1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel bearing replacement questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Fightnfire, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Oct 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Happy Sunday gents, I hope you are watching football and enjoying the family. Or partaking in whatever you find enjoyment in on a Sunday.

My truck developed a squeak that seemed to be tied to revolutions of the wheel a couple months ago it also stopped squeaking with any pressure, even a light feather, applied to the brakes. I recently had a brake job done at Firestone so I returned to them for the inspection assuming a loose pad or broken retainer clip. They said no issue with the brakes, but the front driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced and the front passenger side was also failing. 125,000 on the truck. Mostly highway miles and all off-roading is snow/gravel. No mud.

Here's my question(s)

1) After searching around for parts it seems Jersey's pre-pressed assembly is a great deal. Any thoughts on that? How does quality compare to OEM?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-complete-save-custom-built-available.288055/

2) Has anyone seen a video tutorial for replacing the wheel bearing around? I've searched quite a bit and can return 4 Runner videos but no 2nd gen Tacoma walk-throughs.

3) Firestone wants 500 each for replacement, parts and labor, the dealership wants 700 each. At this point I'm planning on replacing the driver side ASAP and the passenger side in a few months. I may also tackle the job with my brother in law who is a mechanic. With the pre-pressed assembly from Jersey how tough is this job, assuming no previous experience what would you estimate the completion time to be?

Thanks!

2. Oct 3, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Any thoughts, thanks!

3. Oct 5, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    I just did mine a couple of weeks ago using Bamatoy's hub/bearing assembly. It's a very simple, straightforward process. The most trouble I had was getting the right hub assembly out of the spindle. Go for it.

ETA: Here's a tutorial - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-replace-front-wheel-bearing-2nd-gen.189356/

Once I got the old bearing out, I cleaned up the bore in the spindle and reassembled everything. I didn't need to replace the seals on mine.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    BamaToy1997 likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    I came across Bama's hubs after I posted this, I think I'll be going that route. How long did each swap take you? Thanks for the link, greatly appreciated!

BamaToy1997 likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2016 at 6:35 AM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    It took me a bit over an hour per side but I did mine on consecutive evenings so I had to drag the tools out each time. I also took my time and being fat, working at ground level isn't conducive to speed...

6. Apr 2, 2018 at 11:02 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Well, today we got @BamaToy1997 wheel bearing hub assemblies installed and it went great. I highly recommend using these, they were awesome quality and shipped fast! Thank you Bama for making these available. My brother in law, my normal mechanic, is out so I had to reach out to another shop that installed both for $245 and commented on the quality of the part. Thanks for all of the tips and help!

Biscuits and BamaToy1997 like this.
  7. Apr 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Thanks for the kind words!