part numbers that I will need to disable the DRL on my 2011 Tacoma. Anyone know exactly what I'll need?

P.S. I do NOT want to hack anything, I just want to know what parts I'll need.

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Most people add DRL to a truck that didn't have it. You might want to post a wanted-to-buy add here and just buy someone's non DRL parts that they took off. That seems like the easy way to go. Anyone who's done the DRL install would know exactly what came off and be able to sell it to you.

Also, someone figured out how to wire a switch to turn the DRL on and off. No time to search for it right now, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find. I think all you would really need to do is disconnect one wire under the dash. Not sure if that's hacking to you or not, but the article is on here if you search for it.

Sorry I don't have any personal experience to offer you, but at least I bumped your thread!:D

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
  4. Aug 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    JRader1790

JRader1790 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pascagoula
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4x4
    New to Tacomas, but do the DRL's not have a single fuse that can be pulled? Reason I ask is because that's how it was on my Silverado, single fuse and done.

5. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I personally installed DRL on my 05 for the reason that it did not come with them. you have to get behind the fuse box and disconnect the relay and the jumper. Poof! DRL's are done. there is a link(somewhere on this forum) of the procedure. just do it and disconnect the relay+jumper :)

6. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    TXBulldawg

TXBulldawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver 4Runner SR5 4x4
    In progress...
    I just recently snipped the wire on mine. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it was a helluva lot more simple.

There are a few write-ups around here covering the installation of DRLs along with pics and part numbers. I referenced these just to figure out what wire to snip and how to get to it. Didn't take too long, but if I wanted to do the full swap, it would've been a bit more involved. The area of interest is on the backside of the fuse block behind the little pull-out tray on the left side dash kick panel. I got the fuse block out just enough that I could snip the wire and take care of the exposed ends.

Do the following Google search: Installing DRL site:tacomaworld.com

Here's a lengthy thread covering the installation of the DRL module:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1475-05-drl-daytime-running-lights-install-oem.html

There's some discussion in there from folks disabling their DRLs and swapping modules with folks who want the DRLs.

Here's the thread covering splicing in a switch:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/19468-05-drl-enable-disable-switch.html

That one gives more detail about exactly which wire needs attention.

7. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    It's kind of a pain in the arse, but if you can give me a few days I could probably dig up my OEM parts and give you part numbers, or sell them cheap. My truck did not have DRLs, but I installed them (2009). It's only a relay and a jumper wire, IIRC.

8. Aug 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    It seems most people want to disable the DRL because they feel it looks ulgy. I was not a big fan of them either, and would have ordered a truck without them if I was given a choice. But now after driving with them for 3 years I have found other drivers yield much more, ie the guy on the bubble of making a left turn right in front of you as you pass thru the intersection waits and does not go. And, you just seem to notice less people pulling in front of you, merging into traffic, or when passing and doing lane changes drivers giving more room, etc. It makes it safer to drive, and if you really love yourself and your truck you might want to keep them on for awhile and see for yourself... :)

9. Aug 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I know whet the NON-DRL relay looks like but what does the NON-DRL Jumper look like?

10. Aug 2, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think there is a non-DRL jumper. The relay plugs in where the jumper would be.

11. Aug 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    My insurance co gives me a discount for having running lights.... :cool:

12. Aug 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yeah, I don't want to start cutting and splicing anything. So the...

NON-DRL Flasher Relay

and the...

NON-DRL Jumper

...are all I'm going to need to disable the DRLs? Does anyone have part numbers for these 2?

13. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
  14. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unless the pictures lie, there is no jumper.

Here is a post with an ad for the DRL jumper and the non-DRL relay.

The non-DRL relay in that post is part number 81980-50030.

The best thing for you to do is to go to the parts counter and ask them for a relay for your year Tacoma. They can look it up there. Maybe it's the same as the one above.

15. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    PROBLEM

OK I got the NON-DRL flasher relay Part Number 81980-02030 and I followed the steps to get to the back of the black fuse panel. I removed the big black DRL flasher relay along with the 3 connector jumper and plugged in the NON-DRL flasher relay into the socket where the DRL jumper's gray plug previously occupied. Then I plugged everything else back up and tested it. The flasher works BUT the front turn signals do not work. The rear ones DO work, but the front ones DO NOT. I must be missing something.

Now for the record I completely removed the DRL Jumper (3 plugs) and the DRL flasher, and I plugged in the NON-DRL flasher into the socket previously occupied by the gray plug of the DRL jumper. WHAT AM I MISSING?????

16. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    The DRL Relay/Jumper is two ends on one cable. How did yours have 3 plugs. The Non-DRL would go in the Top Plug. Does that help?

17. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    The Jumper has 3 plugs. One plugs into the DRL Flasher relay, the other 2 plugs plug into the big black fuse panel (one gray, one white) so that's 3 plugs total.

18. Sep 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    NOT intstalled, but REMOVED them? I need 1st hand help on how to REMOVE the DRLs off my Tacoma. Please DO NOT link me to this link... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1475-05-drl-daytime-running-lights-install-oem.html
    ... because it did NOT help me in removing my DRLs. I did the opposite of that link and only the REAR turn signals worked, the FRONT turn signals DID NOT work. There is something I missed.

I got the NON-DRL flasher relay Part Number 81980-02030 and I followed the steps to get to the back of the black fuse panel. I removed the big black DRL flasher relay along with the 3 connector jumper and plugged in the NON-DRL flasher relay into the socket where the DRL jumper's GRAY plug previously occupied. Then I plugged everything else back up and tested it. The flasher works BUT the front turn signals do not work. The rear ones DO work, but the front ones DO NOT. I must be missing something.

Now for the record I completely removed the DRL Jumper (3 plugs) and the DRL flasher, and I plugged in the NON-DRL flasher into the socket previously occupied by the gray plug of the DRL jumper. WHAT AM I MISSING?????

19. Sep 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Hey....Ill take the DRL stuff.....Ill pay shipping...

20. Sep 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Only if you can give me 1st hand help in removing my DRLs and have all the lights work conventionally.

Products Discussed in

To Top