1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seniorredwood, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jun 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    seniorredwood

seniorredwood [OP] Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport, 4x4, MT, DCSB, MGM.
    Has anyone had to have their wheel bearings replaced? My truck just hit 100,000 miles and I'm getting a grinding sound whenever I turn. I got a quote from a local Firestone and they said 1300!! That's with an alignment and replacing both front wheel bearings. Has anyone else had to have this done? If so what did you pay? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hawapino and BamaToy1997 like this.
  2. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    mine lasted about 100k miles. i did it myself for the price of the parts around $100 for both sides . if you don't feel comfortable pressing the bearings in and out there are a couple guys here that sell the complete bearing assembly you can just bolt on

jungleman and seniorredwood[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    seniorredwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Is it difficult to do? The auto shop said it is a "major job".

4. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
  5. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    JayMac

JayMac I'm not bad... I'm just drawn that way.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLBFTMFW
    I had this done at about 185k, maybe? Went to Les Schwab. I want to say I paid about $400 something. It's been several months and I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. It was just the front left wheel bearing. Took a couple of hours, way faster than I'd expected.

6. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    That price seems about right for a chain shop
    Local guy did mine for around $300 per side on my 05
    All the guys at his shop drive toyos

At tire shop quoted me around $500 plus

jungleman and seniorredwood[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    seniorredwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
  8. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
  9. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Kemosabe

Kemosabe Little bitty life

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    URD STS, Spidertrax spacers, AFE Pro dry
    I would suggest to have a look to the seal behind the bearing too, when I did mine I notice the seal was deteriorated, and I really think it was before the bearing and let crap in and damaged the bearing. If you get a complete assembly I think the seal comes with it. If not you'll have to buy it seperately.

seniorredwood[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    w00dy and seniorredwood[OP] like this.
  11. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    What are the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?

12. Jun 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Grumbly sounds is one indicator. Gets worse as the bearings deteriorate.

DrFunker and seniorredwood[OP] like this.
  13. Jun 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    My left front bit the dust at 90k. Pretty easy to diagnose - there is a noticeable groan or slight grinding sound, which gets much louder when turning. It was barely noticeable going dead straight. There was no mistaking mine, easily noticeable groan coming from left front wheel every time you turned the wheel either way. I'm at 160k now and no other bearings have gone bad (yet).

To the OP, unless you DIY or have money to burn, just fix the bad one, not both. They are 2 completely separate jobs, except for the 2 minutes it takes to getting your truck on a lift. That quote seems incredibly high, a Toyota dealer did my work for around $350 for the one side.

14. Jun 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
  15. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    smokn

smokn Unsenior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD SPORT SR5 4x4
    So I read this thread and many others before attempting this job myself. I'm relatively mechanically inclined but have never used a press. I figured it would be a great excuse to add a press to my toolbox, so I bought the HF 12 ton and went to work. The press works fine, but you need the right scrap metal/bearing splitter/whatever to shove in between the the hub and bearing to be able to make it work. I wasted several hours and bent every piece of scrap metal I could find around my house before giving up and tracking down a machine shop.

Several of the machine shops in my town wouldn't even touch that hub. They claimed only Toyota dealerships dealt with it. My Toyota dealership which is typically quite reasonable wanted $220 just to press off and press on the new bearing, would have been $330 if I didn't already have it off my truck. This was only labor, I was supplying the parts. Luckily, I found one place in town that would take it on for a whopping $30. They're backed up with orders so I'm still left without a truck for the second day in a row.

Just a word to the ambitious. I don't think this is a hard job at all but make sure you either have the right jig set up for your press or have a shop lined up when that part of the job comes up. Better yet, just buy the preassembled bearing/hub. I would have saved so much money but I was cheap and now it's cost me.

Kemosabe likes this.
  16. Jul 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Holy shit..1300?! Took me an hour for each side, and that included everything from getting the wheel off to putting it back on. No alignment necessary if just doing the wheel bearing either.

Freeheelbillie likes this.
  17. Jul 27, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    I had NTB replace both front wheel bearings, total cost with parts and labor $565.00

"IF" I would have been able to find that whole assembly together I would have bought it and already had a garage shop lined up to do the labor for both front wheels at a cost of $85.00 each side but nobody online or through Autozone, Petboys, O'Reilly's, etc. could get them!

The prices ranged from as low as $99.00 - $170.00 each hub assembly with wheel bearings.

They all show that they sell the whole hub assembly together with the wheel bearings all assembled, etc. but again they would all say out of stock and would need to order them (believe it or not some couldn't even order them!?) and would take a few weeks!

I said "fuck that" I wasn't going to wait that long and just paid to have it done at NTB.

Now my Tacoma runs so much smoother too!

18. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM
    redz80

redz80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brampton, ON
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 SWB
    No parts manufacturer makes the assembly because it is exactically that an assembly. Anyone selling a complete assembly has bought all the parts and put them together. It is really easy to buy all the parts and have any shop press the baring on the hub. There are full an complete write ups on here with the part numbers. It cost me approximately $200 per side and I did the install. The hardest part was getting the old ones off .... Alot of pounding and prying....with more pounding....lol

Kemosabe likes this.
  19. Jul 28, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    cj13058

cj13058 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    ARB 3'' lift, ARE canopy, 265/75/16 All Terrain KO2, after market stereo, ECGS differential bushing, ARB Deluxe front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch, custom winch control box install, FrontRunner Slimline canopy rack,
  20. Jul 28, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^ This. Then do it yourself. I did it and it took me about 4 hours to do both fronts.

BamaToy1997 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top