1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by logcabinwc, Sep 15, 2012.

?

Which after market skid do you recommend?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2012.
  1. BudBuilt

21.7%
  2. All-pro

16.7%
  3. ATO

30.0%
  4. Relentless

20.0%
  5. Metalmiller

1.7%
  6. What's a skid?

10.0%
  1. Sep 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Killing me? That's so two years ago.

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    If you like Relentless, go for it. All of Eric's products are well reviewed, and if he doesn't make a skid plate you want down the road, either he or someone else will probably know if his IFS ties in well with another brand. FWIW, BudBuilt also makes a 1/4" IFS, and I'll bet most of the manufacturers will work with 3/16" or 1/4".

You didn't have to destroy your current iPhone to get a new one! Sorry to hear about that. You might try covering the screen with a single layer of clear packing tape to hold it together until you can replace it. Not sure how that'll affect the touch sensitivity, but it's pretty well frakked at this point anyway, right?

2. Sep 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i think to make this thread good and proper we need a picture of the crushed skidplate

3. Sep 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Excellent idea! That could be very helpful when big slabs of aluminum show up on my porch.

4. Sep 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Eric's 3/16 IFS lines up with the rest of his skids. Can't speak for skids from others though.

I would say that most skids IFS of different manufacturers are going to be compatible with mid and t-case, if you bend plates to the proper angles to fit and drill the holes.

I gather that not all of the guys probably use the same bolt pattern or angle for the back "wing" off the ifs skid. I had to bend the one I made with a floor jack and a GIANT pipe wrench and drill holes to get eric's mid to bolt up to it.

I think that you could probably with light modification (bending and drilling) make any ifs skid bolt to whatever mid. I do think though with the differences in mid and t-case that you'll need to run the same manufacturer of those. No mixing and matching mid and t-case.

I'm not sure of the exact widths of all skids either. I know Eric looked at mine and wanted to make his wider to cover those LCA mounts. Looking at Kevin's his isn't as wide on the bottom. All Pro is similar width to ATO.

5. Sep 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the Taco's.... new truck is pretty stock
    Bummer about the phone! I cringe every time my Razr maxx falls out of my pocket for fear of a shattered screen. So far just nicks in my screen guard, but I replace it every few weeks since it gets so scratched from all the metal dust/chips im around on a daily basis.
    When you've got the coin saved again, hit me up for a skid if you decide on mine. :)

6. Sep 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Try an OtterBox with a screen protector. A friend of mine was showing his off one night and claimed it was nigh indestructible. I skipped it off a car hood and it held up.

I was more impressed with that demonstration than my friend. If he didn't learn his lesson after I tested his indestructible flashlight, that's on him.

7. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, flow master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Federal Signal Siren, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom built expedition style bed rack and basket combo, TRS Projector Retrofit Hopefully soon: Avid Front bumper Light bar w/lights
    you asked for it!

and i threw in a pic of the phone... it's kind of weird cause its in a mirror, but I think you can figure it out haha

Edit: and i know some of you will notice that the front two screws are out... i just did that, im going to take it off for now so thats why the bolts are missing.

photo (1).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    photo (3).jpg

8. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    If width is your primary concern, Budbuilt has the highest coverage skid by far. It completely protects the front of the LCA cam bolt:

[​IMG]

That said, I still voted ATO because that's the fab shop who's work and attention to detail impress me most. Hence why I went with Armor Tech for EVERYTHING on my truck. I could've gotten similar stuff less expensively by going with group buys or other vendors. I wasn't interested in similar...sometimes the details are the difference.

Really, you should pretty much shop this one by shipping costs.

I WOULD be wary of 3/16s front skid. The front skid has the least clearance, typically, between the back of the skid plate and vital truck parts. It also has the most weight above it with the engine and front drivetrain/suspension. So, to get down to brass tacks, it's at higher risk of deforming from hits and worse things will happen if it does.

I'm a fan of 1/4 front skids. Just sayin'.

You may be talking about my truck during this incident:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ar...entire-weight-your-truck-ato-t-case-skid.html

I was very impressed with how the skid held up. The crossmember was bent upward some as was the skid, but without it I'd have caved in my t-case, driveshaft, and possibly the ass-end of my trasmission housing. I was a little taken aback when I looked under the truck and saw the whole thing was balanced on, essentially, a rock point the size of a basketball. We could tip the truck corner to corner and side to side, It was prefectly (accidentally) balanced on the t-case skid and crossmember.

9. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    My advice is to replace/upgrade the IFS skid now and shop around for an exhaust crossover pipe re-route, since you're going to want that done before ordering skids for farther back. I'm in the process of doing that myself.

If you haven't found it yet, here's a Relentless skid plate thread. If you want a response from BudBuilt, I suggest calling them. Lisa was very helpful on the phone, and I exchanged several emails with them once I actually made contact. Before the phone call, I emailed them and got no response for days.

If you don't want to do the re-route, you may want to look (or ask) for a transfer case skid that is flat instead of one with the small bump out for the exhaust. Looks like it'd just get hung up on stuff.

10. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

This is good advice. Those t-case skids with the bumps/cutouts for the exhaust crosspipe just make me laugh when I see them. That's asking for this to happen:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/118545-remove-differential-drop-your-05-tacoma.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MJP2 crushed in his skid plate housing that was making room for his diff drop, cracked the differential mounting arm, pushed the differential upward into the crossmember and oilpan, bending the first and breaking open the second. Basically, fucked his front end hard.

I'm not a fan of skids with hangup lumps in 'em. Just sayin.

11. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    That's exactly the example I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing it out.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how the Special Forces guys are protecting the Tacomas they're building up stateside for deployment to the Middle East? There might be some lessons learned from their experiences.

12. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Yeah, they're parking them and getting into a humvee when the shit gets truly nasty :laugh:

13. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    "Truly nasty" has a variety of meanings, but I get your point. I'd rather call in an A-10 than hop into a Humvee. :D

Still, I'd like to know what they're using with their Tacomas and how it's holding up. Military use was a huge boost to civilian offroading and basically started everything post-WWII. There's no reason we can't make use of that knowledge today.

14. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    For sure. IIRC most of the military-use tacomas were stock except for utility mods...things like gun mounts in the bed, sound dampening for the engine, that sort of thing. They were never really intended to leave dirt roads.

15. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Those welds failed.

It should also be noted that he races (really) his truck. As in race truck.

It wouldn't be good to hit your crossover drop at those speeds but it should hold together. The welds broke on his. They should have been stronger than the parent metal.

Not asking for that at all.

16. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Buds skids are also a bit different than the rest. You'll need a set basically. The stop/start points are goofy.

[​IMG]

17. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Pssh. He models it on jackstands, occasionally taking it outside to break it ;)

I stand by my previous position of "rugosities on skid plates are to be avoided where possible".

18. Sep 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Interesting. Nothing they'd add would protect them from mines, IEDs, RPGs, or heavy machine gun fire, but I figured they'd add at least some light gauge steel for protection from tossed rocks, brush, or Soviet-era debris.

A Rat Patrol rig would look pretty cool, though.

[​IMG]

Those stunt men had to literally get the piss beat out of them.

http://youtu.be/0ZcbifYqpGc?t=45s

19. Sep 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Also John, I know I'm not sliding off wet muddy rocks every weekend but I've done my fair share of big rocks out here and I've caved my 3/16 IFS skid a couple times but IMO, for the average guy on here 3/16 is plenty. Even I'm fine with 3/16 I've just had to pound out my skid a few times. I did make that one myself too. :)

Eventually I'll add some bracing. For most though, 3/16 is more than adequate, IMO.

20. Sep 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

There's this, not sure how verifiable it is:

http://www.brian894x4.com/MilitaryTacoma.html

I'd agree with that, I just figure for an extra $40 or whatever, why not? The buyer's already in it to win it for a few hundred. Just my opinion, certainly not the only one. Plenty of 3/16 skids out there doing just fine I'm sure.

To Top