1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Heated Mirrors DIY mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benson X, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    Cooter1

Cooter1 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Pontotoc, MS
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TSS DCSB MGM
    Great thread!! Great idea!! Great DIY!! Thanks Benson and Thanks Mike (numerous pm's from myself).

Looking forward to having some heated mirrors!!

Sub'd!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Dec 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    malay4785

malay4785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    Just ordered all the parts! Everything on the bottom half of the list you can find on Amazon if you prefer the PRIME! Actually ended up getting a terminal kit box (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZBAIYQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which i believe has everything except the sumitomo terminals and the quick splices.

Gonna dry assemble everything and just tap it into the fuse box to see if i get some heat before I attempt to dismantle the mirrors and panels. Hopefully everything comes in so I can try this next weekend!

3. Dec 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I was another one who spend a ton of time trying to figure out why my mirrors weren't heating up. Finally determined that the switch that I received wasn't working.

Here is a simple way to test out your switch. Pin 5 gets 12V. Pin 4 is the switched ground. Pin 3 goes to ground. Once you have 12v going to pin 5 and pin 3 is grounded, put your meter on 3 and 4 and check for continuity. Check that you don't have continuity before the switch is pressed (in this case the mirrors would always be heated). If you get continuity when switch is pressed, your switch is fine

Ben Gonzales at oemtoyotascionparts.com was awesome to deal with. All I had to do was send the switch back and he sent out a new one.

Thanks to all those that did all the work on getting this mod set up.

4. Dec 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    That is crazy how many switches have turned out to be defective. I'm glad you got it sorted out, but it makes me wonder the integrity/quality of the Highlander switch itself (granted we are using it in a slightly different scenario than intended).

Thanks for posting up an easy way for people to test it before-hand! :thumbsup:

That should hopefully avoid some premature baldness for some guys :D

5. Dec 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Has anyone extended the USB/Aux mount and relocated it somewhere else in the dash/console? It's not ideal, but I wouldn't mind even placing it inside my center console.

I'd love to do this modification, but I have the switch blanks under the HVAC filled already, and having an OR, I can't go to the left of the wheel.

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    malay4785

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    Did anyone use the quicksplices when they tapped into the two dimmer illumination wires under the dash? I pre-wired everything I could, only wiring left to do is under the dash but wanted to see if doing the quicksplices would be an option.

Thanks

7. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
  8. Dec 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I haven't done it, but I don't think it would be difficult at all.

Just extend the leads and cut some squares in your console (or wherever you decide to mount them). Take some pics, and maybe start a thread about relocating them :thumbsup:

Here are a few "similar" threads:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/286724-how-move-usb-plug-console-aux-intact.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-relocated-extended-cable-aux-audio-port.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/177642-usb-aux-input-12v-outlet-console-write-up.html

I soldered them and used some Quick-Connect terminals to unplug if needed.

You should be able to use QuickSplices no problem, just make sure you get the right size, since the Illum. Wires are either 18 or 20 AWG (they are skinny little guys).

9. Dec 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    malay4785

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    Not a bad idea if you need to add/remove. I saw from the pics they are tinly lil fella's. I'll prob do quicksplice to male/female terminals as a safety as well. Thank you much. Also, have you ever opened up the Highlander switch? I did (why I am still asking myself) and when I did, there was a small copper L shaped piece that fell out. I didnt see where it fell out from, but im assuming its the contact point that gets pushed into the switch when you press the button. Placement is right above the spring when you open up the innards of the box to reveal the timer circuit board. Hopefully it works when I put it all together.

10. Dec 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I didn't disassemble the switch, so unfortunately I can't help with finding where the L piece goes. The only thing I did was swap the green bulb for amber.

I hope you are able to get it back together correctly.

11. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    malay4785

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    Me too. once I splice the illumination wires and dry assemble everything, ill see if the switch works, and if not ill swap out for another switch somewhere in my switchbank to see if its the switch or wiring. Too cold to do anything outside right now though, will have to wait for a few more days :/

12. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    malay4785

Member:
    First Name:
    Malay
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 SW Double Cab
    If you check out the bottom of the first post here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/92593-jsenclosures-build-thread-3.html

He put in a switch bank in his center console and ran the wiring there. You could do something similar.

13. Dec 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    timmyedge

timmyedge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Layton, UT
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR DCSB
    Magnaflow cat back exhaust with down pipe, Volant CAI, BHLM w/new bulbs, 3000K replacement fog lights,Debadged/Painted/Re-badged to say TACO/ New JVC Dbl Din Nav in dash/ Fosgate 400W amp/ Fosgate 10" sub/Tacotunes box/ Order OME complete lift w/Daker springs and LR UCA's/Ordered SCS Stealth 6 Matte Gun Metal -265/70R17 Goodyear Duratracks, BAMF behind gril light bar, Custom Trial Ridge Sliders , bed mat, weathertechs, Wet Okles, All Pro Front IFS skid Plate, Plasti Dir rear bumper Future MODS-Skids IFS/Fuel tank, transfer, rear dif
  14. Dec 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    One of the best DIY thread on TW :thumbsup:

15. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    Is it possible to run this relay with no switch? By tapping into an iggnition wire would this run the mirrors for 15 min every time you start the truck? This is what I want, too many switches

16. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    No

The switch IS the timer. Doing as you say will keep the heat on full time.. even in the summer.

I doubt a heated mirror will last forever, so i would'nt do it like that.

A relay just keeps high amps/voltage away from a switch. If relays were never invented, we would have massive battery cables going to an ignition switch in the steering column to start a vehicle.... very impractical.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  17. Jan 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    AznTaco

AznTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport
    6" Fabtech Lift, ARB Brush Guard, Dougthorley Headers, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Spacer, 17" Moto Metal Wheels wrapped in 35" Wrangler Duratrac Tires
    Good to know, I was wondering the same thing about having it tied into the ignition without a switch. One of the next projects on my list and hope the electrical part goes easier this time :eek:

18. Jan 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB

posted this question to the guys who make the relay. They suggested their other relay that can have the time adjusted and connected directly to an ignition power source. So turn the truck on and have the mirrors run for 2 min and then shut off. Would be a pain for real cold areas because you couldnt reset the timer without turning the truck off and on. But for me I think it would be enough.

"Hi Dan,

Thank you for your interest! We have had several customers ask about using our relays with heated mirrors, and the standard response it to use the TDR-PMLC, as it has a delay time adjustable up to 30 minutes, can be set to turn on immediately with a momentary pushbutton switch, and can be prematurely cancelled by pressing the pushbutton again before the turn-off delay is finished. A lighted pushbutton switch, or a separate indicator light, can be connected to the relay's output to show the mirror heaters are on. This duplicates the way heated mirrors and rear defoggers are normally set up in cars from the factory, where a pushbutton with indicator light is provided to turn on the defogger or mirrors, and it will time out after 20 minutes or so, or turn off early if you press the button again.

However, if you just want the mirrors to turn on every time you turn on the truck, without any pushbutton at all, that can be done with our TDR-PML relay. It's the same as the above but without the "cancel" function. Just wire it up as follows:
    terminal connects to
    G ground
    +12 ignition-switched +12V source
    L output to positive lead of mirrors (can also connect indicator light)
    1 +12 terminal
    2 unused

Note: if the mirrors use more than 5A each, you'll need to use a secondary power relay. A typical 30A Bosch-style relay, available from any auto parts store for $5-10, is sufficient. Just connect the TDR-PML's 'L' terminal to the '85' terminal on the relay (one side of its coil), the '86' terminal to ground, '30' to +12V, and '87' to the mirrors.

The TDR-PML is available here:
    http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/tdr-m.php

Hope this helps!
    Dan

Daniel Wolstenholme

Tel: 480-620-0348
    Email: support@wolstentech.com"

19. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Great info Dan! Thanks for posting this.

It seems the Wolstentech TDR-PML Relay will work as a stand-alone timer relay for those who want a "switchless" ignition controlled circuit.

I would recommend if you go this route, to set the time-delay to 5-10 minutes (rather than 2 minutes). Depending on how cold it is, and what you are trying to "burn off", it will likely take longer than 2 minutes to fully heat up and clear the mirrors.

20. Jan 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    schwangster

schwangster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Qualicum Beach/Baja
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC, Ironman/Duratracs
    Ironman
    Installing mine today. Going well.
    But it leads me to wonder how much did Toyota save by NOT running 2 wires inside the mirrors? Like they do with the fog light wiring when there is no fog lights on the truck. Just crazy that you have to rip the cab apart and fish wires like this.
    But close to being finished. Should have a few pics.

To Top