1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with 06 to 2012 JBL upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Nonfatwater7, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Oct 3, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Nonfatwater7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    Map Light mod, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 5100's front set at .85, Eibach coils, Hi-lift bed rail mount, CB radio, Sway bar removed, 886 reverse light mod, LED tail lights and blinkers, Wickedflows exhaust, $4 aux/ipod input mod
    Hey fellas,
    I am looking for a little help with a small upgrade I am doing.
    I have an 06 that came OEM with JBL and I just purchased a fully loaded touchscreen JBL unit from a 2012.
    First and foremost, this has been done here before by Dibble9012 however it appears as though he is no longer an active member on this forum. He created a PDF with a write up and color coded wiring diagrams so that this could be a simple swap for future people. Unfortunately, the link to his PDF is no longer working.

(PDF is referenced in post 37 of this link in case anyone is wondering: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/f-s-2012-factory-navigation-radio.237764/page-2)

Does anyone have a copy of that PDF or know which wires need to be moved to which spots on the connectors?

Also, I'll admit I am not an electrical guru or a wiring guy. I have no issue working with my hands and following directions for electrical stuff, but I'm not always the best at figuring this stuff out on my own. SO, with that said, I also am looking for advice/help on which parts I need to purchase to make this new radio work.
    From what I am gathering, I need a GPS antenna at the very least to get the nav to function. I believe the am/fm antenna is different though as well? It at least appears that way just based on comparisons of the back of the 06 and the 12 radio. So what other parts do I need?
    (For now I am looking to stream music via bluetooth and get the nav working. I will rig up the mic and steering wheel controls at a later date, so we can focus on those later on.)

2. Oct 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    I've done the same upgrade but with a 2013 JBL.

I started differently as I went to a 2009 JBL first to get the Bluetooth and SAT (XM) capabilities. (props to member fbconvert).

His thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-head-unit-w-bluetooth-in-2005-tacoma.172745/

There are many threads that call these items you need. (Members: Jerez, adio, chetweewax, dibble9012, apoteker many more..)

Here's one: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2013-bluetooth-touchscreen-install-in-my-06.312741/

That would be the two adapters needed, antenna and 28 pin conversion.

You can shave your existing radio surround or buy a newer version.

3. Oct 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    Map Light mod, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 5100's front set at .85, Eibach coils, Hi-lift bed rail mount, CB radio, Sway bar removed, 886 reverse light mod, LED tail lights and blinkers, Wickedflows exhaust, $4 aux/ipod input mod
    two of the things I am still unsure about however are the bluetooth and the antenna adapter.
    So for the bluetooth, do I need steering wheel buttons to have full functionality?
    Can i make and receive calls without them?

For the antenna adapter, where does the little blue wire go to? Or is it left unused?

4. Oct 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    For the antenna adapter's blue wire, it wasn't needed. I just added a barrel connector to clear the end.
    For bluetooth, I believe you do need the right side steering wheel control, the ribbon cable to connect to the left side and the microphone.
    This is what is noted in fbconverts thread.

You also have to run the additional cable connected from the AMP to the radio and the speed wire from behind the glove.
    I would say to read those other threads. Lots of information.
    Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    It's been a few years since I did mine.

5. Oct 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    Yeah man I've been scrounging for weeks. Trying to figure this out. Read about every thread a million times just can't figure it out. Is there a write up regarding the speed wire and additional cable?

6. Oct 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    Its the first thread I attached. fbconvert
    There may be other routes to get the same results but this is the way I did mine.
    His first post shows a picture of the wiring for the bluetooth.

7. Oct 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    So you have the steering wheel controls then installed on yours?

8. Oct 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    yes, purchased from Camelback, one of the vendors here. I also purchased the 28 pin adapter and ribbon cable.
    I used a overhead mic on mine instead of purchasing the mic that some of the threads call out for.
    The antenna adapter I bought on ebay. It was the cheapest I found.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    Ah gotcha ok for some reason I was under the impression you didn't have the steering wheel controls

10. Oct 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    I just looked at ebay for the adapter. If your not in a hurry, less than $3 from China.

11. Oct 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
  12. Oct 5, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    Nonfatwater7

Member:
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4 Indigo
    ok I did a little more reading today and last night and I'm confused about the gray wire running from the back of the head unit to the connector at the amp. In fbconvert's write up of 2009 to 2005 jbl he has a wiring diagram about halfway down his first post and it has a bright blue background. There is a white and black wire running from the back of the head unit to the connector and I get that, you simply need to make those pins connect via splicing. No problem. I also understand the speed wire, although i dont understand what exactly it does I do understand that it needs to go from that junction to the amp. But what is that gray wire that makes a loop from the head unit to the amp? It doesnt look like it ever actually connects to the amp. Thank you for the help with this by the way!!! I am not a whiz with electronics. I'm more of a motor and metal kind of guy lol.

13. Oct 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    othater

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    The gray is the shielded wire that is wrapped around the conductors.
    Helps reduce noise.
    I've seen on the other threads that they ran single wires did not use a bundled cable and it seem ok.
    Do a search for shielded wire (either 4 or 6 wire) on google or ebay for a picture of the wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top